4.15.2011

Han Sing & Trish O'Day: Romeo Must Die Screencaps

Okay, these were looong overdue. If Raizo and Mika are the King and Queen of the Narrative, and Demitri and Zoey are the Prince and Princess, then Han and Trish have got to be the Emperor and Empress. So much so, that Romeo Must Die was honored with its very own ten-year anniversary post just a few short months ago. For all intents and purposes, these two are The First Couple of the Blasian movement. Or at least one of the first in a popular mainstream media distribution.

I remember being fascinated by this pairing when this movie was released way back at the turn of the century. An interracial couple that wasn’t merely black and white? There was a definite “wow” moment that I can recall very, very clearly. It went something like: "A black woman and an Asian man? As love interests?  Really? Cool!"  Or something like that.  (Hey, I was young…give me a break.)

It’s obvious I'm not the only one that felt that way as there was certainly something about the movie that has made it such an enduring hit. The combination of Aaliyah, Jet Li, a bad-ass cast  and kick-ass martial arts was a recipe for success that people still talk about to this day. Still not convinced? Let’s look at the numbers then, shall we? The movie was filmed on a budget of $25 million. It grossed over $91 million dollars at the worldwide box office (nearly $56 mil domestically). That’s a profit of $66 mil, folks.  That sure sounds like a hit to me.

And despite the lack of a kiss, Aaliyah and Jet Li were absolutely adorable together.  Of course, "an urban audience" (what--just one?) was blamed for the lack of a kissing scene, but for the life of me, I can't remember that particular buzz at the time the movie was released.  Though strangely enough, I can seem to remember everything else.  Hmmm... 

According to a 2007 Washington Post article titled, "Slanted Screen Rues the Absence of Asians":
And Gene Cajayon, the Filipino American director of the 2001 film "The Debut," the first Fil-Am movie to be released nationwide in the United States, talks about the revised ending for the action movie "Romeo Must Die," a retelling of "Romeo and Juliet" where the R&B star Aaliyah plays Juliet to the Chinese actor Jet Li's Romeo. The original ending had Aaliyah kissing Li, a scenario that didn't test well with an "urban audience." So the studio changed it. The new ending had Aaliyah giving Li a tight hug. Says Cajayon, "Mainstream America, for the most part, gets uncomfortable with seeing an Asian man portrayed in a sexual light." (full article)
Dayum!  We get blamed for everything.  I'm not saying that they're aren't those of us with the capacity to disapprove of an interracial pairing, but sheesh.  (And to be honest, I'm not sure how much I even believe that.  WaPo needs to show me some proof or something.  My distrust for the American media is at an all time high right about now.) 

*sigh*

Anyway, whoever’s fault the non-kiss ultimately was, it’s a real shame that Han and Trish's relationship was unable to progress beyond heavy flirting and staring lovingly into each other’s eyes. 

What a lovely waste.

~     *     ~

Han watches Trish as she walks away.
Still watching...
 
 
 

~     *     ~


R.I.P. Aaliyah 1979 - 2001

***Please note that movie caps number 13, 15 and 17 were scrounged up on the 'net (they were better than anything I could capture).  The rest of the caps (movie only) were made by me.

23 comments:

  1. I remember when this movie came out. I was like, "Really?" The pairing was unusual, but I was excited cos I loved Jet Li. At the time, I was working with middle school kids (black and Hispanic, of course), and the girls absolutely GUSHED over this movie and this pairing. So much so, that at the time of Aaliyah's death, they memorialized her by drawing pictures of the two of them. Granted, none of them could draw for shit (I didn't know who the hell they were drawing; hey, 7th grade girls), but when I asked them who it was, they said "Aaliyah & Jet Li." I wish I had kept those pictures.

    BTW--LOVE the makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and WaPo's article about "urban audiences" not feeling the kiss between Jet Li and Aaliyah at the end is complete and utter bullshit. Those same middle school girls (who drive the market for movies such as these) COMPLAINED about them NOT kissing for days on end after seeing the film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember it well. There was a huge advert in Times Square for the film. As fans of Aaliyah (I still miss her), Jet, Russell, Delroy & Isaiah, I was enthusiastic about the film.

    WaPo lies! I remember being on message boards and folks were pissed that there was no kiss. I mean the heat went on for months about the lack of a snog. Stop blaming us dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooooooooh, no you didn't, girl!!!

    *sniff* Aaliyah...I'm still in denial of her death.

    I recall everybody being in thrall of this film. i remember being in high school and all my female friends came up to me and were like, "I now know what you see in Asian men."

    I'm cynical about the "urban audience" thing as well...because all the black people - male and female - I either saw this with or talked to about it were really annoyed that Jet Li didn't at least get a kiss. My cousin in particular (male) went on a rant about how the man (Li) had gone to hell and back and deserved to get some. He felt Jet's character had more than earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Btw, Cinnamon, the publicity photos are awesome. I'm surprised to see some of them.

    Awesome job as always, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. .....I could have sworn I saw them kiss on cable. O_O

    ReplyDelete
  7. .....I could have sworn I saw them kiss on cable. O_O

    Wishful thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My cousin in particular (male) went on a rant about how the man (Li) had gone to hell and back and deserved to get some. He felt Jet's character had more than earned it.

    Jet coulda got it from me the whole day long. I'm sure Aaliyah felt the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jet coulda got it from me the whole day long. I'm sure Aaliyah felt the same..

    LOL - she did. She was ticked to find out he was married.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you watch the "Making of" special, Aaliyah was talking about how much she and Jet had in common then looked at the camera and got this "hmmm" look on her face. It was funny.

    Then when it was Jet's turn to talk about Aaliyah, he got very flustered, blushed a bit, broke out into a huge, embarrassed smile and was only able to get out that she was charming. Judging by the look on his face, it was obvious that he could have (and probably wanted) to say a whole lot more. His body language spoke volumes. It was very cute.

    @Ankh

    Gracias.

    I'm cynical about the "urban audience" thing as well

    Whenever something like this has to be put in quotes, I'm automatically suspicious of it validity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What Making Of Special do you speak of? Can you provide a link to that video and i been looking for it but no luck :(

      Delete
  11. Oh, and WaPo's article about "urban audiences" not feeling the kiss between Jet Li and Aaliyah at the end is complete and utter bullshit. Those same middle school girls (who drive the market for movies such as these) COMPLAINED about them NOT kissing for days on end after seeing the film.

    I also remember the complaints. From black folks. That's why I also don't believe the "urban audience" didn't like the kiss thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not buying that "Urban Audience" theory.

    There have been Black people in interracial roles for years and people still watched the movies/TV shows.As I recalled, from Romeo Must Die, there were ,more Black people going to see that movie.

    Another reason that I don't agree with that assessment has something to do with what Jet Li said in a past interview with Blackfilms.com with Wilson Morales. One of the things that he said( shouldn't be a great surprise to us) was much as he want to romantic films, he was never offered any. Secondly, Jet said that he feel that some Netizens aren't into much romanticism in the movies.

    I don't know how true this is,but it was said that at one point,a part two of Romeo Must Die was considered,but was scraped of Aliyah's death.Supposedly if the Asian community aren't into romance( which I don't think is true) and we're against it, why would they even have considered such in the first place?If that was the case , someone isn't telling the truth.-M

    ReplyDelete
  13. If that was the case , someone isn't telling the truth.-M

    "Someone" never is (scroll down).

    ReplyDelete
  14. What's crazy is - at the time of the movie (I'm insane about research) I looked up WHY there wasn't a kiss, and I don't remember them saying anything about an "urban audience". I remember them saying that they conducted a screening and the the audience either were ambivalent or didn't take it as well as they'd hoped, but I don't remember there being any mention of an "urban audience". *is confused*

    Either way, I remember reading that Jet Li was filming in Canada and was traveling around some of the same spots that they filmed the movie in and saying that he missed Aaliyah and remembered how nice and sweet she was.

    Damn, I miss her. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i remember when this film came out and when i first saw it, i was already knowing that i was attracted to Asian boys at that point, but it always bothered me why they didn't kiss but when i found that out i was pissed off cuz of the ignorance that is floating around: i'm 20 years old now but i still love that movie i just wish it would have been different then what it was as far as trish and han's relationship was concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't remember reading anything about them kissing or not kissing, but according to Li he doesn't see himself as a 'leading or ladies man', so maybe that's why the kiss didn't take place (also he's married so maybe that's the other one).
    Aaliyah must have made a really good impression on him, because according to his website, they were in talks to do another film, once they'd worked some things out. He sounded as if he'd already had some stuff in mind for her to do.
    When she did LI said it affected him deeply, and that he cried for almost two weeks straight, because of what the world would miss when it came to the kind of actress she was becoming. You can check out this info and the pics that he posted of Aaliyah on his personal website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you provide a link to his personal website i want to see into that topic you said of jet li deep impact after aaliyas death.
      @ preta4

      Delete
  17. I apologize, what I meant to say that Aaliyah's death deeply affected Li, as he stated it took him a while to get over it, because he thought she was good at acting and said that she would get better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i totally think films should really explore the whole Blasian theme, there is something really sexy about it and intriguing. I don't know why these couples aren't given more legroom. but anyway to make up for it,since Im a writer my couples are totally blasian and so sweet and they do get to kiss lol and all the romance involved :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. What about Brandy and PAOLO MONTALBAN!!! in Cinderella!!! He"s Filipino isn't that Asian???

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.