11.18.2010

Blasian Lit Thread #4

I've come across two more books that can be classified as Blasian literature so I'm adding them to our ever-growing list.

The Good, the Bad and the Naughty by Lena Matthews. This ebook was mentioned in the comments section somewhere here. I've bought the book but haven't read it yet.
"Maryam James is a hard taskmaster. A balls-to-the-walls type of woman who started her company with nothing more than a strong idea and a loan and turned it into one of the Top Fortune 500 companies in America. There’s only one person she trusts implicitly and that’s her personal assistant Xavier Sun, who, much to her dismay, has just turned in his resignation.

Maryam is the one woman Xavier can’t live without. She may be in command in the boardroom, but he's in control in the bedroom, and if he learned anything from being by her side for the last seven years it was Maryam doesn’t know how to take ‘no’ for an answer. So it’s no surprise to him she basically forbids him to quit. Leaving is the last thing on Xavier mind, however. He’s willing to put his job on the line, if it will get Maryam to realize the depths of her feelings for him." ~ Loose id

Reading the Ceiling by Dayo Forster. Reading the Ceiling is actually a book I'm very excited about, why? Because it is the first book with Blasian themes I've come across that; was written by an African woman (Dayo Forster was born in The Gambia and lives in Kenya. Her name is Yoruba so she's very multicultural in the African sense), is set in an African country (the Gambia) and features an African heroine. The blurb doesn't give anything away though there are different blurbs online.

I found the book at the mall yesterday and liked the cover (not the image on the left) while flipping through I noticed a section title 'Yuan' and I immediately became curious, read some parts from that section and bought the book. From what I've read so far the character Yuan Chen is the son of Chinese immigrants who run a restaurant. Reading the Ceiling is a coming of age novel and I have no idea how it is going to end.
"Ayodele’s life will tread a different path depending on a decision she makes on her eighteenth birthday, on the cusp of womanhood; but how will she choose?

One path will send Ayodele to Europe, to university – and to the pain of first love. Another will have her travel the globe after suffering immeasurable loss. Still another will keep her in Africa, a mother and wife in a polygamous marriage. And in each of Ayodele’s possible lives we see how the interplay of choice and fate determines the shape of our lives. What part of us would be different if we had made different decisions? And what part of us would stay the same?" [This was the blurb on the book I bough. It is from the author's website]
"It is Ayodele's eighteenth birthday in her native Gambia - it is the day she has decided to lose her virginity. She's drawn up a short list: Reuben, the failsafe; Yuan a long-admired school friend; Frederick Adams, the 42-year-old, soon-to-be-pot-bellied father of her best friend. Ayodele's life will tread a different path according to this night's decision; but how can she know which one to choose? Tracing each of Ayodele's possible stories, Reading the Ceiling takes us from Gambia, to London, to Boston and Mali as Ayodele confronts dilemmas universal to women across the globe: what do we settle for, how long do we wait for love - and what are the consequences of our decisions? Dayo Forster's first novel is a remarkable achievement: fresh, funny and wholly authentic, it paints a compelling portrait of the modern African experience for women." [From FantasticFiction]
Then again it tells a story in multiple ways and with three possible endings...either way I'm rooting for Yuan. ~ Amazon, Amazon USA, Book Depository

34 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

    Look at how much better the covers are getting. And I'm really digging these plotlines. Thank GOD they're in eBook format. Now I know how I'm spending my weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw, reading Lena Matthews' book right now...FANTASTIC.

    No spelling or grammatical problems, no cheesy dialogue, excellent characterization, and damn...she knows how to write a "scene".

    My only beef is that Xavier's character is "mixed". Three guesses with what.

    *pout* Why did he have to "mixed"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I was the one who mentioned The Good, the Bad, and the Naughty many many posts ago. (Y'all are prolific!) I hope you like it Ankh.

    I had the same problem with him being mixed. Not so much as a problem as I would have really preferred him not to be mixed with anything. It seemed kind of a sop to readers who'd have a problem seeing a fully Asian man as attractive. Or at least, that's how I read it. I basically just ignored that and kept the picture in my mind that had already formed. ;)

    I'm trying to find more blasian lit but the pickings are very very slim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to sell some art soon, so I can buy these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seemed kind of a sop to readers who'd have a problem seeing a fully Asian man as attractive. Or at least, that's how I read it.

    Bingo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My only beef is that Xavier's character is "mixed". Three guesses with what.

    *pout* Why did he have to "mixed"?


    If you get the chance to interview her for the Narrative, maybe you can pose that question to Ms. Matthews. I'm mad curious to know myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm also curious as to the rise of anal sex scenes in erotica. What is that all about?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like I missed the boat because in my three guesses I couldn't figure out what he is mixed with. I want to say white, but it could also be black...but I'm a bit confused because of the model who was chosen for the cover. It makes me wonder if the model is mixed as well. And if he isn't, why couldn't the character be full Asian? If they found an attractive full Asian male on the cover, then why did the writer have to play it safe and make his character mixed? A lot of things to smh about o_0

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ the Girl in Question

    He's mixed with white.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm also curious as to the rise of anal sex scenes in erotica. What is that all about?

    Say what now? O_O

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for clearing that up, Ankh. Sometimes I need the subtext to actually be text, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Ankh
    He's mixed with white.

    Of course he is... *smh* Why aren't they ever mixed with black?

    I'm also curious as to the rise of anal sex scenes in erotica. What is that all about?

    OMG! I'm not the only one who wondered WTF was up with this trend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's a long, graphic anal sex scene in the book which didn't turn me on at all. Scenes like that never do. That and...there's this....

    And as for Xavier being mixed...why does he have to be mixed? We haven't reached "that stage" yet, know what I mean? Can folks appreciate men who are full-blooded Asian first?

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Ankh

    Xavier's character is mixed?! Oh what a let down.

    I'm also curious as to the rise of anal sex scenes in erotica. What is that all about?

    I have absolutely no idea and I'm curious about that as well. I understand a few books these days are pushing boundaries, they are supposed to be "giving a voice to womens' secret fantasies" but I really don't know about that.

    @Alicia St Vincent

    Yes it was you! I couldn't recall the exact location of your comment which was why I wasn't more explicit.

    There is not enough Blasian lit out there but I'm discovering more each year. If you find any please make sure you leave a comment here ^^

    @leoprincess

    I hope you enjoy reading them when you buy them!

    @The Girl in Question

    And if he isn't, why couldn't the character be full Asian? If they found an attractive full Asian male on the cover, then why did the writer have to play it safe and make his character mixed?

    I'm shaking my head as well. She may have been playing it safe but most of Lena Matthew's other books feature black women with white men...perhaps that's why Xavier is mixed. Matthews is used to writing certain character types and she stuck with what she knew?

    I see a lot of authors who write exclusively interracial fiction with black women and white men, it'll be awesome if an exclusively Blasian writer came up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's a long, graphic anal sex scene in the book which didn't turn me on at all. Scenes like that never do.

    I'm with you on that one. I'll be reading along all into the hot love/sex scene then BAM!--the anal. It turns me off instantly. I usually end up skipping it.

    The funny thing is, the writer tries to make it read as sexy as possible, but it really doesn't work for me. In all honesty, it reads as if the hero is the one really having all the fun even though we're made to believe that the heroine is getting just as much pleasure out of it. I can never quite buy it though, but again, that's just me and my aversion to it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The funny thing is, the writer tries to make it read as sexy as possible, but it really doesn't work for me. In all honesty, it reads as if the hero is the one really having all the fun even though we're made to believe that the heroine is getting just as much pleasure out of it. I can never quite buy it though, but again, that's just me and my aversion to it.

    Bingo!!!

    And this book is really well-done. I was so into it until I read that scene.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I see a lot of authors who write exclusively interracial fiction with black women and white men, it'll be awesome if an exclusively Blasian writer came up!

    From your lips to God's ear! I wish I could put myself up to the task, but I'm tackling a G-rated story project at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ everyone

    One of my goals with Middle Child Press is to establish and solidify "the Blasian genre." I want it to be its own genre. Whether it's suspense, thriller, erotica, or what have, peeps will know upfront it's Blasian.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those sound good. I've been looking for something new to read.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @ Ankhesen - Awesomesauce. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Which reminds me...Middle Child Press is about to drop its debut erotic anthology. The first Blasian story ever to be published by us will be in this anthology; entitled "Lovesick", it's by Amaya Radjani.

    Psssst - the character of Dai (or Not-Dai, depending upon how you see it) was physically inspired by Raizo.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @ Ankh - rubs hands in glee. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow the secon book mentioned about the african one seems really interesting! I would love to get my hands on that ^_^ I guess I'm drawn to the "slice of life" genre. Perhaps it's cause I couldn't really relate to the first title mentioned. Not only that, but I noticed quite a similarity to this genre or prituclar focus of the book (the successful black woman, be it business or what ever) playing on this theme gives the exact outline of other black fiction by writers such a Zane or Dicky. The only thing that would make this story different is the Asian interracial aspect. Personally I'm done with all these books trying to push the idea of successful black woman who is drowned in work and over looking live possibilities because it's being played over so much to the point where it's unrealistic. There are not enough stories that show a poetic, sweeter, more attentive side of he black woman where she finds romance in an unconventional sweet way (Like the second book mentioned). There are not enough books like this. Not enough horror or idk..crime? What I mean is we don't seem to be expanding our boundaries as far as genre's go in black fiction. And interratial should be the very opportunity to do so. Just a off hand opinion xD

    Thanks for sharing this books, I will definatley seek the second one ^_^
    (hope my opinion wasn't too negative)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorry for the typos, I'm on my itouch :3

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ankh,

    I don't need to tell YOU how much you inspired me, and how "Lovesick" came to be. Writing from a Blasian perspective is new for me. I am eager to get more into this particular genre, as is evidenced by our conversation last week about the yin/yang concept.

    Also, it parlays into a very simple thing. I was blind and a victim of my own limited character perceptions. Not anymore. Thank God. Nothing like fresh clay for a prolific artist. More Blasian work to come from me...

    Two final things: 1. Ank, you rock. 2. Ank, you really rock.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just finished reading the story THe god, the Bad, the Naughty. It was okay, but the erotic scenes could have been so much better. Maybe it is me, there is just certain words I don't like in those types of stories. I don't like the really flowery ones either. Hell, I WROTE a better scene then that.

    I am on ff.net too but I guess it is under construction right now. I am under Reesechan

    A coworker of mine read it and she told me it was arousing. She didn't want to say that at first because she thought I would take it weird, but I take it as a complement. I actually heard from a former classmate of mine and other former coworkers who read my stuff and they like it. They didn't know it was me till they found one of my disks in their house.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lol DN mind if I check out your work?

    ReplyDelete
  28. @ankh

    anal sex?! yuck!! oh, lord... x_x

    ReplyDelete
  29. So I finished the book, and I've come to a couple of conclusions.

    1) The book would've been better off without anal sex. That scene was out of place.

    2) The quality of dialogue deteriorated towards the end. It got more mushy and formulaic.

    3) Matthews is a gifted writer and the editors at Loose ID are earning their keep, however...they need to give these writers more time. This book was too short; other than his looks and his 'tude, we don't learn much about Xavier Sun.

    4) *sigh*...because the book started off sooooooo strong.

    ReplyDelete
  30. :(

    I hope you'll fare better with 'Reading the Ceiling'.

    ReplyDelete
  31. @Kenji

    Sure, go ahead. Tell me what you think. I have been getting feedback from my stories again and I think I may start writing again. The latest story is a Blasian couple BW/AM.

    ReplyDelete
  32. @ leoprincess

    Hopefully. And hopefully an eBook version will be released ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  33. "Reading the Ceiling" actually looks and sounds really good. I think that's going to be an immediate add to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.