3.25.2012

I knew he was married. Called it.

So today I went to get my fill and made sure I got "Wil".  He remembered me as though we'd just spoken yesterday, and commented repeatedly about how my nails still looked beautiful and remarkably intact.  He said it was unusual because people with my natural nail shape typically experience early breakage around the sides.  He wanted to know if I washed my hands often, which I confirmed I did (I'm a borderline germaphobe).  He said he was amazed at how my nails stayed intact.

I could tell he was exhausted, and mentioned it.  He confirmed that the past week had been extra busy at the salon.  I jokingly asked if he'd still gone to mass this morning, to which he replied, "Every Sunday. Every time."

There was something we obviously needed to get past so I asked, "Your daughter's three, right?  How long have you been married?"

Sure enough, he was married, though I felt that I sort of had to drag the info out of him.  In a way, it was like pulling teeth.  Wil couldn't remember exactly how long he'd been married though, so he gave me a range (I know, right?).  And the great thing was, once his being married was out in the open, our conversation itself got more open.  We spent the next hour comfortably making each other laugh, and I learned even more about him.

I learned he lives with his wife, daughter, both of his parents.  Wil is the youngest of 12 kids; his eldest sister has a son his age (she's in her fifties).  I asked how come his parents lived with him instead of an older sibling.  He explained that tradition decrees his parents should live with either the oldest son or the youngest son, and since he's the only male child - out of 12 - he got the 'rents.  Wil said it was cool (though a pregnant wife and two parents drive him crazy sometimes); it saves money on daycare and babysitters.

Our conversation eventually turned to his coworkers.  The owner - the really gorgeous guy - was running late, and Wil pointed out the irony, since his boss his always rushing the techs and lecturing them on time management.  Wil said his boss can get particularly snippy, but not with Wil.  Apparently, he never takes the wrong tone with Wil.

"He knows me too well," Wil murmured.  "He knows I'll call him outside and slap him."

I remarked about fine the owner is.  Wil shook his head and replied, "Too bad he doesn't go that way.  Such a waste, huh?"

"I knew it!  I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!"

Wil cocked his head to the side.  "How did you know?"

I shrugged.  "Just did.  Been coming to this salon for almost a year now."

"Shame," Wil shook his head again.  "A guy like that should have a really hot chick on his arm."

"I'm sure he's made a few people happy," I mused.  I began asking about the other men who work in the salon.  Wil pointed that out it wasn't normal to see this many men working in a nail salon.   He said you usually see about two or so, but figured that since the owner was a gay man, he was partial to hiring men.  In fact, Wil's pretty sure his boss hired him because he finds Wil attractive.  I wouldn't be surprised.

Wil confirmed that the tattooed cousins from the hood were straight, and that Robbie, the skinny one, was single and into older women.  Robbie is the guy my roommate likes, but considering her track record with Mr. Whoa, I don't see that one going anywhere.  Wil didn't know if Bryan, the other cousin, had a woman or not.

Talking to him was just great, and we made another appointment before I went to get my eyebrows waxed.  As usual, I remembered to tip, and I'm looking forward to our next conversation.

17 comments:

  1. Well mystery solved but we have a new relationship on the horizon. Haha, never knew there was a radar for married folk. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we have a new relationship on the horizon

      Quoi?

      Delete
    2. I don't mean romantic. Just using the word as neutrally as possible.

      Delete
  2. Things gets more and more interesting each time you talk to "Wil". Keep us updated with the scoop on the shop workers and how Wil and his family are doing please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ain't nothin' wrong with being cool with your nail tech. I wonder why it was hard for him to say he was married? Trouble in paradise? Embarrassed? Tryna mack? Either way, own that shit. How your nails look?

    As far as your roommate...you're right. We're gonna need for her to woman up. Closed mouth don't get fed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nails are fabulous. He really does a flawless job.

      I wondered about the married thing too, because he didn't mention her at all last time, and this time he only spoke about her when specifically asked.

      Delete
    2. he didn't want to ruin the fantasy, like pretending he is single so he can flirt and get attention from women

      Delete
  4. This is getting more and more interesting by the minute. I enjoy these posts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww..and I was waiting around for a hopeful romance story.

      That's ok though, it wasn't meant to be,but at least you have his friendship. I was about to faint when Wil said that there are 12 siblings running around. Man,his folks sure had a lot of mouths to feed.

      Delete
    2. My jaw hit the floor too. He said he was glad that his son will be born in May. Had it been another girl, he and his wife would have to try again.

      Which is why his parents kept having kids. They wanted a boy. And out of all the children who were born, only 12 survived childhood.

      Delete
    3. So there were more than 12? I got someone in my family like that, too. Kept having kids until he finally got a boy. I think they've got four or five girls now and that ever so blessed little boy. It's annoying, I mean, I understand it's for cultural reasons and passing on the name but why can't girls occupy that space of honor and responsibility?

      Delete
    4. What I'm getting from Wil is pressure. He's clearly tired all the time, obviously overworked (only one in the household currently holding down a job), he has no free time to hang with friends and go to a bar, and much of that stems from familial pressure.

      Delete
    5. Wow. He is under a lot of pressure. How does he unwind? We all need personal time to recharge. I guess its work, work, work...

      Delete
  5. Doesn't it seem like you always have to "pull stuff" out of men? Sometimes this makes me want to give up on men entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, not really but feels that way at times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. anonymous J
    So today I went to get my fill and made sure I got "Wil". Lol. Guess I missed the boat on that one.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.