7.18.2010

Sardonic Sistah

Blogger Sardonic Sistah ("Rentec" on Wordpress) is seriously pro-Blasian (you know, what with being married to a Korean American and all), and she provides great literary cookies, complete with news and pix.

Behold an utterly priceless excerpt from her post "Something New...But Not Really":
Something new really isn’t something new and probably surprises each generation when it comes around again. But I guess if you haven’t seen it then it’s new to you.

At one time it was new for me and I haven’t seen myself reflected back in the couples around me. But back in January I was running errands during lunch saw a young AM/BF couple walking towards me. I stopped and looked , trying not to appear too shocked. As I entered the building I stopped to talk to a friend and I saw a different AM/BF couple come in holding hands oblivious to their surroundings.

I haven’t thought much about although yesterday as I was working the desk I was approached by a Chinese man and African woman. I helped them find the book they were searching for and couldn’t help noticing the love taps that kept going back and forth, the shy smiles and the furtive glances. A smirk came over my face and I had to ask, “Are you two a couple?”

“No,” said the man. “We are students.” I told them my husband was Korean American and I just thought I saw something there. We began to talk about visiting Asia then he thanked me for the book and as they left they jostled and touched on the [w]ay going out.

Mmm hm, I thought.

Then later that day another young Chinese male came in to use a computer and of all the empty computers around he chose a table that had a few pretty young black females. I slyly watched their interactions; he smiled at one particular dark girl with long black hair. She seemed to be a bit attracted to him, too, because she kept smiling back and answering questions that I’m pretty sure he knew the answer to. I left the desk not knowing the resolution to their mild timid flirtation. Maybe they exchanged numbers or maybe they have other connections that might keep them apart. Who knows whom likes whom? How does one approach blank and what do we have in common? The modern dating dilemma is not something new, color withstanding.
And on Ninja Assassin, (a.k.a. the Narrative's Baby):
Most of the people who have seen it loved the action in the streets but not the lack of action in the sheets. Folks who are down with the bumblebee swirl were hoping for some hot lip action between the characters, but then I’m not sure if that is fair to put on an action film. I don’t watch many of them but from the few I’ve viewed romance seems to be secondary if it exists at all.What I find interesting is the perspective of two main actors. In early interviews Rain was saying there was a romance between his character and Naomie Harris’ character but when Naomie Harris gave an interview last spring she said there was only flirtation between the two characters but hopes that in a sequel a romance will blossom between the two characters.
*nods* Our woman.

14 comments:

  1. In early interviews Rain was saying there was a romance between his character and Naomie Harris’ character but when Naomie Harris gave an interview last spring she said there was only flirtation between the two characters but hopes that in a sequel a romance will blossom between the two characters.

    I still don't get the disconnect here. Why such divergent views, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @cinnamon,

    I think these divergent views indicate just how differently Eastern and Western people perceive love and romance. Hollywoodism is so in your face and sadly it looks as though many people in the world consider the gratuitous faux fuck-fest to be the primary indicator of love. It is possible Naomie, too, associates Hollywood "love" with sex or extremely passionate kissing scenes.

    The Husband has a slightly different outlook on this subject matter. Although he freely admits that Raizo's barriers were falling by the wayside like dominoes, he also doesn't believe that Raizo was in an emotional position to consider the possibility of love until after he killed Ozunu.

    Mind you, he wasn't just listening to the movie, he was also reading the subtitles. Whether they conveyed a different context from the English audio requires investigation. For example, at the end, when Raizo said, "Her heart is special," in Japanese, the kanzi for "heart" (心) was in quotations. I personally thought this was unnecessary until I read the English movie reviews where they inaccurately assumed Raizo was referring to the location of Mika's heart. Huh? WTF?!

    Anyway, The Husband said that once Raizo took his "first breath," he was in finally in the position to allow himself the possibility of love with Mika. Or at least, accept that he was in love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these divergent views indicate just how differently Eastern and Western people perceive love and romance. Hollywoodism is so in your face and sadly it looks as though many people in the world consider the gratuitous faux fuck-fest to be the primary indicator of love. It is possible Naomie, too, associates Hollywood "love" with sex or extremely passionate kissing scenes.

    Well, stated, Hateya. I've been wondering about that.

    at the end, when Raizo said, "Her heart is special," in Japanese, the kanzi for "heart" (心) was in quotations. I personally thought this was unnecessary until I read the English movie reviews where they inaccurately assumed Raizo was referring to the location of Mika's heart. Huh? WTF?!

    Anyway, The Husband said that once Raizo took his "first breath," he was in finally in the position to allow himself the possibility of love with Mika. Or at least, accept that he was in love.


    Fascinating! Discussion post, discussion post! We're gettin' an education!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Hetaya. I think Rain's statement that they had a romantic relationship is based on how romance is shown in Asia where there is maybe one kiss in an entire tv season, so affection is shown in more subtle ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Hateya

    That makes so much sense when you put it in that context. It couldn't be more plain: the constant life saving, the water bringing, the hand holding, the teasing, the smiles and humor that Raizo seemed to reserve solely for Mika, their protectiveness toward each other, Raizo's constant use of Mika's name.

    Yeah...it was pretty damn clear. Hell, even the fangirls picked up on these subtle clues, and you know how they can be.

    A kiss still would've been nice though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I don't get is how the romance happened so quickly. They fell in love...in one night?

    ReplyDelete
  7. they fell in love when Mika saw that video of Raizo, Rain has that effect on women o_0

    ReplyDelete
  8. What I don't get is how the romance happened so quickly. They fell in love...in one night?

    Do we know that it was only one night though? It seemed that way, but I know that sometimes directors leave the time issue kind of fluid on purpose so they don't have to explain certain things. Like how Mika and Raizo could have developed feelings for each other so "quickly."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that intense situations like life or death remove social/personal barriers. When your life is in the hands of another human being, emotions develop that otherwise would take more time.

    I don't know that Raizo and Mika even knew they were in love. I think they obviously cared deeply for one another.

    I agree w/Hateya's hubby in that the Ozunu had to go in order for Raizo to begin to live. Raizo then had a chance to explore things more deeply with Mika.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe I wasn't subscribed to this topic! I'll be back tomorrow with thoughts... I hope. **dejected**

    ReplyDelete
  11. Re: them falling in love fast

    on Mika's part I think it was because he saved her life when they first met so she kept returning the favor

    for Raizo, they clearly show his interactions with Mika as a mirror image of his relationship with Kirko, so if you meet someone that reminds you of your first love it is only natural to react to them

    ReplyDelete
  12. for Raizo, they clearly show his interactions with Mika as a mirror image of his relationship with Kirko

    True. The writers were very blatant about that. The water, the heart thing, the protectiveness, the repeated use of Mika's first name... Now that I think about it, I don't think Raizo called anybody by their (first) names except for Kiriko and Mika (as in, in conversation). Is that right? If so...wow.

    And isn't it funny that some fangirls thought that Raizo and Kiriko "made sense", but Raizo and Mika didn't? Very telling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The water, the heart thing, the protectiveness, the repeated use of Mika's first name

    Wow...the things you notice. Like the water...I didn't even catch that one!

    Great discussion, guys! I'm learning a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.