5.16.2011

Interview with Audrey Kelley - Excerpt

Simply too fine, y'all.
Here's a snippet from my interview with the mastermind behind Audrey & Dre.
Moi: Sam Cacas’s blog post about your show got me wondering about a few things. You said the leads were written not to be race-specific; this pairing just happened to fall this way. What was the casting process for the male love interest?

Ms. Kelley: The Audrey & Dre script could have been played by anyone of any race. The original script had no references to race. It is a story about 2 people in a relationship. If you're a person - no matter what color - then there's a good chance you can relate to the themes.

After posting the first Audrey & Dre previews on YouTube and getting a strong response from people who were very interested in the mixed race element, I decided to address the issue in 2 episodes of the 13 episode web-series (it would be 18 episodes as a mobisode). In order to do this, I interviewed several Asian-American males and did some research on the social history of Asians in America. Since I'm African-American, I was already familiar with the issues facing black women in America.

Andrew Chen was cast in the role of "Dre" after two auditions where he had to perform several scenes and dance. Aside from nailing the acting scenes, Andrew did very well in his dance portion of the audition and felt comfortable getting close to his partner. Audrey & Dre are a married couple with several intimate scenes so that was important.

And while we’re on the subject, could you tell me a few things about Mr. Andrew Chen? How did you meet? What’s he like as a person? And what’s it like to work with him?

I met Andrew at his audition. He was great to work with and very open and receptive to the process. This made it easier for us to build the scenes we were creating.

You also mentioned in Cacas’s post you didn’t realize there was such a desire to see a Blasian pairing. This usually astounds a lot of people. What was the discovery like for you?

Sam Cacas, Andrew and a handful of other actors who worked on the project opened my eyes to some of the experiences and feelings Asian-American men have while living in and being citizens of America. The most interesting thing is that a lot of their issues parallel those of African-American women. We discuss this in the film.

...You’ve mentioned you’d like to continue working within the Blasian genre. Which formats do you have in mind for future projects? Do you foresee a film in Kelley Co. Productions’ future? Are there any specific channels (e.g., HBO, Showtime, etc.) which you’d like to see your work on?

I do have Season 2 in my head for Audrey & Dre. It's been very fun to see it playing in my head. We'll see how Season 1 goes. I just might be able to write Season 2 which has lots of twists and turns. I would be happy if any channel picked up Audrey & Dre.

Read the full interview.
*sigh*  So...thoughts so far on Audrey & Dre?  Anyone watched it yet?  Reviews, please!

4 comments:

  1. Haven't seen it. I thought it was coming out this Summer. I know I can't wait to see it. I think it going to be very interesting to say the least. Snicker

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was coming out this Summer.

    Really? *shakes fist* Daaaaaamn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen the first episode, I think. I really enjoyed it. Audrey and Dre have great chemistry together. The scenes where they're addressing their marital issues are realistic, and sometimes a bit humorous. Everything on television is so hyped up these days, nothing seems real enough to relate to. Audrey and Dre is a down-to-earth series, with normal characters who have the same problems we do.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.