11.02.2011

"Corruption" ~ a Book Review

Normally, I'd post this on the Middle Child Press blog - and I still might - but boy does it belong here.  And you folks might think it weird that I just now finished my colleague's book, but you have to understand that at MCP, a book usually stays between an author and her editor until it's finally finished.

Things Which Stuck Out to Me

1) There's sex.  There's a lot of a sex.  We're talking graphic, intense, passionate Blasian sex which would make even Jay Tavare and Tembi Locke blush.  And there's tons of it, and it goes on for pages.  There is just so.much.sex.

2) Kiyoshi "Jordan" Yoshito is not stereotypical in the slightest.  He's a wonderfully written man who often comes off much wiser than his  22 years, and hell a of lot more, ahem, experienced than the average man his age.  I also liked his back-story, his personality, his humor, and how he interacts with his very traditional family.  I like how he understands and asserts himself.

3) Radjani did her research.  Her handling of the Yoshito family is quite commendable; writing about a family from another culture - especially a traditional, Old World culture - often is a disaster waiting to happen for most American writers.  Radjani doesn't overdo it.  She gets to the point and doesn't try to feign expertise.

4) The leading lady and her life is real.  I've never understood why 40 to 50-year-old romance/erotica writers use protagonists half their age.  MCP aims to reach women aged 25 and up (approximately) so it makes more sense to write about women in their late 20s and up, and the things they deal with.  Radjani's Mahogany Carroll felt so very realistic to me; it was uncanny.

If you've ever been to Amaya Radjani's blog, then the issues she discusses in Corruption will come as no surprise.  Which brings me to another issue; Corruption has a heavy dose of some serious reality; there is no pleasure without pain and Radjani doesn't allow us to forget this.  All good things come at a price.

5) Don't read this at work.  I did.  I looked up, and hour and half had gone by...and I had no clue what was going on in the world.

Final Verdict

All in all, this was an excellent, moving effort which deftly blends escapism with realism.  The music in its book trailer now seems even more haunting than ever.

video

7 comments:

  1. I was inspired to write a review of what I thought right after I finished. Love the characters because they have a strong sense of self and they are fresh new faces, not your stereotypical people. Loved how the story line weaved throughout and the girlfriends were hilarious. Having said that I was a little disheartened by the turn of events. Even though I would assume it was a way to give the story more depth, and show a part of reality people have to deal with it; I wanted to cry. I'm trying not to be insensitive about it but it was a little too visceral for me. Towards the end I felt a little better about the situation but then the epilogue did me in. It left me feeling depressed. If the point was to leave the readers feeling " something " whatever that maybe , then it did it's job. I definitely felt torn. I just wished the ending was more uplifting. I did get attached to the characters and it just felt like I got a sucker punch in the gut. Not all stories have to have rainbows and unicorns but it was too sad for me. I did enjoy it until that point, and I probably would have liked it if it had some redeeming moment at the end. Being that there's not a lot of stories with black women and asian men, I kind of wanted to read something that made me happy but this wasn't one of those stories. It was well written, great plot, great characters, but how it turned out wasn't my cup of tea. I think that's just personal choice. I don't want to spoil the story, but after things started turning better even after all they went through; it was endearing to see that is love, and how they could push through because of love. Still the ending just left me wanting. It did move me emotionally and I was pretty pissed off about how it ended, even though I could see that happening. Hopefully in the future the stories are realistic without being depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the point was to leave the readers feeling " something " whatever that maybe , then it did it's job.

    Indeed, it was. Radjani has explained in interview and on her blog that writing this was an extremely emotional experience for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought this book and finished it tonight. I will say that the sex is very hot!

    It is really almost like two stories, two separate novels that got blended into one somehow. Not what I expected at all. Still I'm glad that I bought it, I want to support any depictions of beautiful blasian love in the arts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for posting this! I will definitely be buying this book. I love your blog. You're so amazing Ankh! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. @chichi & joyful:

    Thank you so much for your reviews. MCP and I thank you for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For everyone who's bought and read the book, please post your reviews on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.