12.26.2010

Hel



The bad-ass black female character kick continues....

Was anyone else ticked that Cleopatra 2525 got canceled?  It had so much potential; I grew to adore this show rather quickly.  My main reason?  You guessed it...the legendary Gina Torres's portrayal of Helen, a.k.a. "Hel", the trio's team leader.

They couldn't have picked a better woman (she even performs the show's theme song).  I loved this character because once again, Gina Torres properly represented a woman of color in TV (too bad her show got canceled... again).  In the short time this show was on, we got to know her character fairly well, so at least the writers weren't trying to shaft her.  She was sexy, had awesome outfits, and wore cool hairstyles.  And oh yeah, she kicked ass.

What did you guys think about Hel?  How about the show overall?  I'd love to read some fic about Hel.

8 comments:

  1. I remember this show, but unfortunately, not not a whole heck of a lot. (I'm going to have to see if this is on Netflix.)

    The incredible awesome that is Gina Torres can't be contained by the small screen. Hollywood needs to recognize and give his woman her due. I think we have enough Jennifer's and Angelina's and their look-alikes to last us a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's available through Netflix and you can watch most of it on Hulu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it's a really. fun show. I'm seriously ticked it got canceled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *runs to Netflix to place on her queue*

    Man, that is a GORGEOUS picture of Gina. Claude, that woman is beautiful. I never knew about this show, so thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never had a chance to see this show. Since I don't have Netfix over here in never-neverland, I'll just order it. Gina Torres ought to rule the world and as such, I won't go illegal route with her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I won't go the illegal route with her and perhaps learn grammar/structure...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought the show itself was ok although the only thing I liked about it was the butt kicking. I do like Gina,in my opinion that show didn't do her justice too low budget. I think there was a ditzy girl on the show who turned me off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought the show itself was ok although the only thing I liked about it was the butt kicking. I do like Gina,in my opinion that show didn't do her justice too low budget.

    I'd like to think with more time it would've gotten a bigger budget and audience. It's timing was excellent, since it was fresh on the heels of Xena.

    I think there was a ditzy girl on the show who turned me off.

    That would be Cleo. It takes some time and a few swigs, but she grows on you.

    *squeal* The first two discs arrive in the mail tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.