7.18.2010

"Favorite Son", an Historical Cookie

On March 19, 1997, woefully underappreciated actor Garrett Wang made Blasian history by reportedly being the first Asian man to kiss a black woman on television (actress Kelli Kirkland).  Now, this little bit of broadcast history went right under the radar, of course, but you know... different rant for a different day.

Fans of Star Trek: Voyager remember Wang as Ensign Harry Kim. I was just a teenager when this show came on, but I recall Wang's charming nature and undeniable good looks won me over right away.  So when the episode "Favorite Son" came on, you can imagine my reaction.

Ladies, I tried to get you the actual kissing scenes of "Favorite Son", but my CD-ROM drive is acting up and in two days I haven't been able to fix it.  So I had to go to youtube and get the next best thing.

Behold:

11 comments:

  1. ok wow I wasn't expecting it to be freaky aggressive women planet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read the plot? I found it utterly hilarious. I like how Harry was smart enough to smell a setup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1997...damn. I wish I could see the actual kiss, but it's also nice to see the Asian man being the male catnip, even if it turns out to be a trap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When in a jam...Netflix!!! Season 3, 20th episode!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know he was the first. Hmmm... I vaguely remember this episode and I'm fairly certain neither his ethnicity nor hers registered with me. It must have seemed natural... Please let me know if you're able to get a rip of this scene.

    Kudos to Garrett! I appreciate you more now because I was a complete and utter Tuvok girl back then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm fairly certain neither his ethnicity nor hers registered with me. It must have seemed natural.

    LMAO!

    I didn't become a Tuvok girl until I was in my mid-twenties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Ankhesen - I didn't become a Tuvok girl until I was in my mid-twenties.

    I've always gone for the guy with the biggest and most productive brain. With Tuvok, I got "Spock" in color. I was downright giddy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Hateya

    As a kid, his dialogue went right over my head (much like Spock's did when I was a child). But as an adult, I began to see them in a totally different light.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Hateya

    What were your thoughts on Chakotay? Remember in the beginning when they found every possible excuse to get him out of his clothes?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Ankhesen

    Chakotay? Admittedly, it took me awhile to remember him because I wasn't as much into blatant male objectification then as I am now. :D I must revisit his clothes-less state. Next time, come bearing pictures. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL...another post for another day.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.