8.30.2010

Blasian Lit Thread #1

The Blasian Lit thread will be a continuous effort to collect as many Blasian novels as possible and put them up here so they can be easily accessed by anyone looking. I decided to include front cover images, synopses and links to where you can buy them just to make things smooth for fans of Blasian literature.

No Ordinary Love by Angela Weaver
"Alex Thompson believes that she has finally found the peace she’s been searching for.  Having left the U.S. Special Forces and settled in San Francisco, she has a job she loves.  Surrounded by children, this year she planned for things to be different.  But, as the bullets fly on an empty San Francisco street, everything changes.  Trying to uncover the reason behind an ex-boyfriend’s murder, Alex finds her caught up in the something that threatens not only her life but also the safety of the two people she has come to love.
Xian Liu is a global figure in the business world. A self-made man born in the southern countryside of China, he fought his way up from the streets of Hong Kong to become one of the leaders of East International, the world’s leading technology conglomerate. Still recovering from the death of his young wife, he turned to work instead of comforting his young son, Chou. Thrown together with Alex in a fight against an unknown enemy, Xian is about to rediscover the meaning of family and love only to find that everything he wants could disappear due to one man’s genius and another man’s vengeance."
 You can buy this book from Amazon US or Book Depository (my personal favourite, they offer free shipping on everything to almost any country). Read an excerpt here.



Wind Follower by Carole McDonald
"Although it is not entirely to her liking, grief-stricken Satha, a dark-skinned woman from a poor Theseni clan weds young Loic, the wealthy Doreni son of the king's First Captain. Loic, graced with ability to see into the hearts and minds of others, begins to help Satha overcome her sorrows. Despite coming from different tribes, they begin to forge a life together. But when Satha's own compassion is used against her and a treacherous enemy contrives to dishonor her in Loic's absence, Loic's love turns to anger and disgust. Embittered, Loic must still avenge his honor and Satha's and he sets out on a journey that brings despair as well as spiritual discovery. Battling him are the Arkhai, the spirits of the land who know his quest will lead him toward the God whom they have usurped. After his departure, Satha is kidnapped, sold into slavery and learns, first hand, how cruel the pioneering Angleni tribe can be. Both face great hardship, danger and anguish apart, but with the Creator's aid there remains hope they will be reunited and heal the love the world has torn asunder."
As you can probably tell this book is speculative fiction set in a world where there are four ethnicities, the Theseni, the Doreni, the Ibeni and the Angleni, whether or not Loic, the hero is Asian can be debated but I really believe he is because of the way he was described and from hints the author dropped here and there. The Doreni are black-skinned, the Ibeni brown-skinned, the Angleni white-skinned and the Doreni tan. I should also mention that this book is a Christian book and this may cause some to lose interest in it. I'm not Christian was at first reluctant to purchase the book. In the end, I loved the it and found it not overtly religious.

Amazon USA

J-pop Love Song by Shiree McCarver
"African American Charlene Alfred, a 41-year-old writer is about to have her first best selling novel Blu's Diary turned into an internationally released miniseries which features a jaded Japanese rock star that has hit rock bottom. Her manager gives her an ultimatum: use the Japanese lead actor of their choice or forget the project. When 24-year-old Japanese pop sensation known as Kane hears that the writer he's always admired, strongly believe he's too young for the crucial role, he makes it his mission to change her mind; only to find that there is a connection between him and this woman that defies all reasoning and logic. The building of emotions and passions between these two characters keeps you almost breathless as you journey to the beautifully exotic city of Tokyo, mixed with new technology and old traditions. Come and experience this amazing love story that will put two careers in jeopardy and two lives in danger as possessiveness, buried secrets, and lies, are exposed. Will love be enough to fight the ghosts of the past?"
Amazon USA, Book depository.

Honey Flava by Zane
"Honey Flava features an erotic feast of short stories with enough Asian flava to ignite fireworks. With an African American and Asian mix of sexy characters, Zane picks the most clever and bold male and female writers to deliver a collection like no other. Stories like Geisha Girl and Pins and Needles give tea and acupuncture a whole new meaning, and the word "Master" is a term of endearment in The Meaning of Zhuren. In tantalizing portraits of some of the hottest — and sweetest — scenes you'll ever want to experience, Honey Flava will take you to a sensual paradise of no return.
Zane delivers a new and special taste, proving that passion and sensuality have truly universal meaning."
Amazon USA, Book depository.

23 comments:

  1. I downloaded Kindle for the PC and I have received my CC. Of course, I went wild buying books and it is such a space saver just to read them on my computer.

    J-Pop Love Song I have and Honey Flava is on the wishlist.... after I get paid.

    Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read J-Pop and while the story is compelling, the editing is godawful! If there's one thing I hate, it's a poorly edited book.

    It's full of grammatical errors. I was annoyed by how much this lack of professionalism, ruined a good premise and interesting characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great list... i really appreciate it *^_^*

    ...blasian books can be hard to find sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, hell no.

    We need to get rid of "ebony eyes" and anything else by kei swanson. She's a white author married to a black man and she exoticizes POC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swanson's also the one who described one of her black female characters as being "grateful" to a white ancestor because she doesn't have nappy hair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And her BW characters tend to be whiny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Ankh - Yeah, Ole Kei raised a red flag when I read some of the Amazon reviews of her book. She is forthwith stricken from the list. Awful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, Ole Kei raised a red flag when I read some of the Amazon reviews of her book.

    Mmmhmm...that was some creepy shit. Did you know she's a grandmother?

    And for those of you who haven't picked up of a copy of "Ebony Eyes" (the title bugged me from the get-go, FYI...made me flash back to some fanfic writer who described Nyota as having "Nubian Eyes") the beginning of her dedication reads thusly:

    As always, to my hero, Tom, the love of my life. Without his help, support, prodding, and insight in the world of the African-American male, I would be lost.

    *retch*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Without his help, support, prodding, and insight in the world of the African-American male, I would be lost.

    Based on the book reviews that I read, its obvious that she has absolutely no insight into the world of African American women...nor has she tried to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Lenoxave

    I've started reading J-Pop Love Song and am really enjoying the characters and the storyline so far, but I agree 100%...the poor editing is driving me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Based on the book reviews that I read, its obvious that she has absolutely no insight into the world of African American women...nor has she tried to.

    Abysmal, isn't it? I tried to read Ebony Eyes and it was like pulling teeth. The BW is named "Corie" and she whines all the time like a spoiled WAP.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...Oh I remeber reading a review of a book called Ebony eyes (or something like that) and the protagonist was a japanese american man and a african american woman author of the book was a white woman. Anyway in the reviews I read on Amazon people were pissed that the author kept mentioning the black woman's long lush hair and there was a line that she was thanking her recent white ancestry for her long hair. When the reviewer said how black woman who are not mixed have long hair too and showed Utube vids like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oma1FnsDPOA


    Damn it...I knew I'd been previously warned about this!!! It's Aiyo's comment from the "Uhura" thread on my site!!!!

    Damn...things really do come full circle, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Ankh
    One of the reviewers said that Corie was nothing more than a "painted white woman." One of the main themes that pissed me off the most is the immature, childish nature of her black heroines. (And from what I can gather, it seems to be a carryover trait in all her books with black female leads.) I think that's very telling.

    Whitening her black heroines and making us into immature brats. *smh* It's like fanfic gone professionally amok. I don't understand why she feels this burning desire to write black heroines if she's not going to do it right. Why doesn't she just write a white heroine and get it over with? Sheesh...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Because her view and her opinion is all that matters, remember?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This Kei Swanson person is the main reason why I simply do not wish to read blasian books written by people who have never even been in a blasian relationship. There are BILLIONS of Asian guys out there. Do *knock it* before you write it.

    I'm glad to know she's "white" because I don't buy fiction books by "white" authors, especially female romance writers. Hello no!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @eccentricyoruba

    I forgot to drop the positive vibes. I'm definitely interested in Wind Follower by Carole McDonald. I love speculative fiction.

    Thank you for uploading this information. I will read all of the threads and will definitely purchase some of the books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Lenoxave, that's a big problem with some of Shiree McCarver's works, they tend to be badly edited and filled with spelling and grammatical errors. it does take away from what would otherwise be excellent works.

    @Ankh *jaw sags* i had no knowledge of this except that she is a white woman (couldn't find an author picture on her site though) and included Swanson's books because they had a BlAsian theme. thanks for taking them off already. goodness! and i always assumed she was married to an Asian man. to think that i already own a Drummer's Beat to Mend *sobs*

    @cinnamon, as far as i know she has written books with white heroines and Asian heroes but damn that woman seems to have some kind of vendetta i mean how is she relying on an African-American MAN to get insight into African-American WOMEN? that's just crazy.

    @Hateya thanks for the positive vibes. The Wind Follower is a great book i totally recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds as if she thinks we're all the same in our "blackness", or in other words, privileged, WP thinking. From what I understand, she writes the Asian heroes just fine...it's the black heroines she seems to have a problem with. There seems to be something deeper going on here that she needs to have an internal dialogue about before she attempts to write another POC heroine.

    And if she is getting all of her insight from her husband, that's just as telling. Judging from the way that she writes her black heroines, he obviously has some pretty effed up ideas about the way that we think and act. Hmmm...perhaps that's why he's married to a WW in the first place. I'm just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  19. @hateya
    This Kei Swanson person is the main reason why I simply do not wish to read blasian books written by people who have never even been in a blasian relationship.

    I've never dated an Asian man before, but I would love to write a Blasian love story. But if I felt that I couldn't do the story or the characters justice--culturally or otherwise--I'd scrap it in a heartbeat.

    But that's just me. Either I do it right, or I don't do it at all. But then again, since I'm not operating from a place of privilege, I guess it's par for the course. As a human being and a POC, I feel that I'm obligated to give 100% of myself if I'm going to write about someone else's culture (no matter what their race or ethnicity happens to be). Swanson on the other hand, does not seem to feel any such obligation.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @cinnamon

    I'd trust you to write the story for the reasons you've already given. As expected, Asian men are pretty much like their other Y-chromosome compatriots. I've dated enough to know this; however, there are subtle things that make each individual group of men within each ethnic group different. The subtleties would give a piece credibility, at least in my eyes.

    You don't necessarily need to be a part of a blasian relationship to get the general gist. You can read their literature, written by their authors and translated by a trustworthy source or you can sit down and watch at least four of their dramas. Though the translations might be off somewhat, it hardly matters. You need to watch how men interact with women and how they interact with men as well.

    I think writers focus far too much on the cultural things listed in guide books or things they gleam from the internet without realizing that these things do not actually make up the core of the person or the societies in question. They also forget that the primary differences between a man and a woman is GENDER, not race or culture.

    I have a bigger problem with most, but not all, blasian literature I've read. Those authors expend a lot of energy researching Asian cultures and empowering the Asian man, yet the leave the black woman dangling. I include both black and "white" authors in this category. They act as if the man and his culture are everything and hers is irrelevant. Nothing pisses me off more than the implication that our mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, culture, traditions and history are just footnotes. We matter!

    ReplyDelete
  21. To add to what Hateya said,

    Talk to Asian men. They're in forums. They're writing blogs. I'm sure if you browse long enough and find a few nice guys, they'd be willing to submit to an interview or two.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Is "Honey Flava" by Zane good? I don't think it's all BW/AM stories though, is it? I haven't read all it, and I only thumbed through what was able to read. I can't even remember if she wrote any of those stories herself.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Add on: And I do know it's an anthology, but sometimes she put a few of her shorts in there as well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.