11.21.2011

"CYA" ~ Street Man Crew


I can't thank Asian Hip Hop Times enough for shining light onto this gem. Yes, I know; I've already posted this on our Facebook, but I really can't stop watching this video.

Street Man Crew has their shit together. This is a first-rate video with first-rate music; it gives the viewer those chills which good hip hop is supposed to.  Rapper NZ is twenty shades of gifted and proud - there's no shying away from who he is whatsoever.  When you seem him sitting - just sitting - in traditional Mongolian garb, you understand right away why the word "Mongol" struck fear into the very hearts of their enemies.

I also like how the video evokes nature more than anything else; while we do get a glimpse of "civilization", the hills, the water, and the vast green space get more screen time.  This is an element we're missing in most hip hop videos; hip hop often portrays mindless excess in video after video after video, until they all blur together.

I'm having trouble tracking down info about this marvelous rapper, whom I seriously can't stop watching, but the YouTube Channel which uploaded this video thankfully has a lot of Mongolian hip hop available.  I have high hopes for Street Man Crew (NZ in particular) and I really want to see them dominate the living hell out of this genre.

16 comments:

  1. the video was awesome!!! I love how his pride was shown when he was in traditonal mongolian clothing and amonst nature. So much passion in his rhyme----there are a few videos of them but you have to type in street man. This was a treat. Good lookin out , Ankh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info! I can't stop watching this video; I don't even know how many times I've watched it so far. I haven't the slightest clue what NZ is saying but I swear I could listen to him rap all day.

    Street Man Crew officially has my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~picks jaw up off the floor~
    Amazing! Ok, I have to say the obvious first... talk about eye candy!!! I know you ladies saw those cut up abs, right? Whew!

    I LOVE this vid! I can feel the pride and self respect coming through so clearly, and I also appreciate that nature was given the focus, instead of just filthy city streets being shown, or inside a warehouse etc. No half naked women either. Very very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No half naked women either.

    Nope. Half-naked men was a MUCH better choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ^^ I totally agree!!! My only niggling criticism is that I wish I'd gotten to see his hair unbraided and blowing in the breeze, with his shirt off!

    This site is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. o_o Candy.
    I know no one is paying much attn to this, but the Morin Khuur is my favorite instrument. I love that it showed the man playing in the sunset. Icing on the cake. I love Mongolian music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The morin khuur is a gorgeous-sounding instrument.

      Delete
  7. Mongolian music truly is flawless, and to hear it merged with hip hop is just epic.

    I wished we could've seen a little more of the dancers at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no idea what he's rapping about, but I'm pretty sure it's not fancy drinks, rims, grills, bitches, or chains. Or clubbing, for that matter.

    "I wished we could've seen a little more of the dancers at the beginning."

    Same here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome find, it is amazing how hip hop has srpead all over the world

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was beautifully done. I didn't need to understand a word he said to respect what he's done. Beautiful imagery and the incorporation of his own culture shows the versatility of hip-hop.

    I shake my head sometimes and feel my age. I don't think any of us Black & Brown kids coming up in NYC during hip-hops' infancy could have predicted its globalization.

    Life is truly stranger than fiction. Thanks for the find Ankh. I won't forget this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This vid still gives me shivers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hello , i'm mongolian and i just wanted to show you some traditional stuff that you might be interested
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFkbeM94Gj8

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.