5.03.2011

DN again - Korean version of "Hanging out…"

If you read my blog, you may have already seen this but there are a few more notes that I post here that are not on my blog.

I found “hanging out” in Korea and the U.S. is different.


A guy and a girl hanging out doesn’t automatically mean that they are boyfriend and girlfriend by people who see them. They are just out doing things together and are good friends or possibly close relatives.

Guy + Girl (hanging out) = good friends/ relatives

In Korea…

Hanging out has a different meaning depending on who you talk to. I guess it is where a person is from or where they have been in their life. I say this because I asked LBFAM#1 about it and he said the American way. Of course he has been to other English-speaking countries and has been to the States many times.

What I learned from the Boyfriend and another Teaching friend over here has heard from her Korean friend… it is that ans then some.

Guy + Girl (hanging out) = possibly boyfriend/girlfriend

or

Guy + Girl (hanging out) = Friends with BENEFITS.

Meaning everything.


Hanging out and doing stuff + sex without the boyfriend/girlfriend attachment. Sex with someone you know when you want it and none of the attachments.

So when I was getting clarification on the relationship before it went any further I asked:

“Are we boyfriend and girlfriend or do you just want to hang out?”

“…Hang out? You want to hang out? .. Okay. Do you have condoms?”

“Huh? Wait… What is “hang out” in Korean? Where I am from it is just go out together and do stuff as friends.”

“Here it is that and everything else.”

“…Everything else?”

“Sex too. Not boyfriend and girlfriend.”

Yeah...

We decided on boyfriend and girlfriend.

Now for the notes...

Dude at hotel sees me often when I come stay there, so he knows me. He looked SO happy when I walked in with B and ordered 2 breakfasts for the morning. He was surprised first then happy. He was happy when I went back down stairs for the large towels and more body sponges. (There is enough for two people but only one long towel.) He brought them up to us.

I am not sure what he was thinking, maybe along the lines of "YES, she likes Korean men!" or "YES, Black women like Korean men!"

It was very cute.

I was wondering about some of your comments from the other post. Thanks for the Birthday Wishes also.

By the way, Ankh I thought it was the biting part that did it.

For those that are wondering...

Yes, LBFAM#1 does know about B now. I told him on the phone last night while talking to him. He is studying prety hard now on Java programming and Japanese. I told him I would help him on the Java once I find my book and I will see if it is in Korean.

Me: Yeah my boyfriend was fussing at me about my Korean study book because it is all clean.

LBFAM#1 : Ha ha, yeah... Boyfriend? You have boyfriend now? GOOD!

Me: You aren't upset I have a boyfriend?

LBFAM#1: No. (Then proceeds to ask me questions about him)

He will be helping me with my Korean pronounciation so B and I will be able to communicate better.

I will eventually post a pic of the little card B drew me for my birthday. It is too cute.

3 comments:

  1. "The Boyfriend"?

    *bows*

    You have done well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is 28 American age and 30 Korean age. His birthday is next month so now I am wondering what to get him. I still need to scan the little card he drew for me. I am only about a month or 2 older then him.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.