7.20.2010

Interview with Masia One - Excerpt

Just completed an interview with Masia One.  She had some insightful things to say (of course):
Moi: In recent years, we’ve seen a drastic increase in collaboration between black and Asian musicians (the “Blasian” Movement, so to speak). What are your thoughts on this steadily growing bond?

Masia: I don't really know much about this movement, but it would make sense given business interests shifting to Asian Markets like China & South East Asia. I'd make music if you were blue or green as long as you can flow and have a good vibe. I would find it more interesting to explore the collaborations between black and Asian activists in 1960s & 70s like Richard Aoki & the Black Panthers, Yuri Kochiyama having lunch with Malcolm X or even how Ho Chi Minh lived in Harlem - then consider how musicians are the new politicians and activists in this day in age. Email me your thesis papers please.

You seemed to have a serious tie with Jamaica. How did this come about? I ask because for someone who professes not to know much about the growing “Blasian” Movement, you appear to be a living example!

I travel so much that people are just people to me now. Sometimes when I'm in Bali, Indonesia, I think I'm in Jamaica or when I'm in Stockholm, I think I'm in Japan. I've gone to speak Chinese before, and blabbed a mix of French, Malay slang and Chinese before realizing the hybrid language I just unintentionally made up...I don't know how NEW this cultural mash up is - Chinese-Jamaicans have been facilitating recording studios and record releases out of Jamaica since reggae entered the music industry (look at VP records story). Bob Marley recorded his first commercially available song with a Chinese Jamaican.

That would be my take as well.  This "bond", so to speak, isn't new; but its existence is often shrouded...at least it is here in America.
*nods* My girl.

3 comments:

  1. I would find it more interesting to explore the collaborations between black and Asian activists in 1960s & 70s like Richard Aoki & the Black Panthers, Yuri Kochiyama having lunch with Malcolm X or even how Ho Chi Minh lived in Harlem - then consider how musicians are the new politicians and activists in this day in age.

    That's just damn deep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good stuff right here. I knew of Mr. Aoki and Yuri Kochiyama (she was present @ Malcolm's assassination).

    I did not know about Ho Chi Minh in Harlem. Now THAT is some stuff right there. She's absolutely right that the relationship has been shrouded here in America.

    I just LOVE reading conversations like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know about Ho Chi Minh in Harlem. Now THAT is some stuff right there.

    Oh, yeah...I need to know more too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.