3.18.2012

Aziatix

All right, Aziaddicts, we're slowly backing away from K-Pop again, hands in the air, no need for anyone to get hurt....

For those of you who haven't paused to check out Aziatix, here's a taste before we talk.



In an industry where artists barely achieve local notoriety, AZIATIX have already conquered globally. The trio comprised of Eddie Shin, Flowsik, and Nicky Lee (along with producer Jae Chong) have touched on all corners of the world, and the United States is next.

The Korean-American collective started when the three came together after having forged separate careers. Despite only working as a group for the past year, their movements have been monumental.

Eddie Shin became a phenomenon in Korea back in 2005 when his self-produced album Just My Way hit the ground running. The R&B-meets-KPop singer/songwriter has been writing songs since he was 16. Born in Boston, but raised in Korea, Eddie developed a multi-cultural understanding of music early on, one that has echoed throughout his entire career. Having studied music at NYU, Eddie Shin has even written and composed for other artists, while crafting the theme song “Let’s Go” for Korea’s G20 Summit. Flowsik earned his stripes on the New York City battlegrounds as an MC with the gruff voice yet stellar delivery. Mentored by none other than Ice-T, the Queens rapper even had the rap veteran on his track “Hate”. While navigating the city street music scene, Flowsik took his talents abroad, where K-Pop acceptance ran rampant, having Flow drop bars on songs from K-Pop acts like JYJ. As his U.S. Hip-Hop fan base swells, his lyricism only gets better and better. Nicky Lee has his roots in Los Angeles, but has earned undeniable achievements in the Korean market. The R&B/Soul singer became a fixture in the Asian music scene, having released five solo albums and won “Best Male Singer” in 2007 at the Mandarin Pop Music Awards known as the Golden Melody Awards. And golden melody he has, as Nicky provides a soulful touch to AZIATIX.

The glue that holds the group together is Jae Chong. The production guru had similar beginnings as AZIATIX, having started in the R&B group Solid. The group sold over four million albums; known as the first Korean R&B act to break the million albums sold mark. Jae composes scores for TV and film, while producing for other famed Korean acts like Coco Lee, Kim Gun Mo, Shin Seung Hoon, Stanley Huang, and Nicky Lee as a solo artist. The two met when Nicky was singing in church as a teenager.

With four power players and loads of talent, AZIATIX are geared for a worldwide takeover. Just shy of two years together, and their accomplishments are endless. They were the first Asian-American group featured on AOL, while MySpace, Windows Media, and MSN homepages all featured the group. Their YouTube page broke records with the most subscriptions (over 800,000) by a group, and their self-titled debut EP reached #4 on the iTunes R&B charts.

AZIATIX are on the road to superstardom, and this is just the beginning. While currently on tour and working on their debut album, the stage is now set. Get ready. (source)
First of all, may the gods bless Eddie Shin for his hair (he's got hair like Mr. Whoa).  He has confirmed what I've always believed: more Asian men need to grow their hair long.  You walk into a bar rockin' a do like that and no one other man will compare to you.

Secondly, I noticed Aziatix a while back.  I've been consistently impressed with their obvious talent, their immaculate professional polish, and the fact that every single member is a smokin' hottie.

That being said, their music just too uplifting for me.  Every track sounds so bright and inspirational, like it belongs in the trailer of some big romantic film.  Mm-mm.  *shakes head*  I need my artists to be chain-smoking, sorrows-drownin' men in excruciating pain.

But damn...Eddie's fine.  And single.

25 comments:

  1. Now, THIS, is what I'm talking about! Why isn't this type of music more loved than that pretty boy crap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them as a group. They all bring something smooth & polished to the table, but their music doesn't move me much. I wish them nothing but the best and will keep my eye on them.

    I'm with you on this one Ankh. I like hearing music from ppl who've lived and are willing to share all the drama that comes along w/it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aliyah and DaphneeMarch 19, 2012 at 1:32 AM

    I remember when I saw them last February and they were so unknown and was still on the Facebook group. Man I love these boys. I have the all of the albums (and I bought them on itunes which I dont do often). I encourage everyone to get their albums. Not only are they fine, but they are talented. You should watch this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taAGlnlwWzY....eddie shin=amazing. FLOWSIK is sexy, smooth chocolate voice. Nicky lee equals awesome tenor and sexy voice. I LOVE THESE BOYS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Aliyah and Daphnee: FLOWSIK is sexy! (I like dudes with a little hood in 'em, and FLOWSIK is hood in a good way!)They are extremely talented and Eddied is a dream boat. I love watching FLOWSIK in interviews. He's so New York!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omgosh, I love flowsik and his queens swag. And as I always say, I love asian guys who have a dash of hood in them ;)

      Delete
    2. Btw, I am Daphnee out of the aliyah and daphnee commenter hehe. Ww were in a rush, and I could not sign into my account...

      Delete
  5. Some one had mentioned them a few months back when I was on another forum and started listening to they're music, nice mention Nicole.

    "FLOWSIK is sexy, smooth chocolate voice."

    YES! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. This group should have been mainstream a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eddie shin <3 oh yeah i have this Korean guy in my class whose voice is really similar to FLOWSIK..... <3
    anyways they are a really good group, they have concerts in the states, and are big in Asia right now. (won best newcomer at the MAMA's)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I need my artists to be chain-smoking, sorrows-drownin' men in excruciating pain."

    I really love the above quote! And I agree with it 100%. I'd like more complexity in terms of lyrics. These guys have too much talent to waste on one dimensional lyrics. I know FLOWSIK ha seem some shit in his life time. He looks like he's done some livin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O.O Eddie omfg.... I cannot resist an Asian man with long hair. It is a serious turn-on for me. He can even be ugly in the face as long as he has that hair for me to play in! However, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with Ankh here. Of these guys, only Eddie is cute. He is beyond cute, he is FOINE. The other dudes are rugged and masculine, but physically they cannot hold a candle to Eddie. I'm sure they know that. Man oh man, I could look at him all day!

      As for the music, I think it is a little one dimensional and I'd like to see them branch out. Clearly they have tons of talent and potential.

      If they put a black girl in a video I'll buy everything they've ever made. Till then, I'll enjoy the view.

      Delete
  9. Love me some Aziatix. Especially some Eddy Shin! Ankh, i understand (as well as the rest of the other ladies)about the music being a little one-dimensional, and i guess you could say, inspirational and light. and i get the whole tortured soul artist thing .....BUT "A-GAME"? How can you say A Game is one dimensional? Especially that video. It looked like some of Flowsik was rubbing off on Eddy cause hes was getting hype in that club!

    Anyway, their debut has been impressive,and its their first album. They have a long way to go, so those introspective, life living, tortured records will be coming down the pike eventually. :)


    .....and is it just me or does any women agree with me to forgo traditional roles when i say that i would gladly, no-shame-in-my-game, get down on a knee to Eddy Shin and put a ring on it!....ANYDAY!! :D :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should check out the solo stuff Eddie put out before he joined AZIATIX. Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSh_aNJDdzM&list=PL3206BCBA98A4A442&index=23&feature=plpp_video
    His styling sounds just like Babyface.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Korean acts like Coco Lee? The only Coco Lee I know is Chinese. Or maybe I just misundertstood the phrase.

    I'm not fond of their music (Aziatix), though they sound really good at it. Hopefully, they'll be more famous in the US soon. Featuring a non Asian rapper/singer could help them.

    My favourite Korean American artist is TOKiMONSTA. She's a DJ. I can't choose one song from her, her music is a bit diverse with a hip hop vibe.

    There's also a Korean American rapper I kinda like, Cool Calm Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH.MY.SHIT. You are the only other person I've ever seen to say they like Cool Calm Pete. I first discovered him when he did "One Love Karma" with Morcheeba on their Dive Deep album. His voice..... I also like TOKiMONSTA.

      Delete
    2. Cool, it's rare to find people who know him too :)
      I found out about his feat with Morcheeba afterwards though, I didn't listen to all Morcheeba's albums (and I really like this group!). I like his flow and voice, yeah, but not always his music, it depends on the song.
      I'm glad you like TOKiMONSTA too :)

      Delete
  12. God I love those boys I've known about them for almost a year now....Almost. But goddamn Eddie is a smoking hottie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh, my sister and I have been swooning over Aziatix since last year. I can't remember how I cam across them but I'm sure it had something to do with youtube. The first video I saw of theirs was "Go" and I was hooked. Niky is cute, Eddie is gorgeous and Flowsik is so deliciously hood. I'd really like to make it to one of their concerts sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Deliciously hood"!! I love that! lol

      Delete
  14. What about these korean songs? Let me know what some of you think about them :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6fPzVNIEB0&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA3tUJQUO9I (singer is Yoo Young Jin)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kyG5tTZ1iE

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Cookie: You're talking about Koreans but this article is about Korean American artists. I followed your links though and gave them a listen. They all have nice/good voices, they are all idols...the only song that stood out is the one from Super Junior. Classy, smooth and pleasant to the ears. The song from Shinee is too aggressive like forcing itself in your ears with ecclectic sounds, and the first one (Exo k) has potential but is a bit boring. I'd rather listen to good ol' school RnB than this. That was my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh ok, I'm sorry, girl. I thought because she said the word Kpop it would be ok two post a Korean Idol or three. I'll be more careful next time and stay on topic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. And yes honey, Eddie is fine and Flowsik is sexy to me. If I met him I would possibly faint. A girl on a site I like called BlackWomenLoveBi.com met them said all of Aziatix are finer in person and that videos and pictures don't do them justice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's alright Cookie, no need to be sorry!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.