7.16.2010

Seoul Searching: Blasian Love

So I had an insightful conversation with my friend Jaeyong who I met this past spring semester as an exchange student at my University. He was in my computer programming class and will be finishing up his last semester at the University of Seoul where he is an Electrical engineering student. He is a very good friend of mine-my "Brother from another mother"- and is very funny and candid. His English is very good and I feel I can candidly talk to him about things that are considered taboo here, like sex, race, and relationships and not phase him.

On Sunday night, I met up with him and his friend Jisook who is a UOS buddy to a girl from Hawaii. The conversation quickly turned to relationships, as Jaeyong asked me what I thought of the Korean men in Seoul. I told him that many were very attractive. Then he asked me who was the hottest guy in the ISS program. I told him that there really weren't too many (there really aren't, mostly white Frat guys that just want to party and get laid) but if I had to say who was the most attractive, it would be Alex, a tall Black marketing student from Miami University in Ohio. The man is straight up mahogany and looks like a model, but his personality doesn't really match mine. I told him I made it a point to meet all 2 of the Black men in the program. He asked me why, and I retorted that I knew he made it a point to meet all the Koreans he saw on our lilly-white University.

While I was telling him, I noticed that Jisook was blushing. I asked her what was wrong, and Jaeyong quickly told me, "Oh, she likes Black guys."

"You like black men?" I asked excitedly, because I had been wondering about their perceptions about race and dating. "Do you like Alex?"

Slightly abashed, she said yes.

I told her she should go talk to him, but then she shook her head sadly.

"Why not?" I asked.

"Because I have a boyfriend already."

"Oh", I said but not discouraged because I felt this was an important chance to gauge their perspectives on Black and Korean relationships.

"So growing up, instead of Rain and T.O.P. posters, you had Ne-Yo and Usher posters?" I joked.

She smiled and laughed.

I told them that I had seen a lot of Black men with Korean women around but not many Black women and Korean men around. I also told them that I had not seen too many biracial children. I asked if they had ever met or gone to school with biracial children, either Black and Korean or White and Korean but they confessed they never had.

That's the thing, I have not seen many biracial children while I have been here. I've seen a white woman and a korean man's children but we were near the army base. The most beautiful children I saw were half Indian and half Korean; they were gorgeous but that was at an Amusement Park. At least in Japan I saw some biracial children in the streets of Kofu and on television, but none here. I wonder if many interracial couples decide to move their family to the United States, as many of my friends who are of Korean and Black descent live in America and only visit Korea. It is another thing I will have to ask.

So I asked Jisook straight up, who her parents would prefer her to bring home: a white guy or a black guy? She said with a sad smile, probably not a Black guy which sadly didn't surprise me at all. I'll have to ask if they know anyone in an interracial relationship and how their relationship is received in Korea.

I'll keep you posted on reception and perceptions of Blasian love here in Seoul :D

10 comments:

  1. Great dialogue! This caught my attention:

    I told him I made it a point to meet all 2 of the Black men in the program. He asked me why, and I retorted that I knew he made it a point to meet all the Koreans he saw on our lilly-white University.

    Did he ever respond to that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very interesting. Living in Ne York i tend o take interacal relationships for granted. I live in Brooklyn and you see interracial cuoples all the time. Black & white mostly, but I've seen a Asian and Black, Asian and White. There was a documentary on youtube about an Afician woman and a Korean man with their children living in Korea. He met her in Africa, I don't remember which ontry se was from, while working as a missionary. They had three children the first one died from a fever. The husban developed a drinking problem after the loss of his son. Then they decided to move to Korea. It was very cool, because they showed their life togther as a family iving in Korea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Ankhesen Mie
    He really just laughed and agreed. He knows what's up :D

    @Alphabitch
    That sounds like a fascinating documentary Do you remember the name of it because it's not too often you hear of Black women and Korean men

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this series. It's great to read all the insights and impressions from our "reporter on the ground."

    Nice work Bcbgrl...keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one is about a Chinese man who marries and African Women. It revolves around their wedding day.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgT5SZbED-M
    Part 1

    http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=W5nOC5c6HGc&feature=related
    Part 2
    I'm still looking for the one I mentioned earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm mostly lurking and reading on this series but keep it coming. This is very fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's curious. In all of these years, my husband and I have never ever met another blasian couple (BW/AM) and the children we've seen have always belonged to Japanese women. If it hadn't been for television or Youtube, we never would have known they existed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Alphabitch
    Thanks can't wait to watch it :D I hope you find the other one cuz that sounds incredibly fascinating
    @ Hateya
    Curious. Are you living in Korea or Japan

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Bcbgrl33

    I live in Japan. Now that I think about it, when we visited Korea (only Seoul and Pusan), I don't recall anyone staring at us. The biggest angst for us was everyone mistaking my husband for a Korean. People, from taxi drivers to people on the street or in the subway, would just start randomly talking to him. On the plus side, most people spoke basic Japanese and we were both treated well. Our biggest problem was trying to distinguish fried fish from fried chicken when it was sold on street stalls. I'm allergic to shellfish, so that was a big deal. :D

    Although my experiences in Korea are limited, I never got the impression that they were anti-blasian. It's a different story in Hong Kong...

    ReplyDelete

Read the Comment Policy before you post.

***Moderation is now in effect for posts over 30 days old.*** DO NOT POST AS ANONYMOUS.