2.29.2012

The Narrative Bows to Dante Basco

Usually, the Narrative "nods" or "gives a nod" to someone, but in the case of Dante Basco, the Narrative bows.

Over at the Bar, I did a post of pics of beautiful Asian men, deliberately incorporating a good mix of varying ethnicities.  Initially, I wasn't going to do that at the Bar (I'd done such pieces for other men) because I'd already built the Blasian Narrative.  I mean, really...how much more was necessary?

But it was necessary, so I did, and I noticed that even though I gleefully looked up pictures and actors I hadn't seen in a while, one name kept sticking out to me: Dante Basco.

Hollywhite will never understand the sheer honor and privilege it has to have this man grace some of its screens.  Dante isn't just another good-looking actor - the man is a legend in his own right, and we have to start referring to him as thus.

According to IMDB, Dante has at least 86 titles to his name, stretching back to Santa Barbara and Michael Jackson's Moonwalker in 1988.  Seriously...he started his career landing a role in friggin' Moonwalker.

That right there should've told us something.

So this 37-year-old actor (both live and voice), musician, dancer, poet, and rapper has had a 24-year career thus far, spanning film, television, commercials, and live concerts.  And for many Asian actors during his youth, Dante Basco was the actor to beat.  If there was a role written for a young Asian American man, he was most likely to get it, regardless  of the character's ethnicity.


Keep in mind, he accomplished this while dealing the pressures and obstacles Asian/Asian American actors face in Hollywhite, and yet he transitioned successfully from a child actor into an adult actor without trauma or scandal. Meanwhile, other heartthrobs from his childhood/adolescence have either killed themselves or faded painfully into oblivion.


So how come there's no intense, 2-hour documentary giving this man his much deserved due?

And he truly is an artist; he isn't just good at one thing.  Dante has worked to be good at many things, which I don't think most fans fully understand or appreciate.  Contrary to the younger generation's belief, being famous and having a drinking problem does not make you an "artist."  For an artist, creativity flows through every fiber of your being, eager to manifest and express itself through as many artistic mediums as possible - Dante Basco embodies this.


And not only is he gifted and accomplished, but to millions of POC he's been a smoldering sex symbol for many, many years.  Amongst Blasians, he's a household name; his work is practically required study material.  He's made numerous contributions to Blasian Culture, some of which the Narrative has tried to capture.


They weren't the only ones who fell to the floor when this came out - I can guarantee that.

You couldn't tell us Dante wasn't fine, or sexy, or manly, or [insert whatever other bullshit right here].  I've been melting over this man since I was in high school.  I remember trying to watch everything he was in, anything he ever touched, just to hear that distinctive, sensuously husky voice which made my knees knock every time.


Every time.

Since's he's only 37, I'm more than eager to see what this legend and bona fide Blasian Idol is going to do in the years to come.  That said, the Narrative avidly applauds the work of Dante Basco, and wishes him and his brothers many more years of success.

From L to R: Dion, Darion, Dante, and Derek

22 comments:

  1. Oh Dante Dante Dante... I can't keep my eyes over him, lol. I remember when I went to the movies to watch Take the lead. Everyone was rooting for Antonio Banderas,but me, I was too busy looking at...Dante. Even his name is too sexy for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I watched that movie just for him. I fast forwarded through most of that movie XD

      Delete
  2. Oh sorry I forgot to write a nickname, but that was me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well i found out about him due to his voice acting (damn his voice is sexy) and i gotta admit hes fine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy shit he's 37!?!?! I remember his appearances on The Fresh Prince (as Ashley's date...funny they did Fakin Da Funk together), and on Moesha and Hanging with Mr. Cooper. LOL my crush for him definitely started when he was Rufio. It's great that he's into Voice acting now since a lot of actors of color have done fairly well in this area like Cree Summer, Johnny Young Bosch and Kevin Michael Richards.

    He was the (and sometimes still is) the "It" guy for a lot of black shows. Some black shows would add that token white character that would sometimes feel forced and out of place. But Dante blended well in these shows and reminded people that yes, diversity doesn't mean black and white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! That should have been me in Tatiyana's spot. She was probably weak at the knees with that role. I know that I would be. Kind of hard that he is 37 and he's still looking good. He is just so cool in whatever show he plays in.

      Delete
    2. I just remembered his age! Oh Snap! He is still looking good. Alot of other actors are sagging and having botox at his age!

      Delete
  5. Dante, KevJumba ,and Justin Chon are filming their own movie. Kevin has been updating his fans through youtube:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1l2NT35pfE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg I love him, I also had the biggest crush on his brother Dion when he did City Guys....I miss that show :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jebus, does this dude not age? Damn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love him! I first saw him in Fakin the Funk, but fell in love with him after seeing him on Def Poetry Jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG... I remember watching Fakin' da Funk and nearly passing OUT from the sexual chemistry!!! I gotta find it on Netflix or something. Mmmmmmmm. The way he looked at her booty lol I knew he was NOT acting!

      Delete
    2. Fakin' da Funk is not on Netflix. May have to view it through other means ... hint hint

      Delete
  9. He's 37? Shut the front door!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg "Aye yo Stacy!! Talk to me, talk to me, talk to me, baby!!"

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.