7.28.2010

Andrew Chen of "Audrey & Dre" - an Excerpt

This is from my interview with the main man himself:
Moi: Now, it’s my understanding you got into acting with the intention of changing views of Asian Americans (males in particular). However, there’s this notion that in order for people of color to “come up” in American media, they have to be in films and shows helmed by and starring Caucasians. What inspired you to audition for a Blasian show?

The Main Man: What inspired me to audition for the show was the fact that they were just looking for an "everyday man" that just happened to be Asian. That's what really drew me to the project. They weren't looking to fill the role of a stereotypical Asian nerd or tech wizard. "Dre" was just an everyday man with everyday problems. That's really what I'm trying to portray to everyone: Asian Americans are just everyday people with everyday problems and are no different than anyone else in the United States. We're all just people.

In the “intimacy” department, Romeo Must Die disappointed a lot of fans. Ninja Assassin was a source of hope, but it too fell short in that area. Once again, Asian male sexuality was repressed. What can fans expect to be different about Audrey & Dre in this respect?

"Audrey & Dre" definitely do not hold back in the area of sexuality. In fact, it's one area that they explore as a couple.

What was it like filming the intimate scenes in Audrey & Dre? I’m always amazed at how actors do that with a film crew in the room. Have you done such scenes before?

It was fun/crazy/nerve-racking all in one while filming the intimate scenes for "Audrey & Dre". I had never done anything like that before and was really concerned about making sure Audrey was comfortable with me in the scene. I think she kept telling me to loosen up and really "don't hold back". ;) She is great to work with and made the set really fun and relaxed, so having the film crew there really didn't bother me. I just relied on my acting training to really play the relationship so the scene would come off as intimate.

Never done that before, huh? Could've fooled me! Could've fooled a lot of us! I notice the ladies have expressed an interest in Mr. Andrew Chen. Just from watching the first preview, one commenter wrote: “… He's one of them sneak attack type dudes. You gotta watch them closely. They'll have the panties dropped before you can say "What?"” Another describes you as “…pretty sexy.”

Wow! I didn't know people wrote that about me. I'll have to browse through the comments. Hahaha!

I'll say! You're creating a ripple with the ladies. Are you currently attached (you know they'll want to know)? What do you look for in a woman?

I'm not married...but I know that's not what you're asking. ;)...Some of the key traits that I look for in a partner: She has to be intellectually stimulating; i.e., having her own opinions and interests that don't necessarily need to be the same as mine. I definitely look for someone who is outgoing and fun to be around. Being a driven individual is important as well; having a life goal or a purpose in life, regardless of how big or small it is.

Ms. Kelley stated in an interview that she was surprised there was such a great interest in the Blasian genre. What are your thoughts on this steadily growing market?

Prior to working on Audrey & Dre, I did not know that there was such a genre. I am happy that it exists and am glad to see that the genre is growing and strengthening its voice.
I gotta tell you - he's hilarious.  And utterly, wickedly, joyful.

24 comments:

  1. OMG, I'm so embarrassed, now he is going to read the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be! This is good! This is all very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She has to be intellectually stimulating; i.e., having her own opinions and interests that don't necessarily need to be the same as mine. I definitely look for someone who is outgoing and fun to be around. Being a driven individual is important as well; having a life goal or a purpose in life, regardless of how big or small it is

    Hey Andrew!!! You've just described me! I can do the polyandry thing. ;)

    I'm sorry ladies. I could not resist because Ankhesen started it with the panty-dropping. Throw in some Luther Vandross...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff in this interview. Seems like a really cool, down to Earth dude with a good head on his shoulders.

    The other great thing is that he's playing Dre "straight", as in he's just a regular guy dealing with life. He's not making a statement or anything else, just living his life and dealing with issues in his marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's not making a statement or anything else

    I appreciate this, too, Lenoxave. I must confess to feeling more than a little ambivalent about some statements that have been made in blasian communities. When I find myself wondering if the people married for love or for trophy-displaying, it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. Fetishes are creepy.

    @Ankhesen
    Explored sexuality as a couple? Explain please...

    ReplyDelete
  6. RE: Explored sexuality as a couple

    in the trailer that was previously posted they are shown reading some sex book and discussing things to try

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's actual a major plotline surrounding their whole sexuality which I did not. see coming. When Ms. Kelley sent me the updated synopsis, my jaw hit the floor.

    I'm really impressed with this show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fetishes are creepy.

    The fucked up part is that fetishists are in every community/combo, so that's why I'm proud the Narrative is a fetish-free, intelligent folks-only zone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Andrew's photo

    *cue Sexual Healing*

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know he's going to read that, right? LOL - write on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Ankhesen

    Your jaw hit the floor? I've seen some intriguing and kinky stuff over the years, thus, I can't wait to see something that'll make my head spin from the home front.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Hateya

    I meant about the writing. Like, everyone thinks is going to be "cute" but Kelley did some real writing on this. You'll be impressed with the twists.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Ankhesen

    I look forward to Ms. Kelley's writing and being impressed. I love twists, turns and flips even when pelvis bumping isn't involved.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Notice how his clothes match our blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Ankh

    Ha! They sure do! :)

    When is Audrey & Dre being released again? Soon, right?

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ Cinnamon

    Soon indeed. And it's about damn time!!!

    I can't wait to see this ish in its entire glory.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Audrey & Dre" definitely do not hold back in the area of sexuality. In fact, it's one area that they explore as a couple.

    Um, yeah! They'd better! Otherwise, what kind of relationship is it if they aren't getting their freak on? Not one I'd be interested in. Smut Queens like me need details.

    And, for the record, there is absolutely nothing wrong with fetishes. They run the gamut from tame to extreme, but there is nothing wrong with them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Andrew you are such a cuttie pie, sexy, and you seem to be very, warm, kind, and sweet. Too bad, You dont live in Ohio because seriouly I have all of those qualities that you are looking for in a woman. And soo much more !

    ReplyDelete
  19. And, for the record, there is absolutely nothing wrong with fetishes.

    Boo-boo, we're not talking about food, feathers, or feet. We're talking about dangerous creepy stalker-types consumed with racial stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We're talking about dangerous creepy stalker-types consumed with racial stereotypes.

    Oh, those creepazoids. Point taken. Keep the creep repellent nearby.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.