8.04.2010

Interview with Big Phony - Excerpt

It was through the Narrative that I learned about Ktown Cowboys.  It was through Ktown Cowboys that I learned about Bobby Choy a.k.a. Big Phony.  And it is with great thanks to the Narrative that I present an excerpt from an interview I did with Big Phony:
Moi: I watched the MTV-K clip which discussed your desire for people to focus on your music, not your ethnicity. Do you find yourself having to politely “redirect” people in your career?

Big Phony: I used to feel strongly about hiding my ethnicity to force people to "face the music", so to speak. I feel less like that lately. I have no agenda really. I welcome anyone who cares to listen.

I mean, has your ethnicity even influenced your music at all? If so, how?

A little, but not a lot. I wrote a song called "A Country Apart" that somewhat deals with wishing I was "white", a little.

It appears you've since embraced your color. You’re a very good-looking man, so all-American aesthetics be damned. Now, how long have you been being playing professionally, and how did you get started?

Professionally I got started really late. I've been at it for 5 years now? It all started when I quit a job at a law firm I was at for 2 years. I was just unhappy and didn't see an end to it so I quit my job, took a loan from my brother Eddy, and 2 weeks later I was on a plane from Los Angeles to NY to record my first album. Haven't looked back since.

You? At a law firm? Seriously? Never saw that coming! So what advice do you have for young, struggling musicians of color who often themselves discouraged?

Be excellent at all you do. Don't be lazy, it shows in your work. Just because words rhyme doesn't make it good. Don't make us look bad! Find people you trust to tell you truthfully if you have something unique to offer the world, or the potential to reach that. Unless you're a fantastic multi-tasker don't try to do everything yourself. Focus on your craft! In & Out: best fast food burger on the planet, get some!
*squeals*

9 comments:

  1. I like how you ended with a squeal

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's a peach. Good life lessons that anyone can relate to. I wish him the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here I enjoyed this interview :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. He politely requested that we didn't discuss his love life. It was so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A little, but not a lot. I wrote a song called "A Country Apart" that somewhat deals with wishing I was "white", a little.

    I think most of us has been here at least once growing up. I got over it real quick though. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think most of us has been here at least once growing up. I got over it real quick though.

    You know, I think he did too. The way our interview went was just, I dunno, harmonious? I particularly liked his advice for struggling musicians of color.

    Be excellent at all you do. Don't be lazy, it shows in your work. Just because words rhyme doesn't make it good. Don't make us look bad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be excellent at all you do. Don't be lazy, it shows in your work. Just because words rhyme doesn't make it good. Don't make us look bad!

    That can also be applied to anything POC do (writers, actors/actresses,regular 9-to-5ers). You know how it is...it's that old Black (POC) Tax at work. We have to do evertying twice as good as WP for it to be considered kinda, sorta in the same league.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just watched Ktown Cowboys for the first time. LOVED IT!!! I want more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah...that bonus episode is takin' awful long....

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.