3.11.2012

"I don't see Jesus in you"

This really is the year for meeting awesome Asian guys.  Must be in the water or something....

So anyhoo, today I went to get my nails and eyebrows done at my usual spot and I met their newest tech.  We'll call him "Wil," however, His Total Awesomeness also works.  Wil and I get to chatting, which I love, because unlike most people who go to salons, I want to speak to my tech.  The big looming question in my mind is, "Who are you?"  I want to find out, even if it means learning your language.

Wil speaks fluent English; he and I apparently graduated from high school the same year and and he just had a birthday yesterday, which makes us the.same.age.  One of his first questions to me was, "Did you go to church this morning?"  When I give him my best Hell, no expression, he was like, "Mm-hm.  I don't see Jesus in you."

Right then, I knew I had met a very interesting man.  He didn't disappoint.

We talked about the usual - school, jobs, life.  Wil explained he was back in school studying to be an RN and that he was just doing nails part-time (later, he mentioned having been doing it for 12 years).  I asked how he got into it - because heterosexual male nail techs really grab my curiosity - and he shrugged, saying he knew people in the business, and it just sort of happened over time.  He asked if I was looking forward to spring break and I explained was done with school; all I had to look forward to was work.

Wil said it was a good thing; he'd partied his way through college, done a bunch of drugs, and woken up next to a lot of random chicks in a lot of random places.  He said he never paid attention class except to check out the girls.  If he didn't see any good-looking girls, he transferred out of the class ASAP.  But now that he has a 3-year-old daughter (whom he talked about a lot), he wanted to set a better example and so he was back in school, attending mass every Sunday, and was looking forward to using spring break to catch up on school work.

That's when I learned "part-time" in nail tech world means approximately 45 hours a week.  Full-time is 75 hours a week.  Wil said that if he broke down what he made per hour, it came to about 8.00/hr and that it was total bullshit.

I've always been curious about the lives, experiences, and salaries of Asian nail techs, so I hung on this man's every word.  For a Catholic, he cussed a lot, which was great because it was real.  He said that working in a salon was like being treated like "cheap, sleazy whore"; the clients are always bitching and blaming the techs for not being able to take care of their damn selves.  Right then, a client of his from just last Friday walked in bitching that one of her nails popped again after she'd supposedly warned him it wasn't on securely enough.  Wil asked if she'd gotten into anymore fights at the club and she said no, because if she had the other nails would've come off too.  Then she went to bitch to the pedicurist (the one who bonded with my mom) and started bitching about her toenails as well.  Meanwhile, Wil and I started talking about this rude heffa in hushed whispers.

And I just had to ask Wil a question which has been bugging me from the get:  If these people know soooooo much about nails, why don't they just stay home and do their own?

Wil laughed and replied, "I think I have to take you to dinner tonight."  Later when he asked, "So what are we gonna eat?"  I asked in return, "Can't we just go to a bar and get a drink?" (I'm not big on dinner).

Though Wil talked a bunch about his little girl, he never mentioned her mother or being married or having a girlfriend (he did ask if I had a man though), and he has wit and charisma like whoa.  So I'm going to make him my regular (I remembered to tip), and I'm going to try to get to know this man a little better, even though something tells me there's no way he's single.  We caught each other's eye last time, but I was sent to a different tech so we didn't get to chat.  Oh well.  *shrug*  Better luck this time!

30 comments:

  1. So you guys didn't get a drink or somethin? Man awesome story. And yeah, I'd be surprised if he hasn't got somebody at home. But here's hoping, I definitely want to hear about your next encounter with him. He's interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yeah, I'd be surprised if he hasn't got somebody at home.

      Mm-hm. And I ain't trying to be no side ho.

      Delete
  2. This is a very good thing. I like this dude already. Did you guys go get a drink?

    For a Catholic, he cussed a lot, which was great because it was real.

    Hot damn! Hallelujah!!!!

    *waits semi-patiently for the next update*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just...met...the...dude. I'm not even sure he's single.

    Patience, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ask him never hurts to ask. And I'm happy you found this guy.

      I just wish I could find my hot asian dude..lmao.

      Delete
  4. I'm encouraged by this potential love story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Ankh is like, "Don't pick out bridesmaid dresses!" He sounds like an interesting guy.

      Delete
  5. Please continue to find out more information about him. You two could probably become great friends since you both can easily talk to one another rather just be worker and customer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems you have great chemistry with him and that's usually a good beginning of a long relationship (either romantic or friendship). Please update us the progress soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Talk about being real. The guy didn't hold back one bit. You two seem like you can be good friends. Only time will tell.

    In the meantime, go ahead and get that drank!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where are these asian guys at? I usually get some very reserved Vietnamese woman who just wants to get my nails done.

    Judging by all that charisma he is throwing around; your right to be cautious. But I sure am interested in seeing what happens between you two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where are these asian guys at?\

      Houston, boo-boo. H-Town is where it's at.

      Delete
  9. 1. Awesome story.

    2. THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU WOMAN?!!! Fine ass man asks you to dinner, girl you better go. Hell I don't drink but if a man asks me out to a bar, I damn sure gonna be sipping on a water bottle and a coke.

    3. Really hoping he's single. He sounds like he might be one worth getting to know. But yeah side-hos is not the look so I feel you on that one girl.

    4. Catholics cussing like sailors, that's actually par for the course. And this is coming from someone who grew up in the Catholic church.

    5. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calm down...jumpin' the gun there.

      Most of the techs at this salon are male; in fact, it's owned by a stunningly gorgeous guy (Wil actually made a crack about him). They all speak English, they're all hilarious, and they're all good-looking. Sometimes more male members and friends of the family show up on slow days to hang out, and they are all fine. Two of the techs are cousins and covered in tats; my roommate likes the really skinny one.

      She also pointed out if she were to close her eyes, she could swear the tattooed cousins were Negro - we'll call them "Robbie" and "Bryan". These two in particular crack me & the Roomie up - they are so hood...but in all the good ways. Like, they don't get in trouble or anything, and they're all in school, but they keepin' it 100, feel me? Like, David So-type hood. I mean, they are hood, including Wil (which you've probably guessed by now) and the owner (but he keeps it extra "fabulous"...*raises meaningful eyebrow towards Neo*).

      Delete
    2. LOL!

      Actually, I don't really go for the "fabulous" types. Not really my scene.

      Delete
    3. I didn't mean fabulous as in flaming or femme. I meant as "flawless from head to toe." So much I strongly believe the other guys resent him for it.

      Delete
  10. 1. What CLP said about the drank.

    2. What Neo said.

    Most of the techs at this salon are male; in fact, it's owned by a stunningly gorgeous guy (Wil actually made a crack about him). They all speak English, they're all hilarious, and they're all good-looking.

    So you can choose, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woman...you are so predictable.

      Delete
    2. Amaya, I sometimes wonder if we weren't separated at birth.

      Delete
    3. Sometimes I've wondered that too.

      Delete
    4. @Neo: I KNOW, RIGHT???? *brother from another mother; hugs*

      @Ankh: I'm just keeping it real. Lawd knows if I strolled into a place I visit regularly and every man in there was reflective of the high-end of my hotness scale...and funny too? Girl, please. Gurrrrrl puh-leeeeeeze! I'd be gettin' my nails did EVERY FREAKIN' WEEK and one of those dimes would be mine, trust and believe. You got a box of candy in front of you...

      But you still my ace. Still.

      Delete
  11. Haha, maybe this is their gimmick to draw in women customers. Kind of like host bars in Japan. XD But it's not fun to tease. I mean, when I see good merchandise I want to touch not just look haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they've all gone into business together because they think it's a great way to meet women. Bryan clearly enjoys spending his days surrounded by different kinds of women. When I an applied a tip to my visa for Wil, I asked the owner to remind me of his workdays. I laughingly mentioned that I liked Wil, to which the owner replied, "You like Wil? What about me?!??"

      Now, I've been going there so long that whenever the owner's trying to convince a newbie to get something done, he uses me as an example. I love him to death and I told him so. And he replied, "You love me? I love you too." He's a dear.

      Delete
    2. anonymous J

      Reminding me of my lucky number 3! Ankh he sounds like an interesting person. I don't get the feeling he's lookin for a side Ho, just interested in you as a person. I bet he was watching you for awhile before he approached you tho. I've seen a number of gorgeous nail techs who are indeed hetero. Go get that drink, and keep us posted!

      Delete
    3. I've seen a number of gorgeous nail techs who are indeed hetero.

      And people keep refusing to believe they could hetero. Just today I was trying to amuse a coworker with the "I don't see Jesus in you" part of the story. While it made him laugh, he refused to believe Wil could possibly be straight. He kept repeatedly, "But...he did your nails!!!!"

      Delete
    4. Omg so what...just because he works as a nail tech he can't be straight Please...your coworker needs a wake up call. What a laugh.

      Delete
    5. In a world where well-muscled football players and suit-and-tie prominent family men are coming out as gay, a male nail technician can't possibly be straight? Sure.

      Delete
  12. Awesome! I'm glad you met a cool guy who is interesting and cute.

    Too bad I live so far from your Flower Boy Nail Shop!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.