5.19.2012

Interview with Alexis Brown, an Excerpt

Metal chanteuse Alexis Brown of Straight Line Stitch was extremely generous to grant me an interview while still on tour. To read the whole conversation, pull up a stool At the Bar and order something.

Alexis, welcome to the bar; pull up a stool and order whatever you want on the house. While you’re at it, tell us about yourself.

Thanks for having me. As for a drink...I'm always good with an ice cold Bud of some sort. Now about me... I love Walt Disney's Goofy, old scary movies, love to read old school Harlequin Romance books, love sushi, I have a orange tabby named Waffles (named after Goofy's cat on the Goof Troop Series), I have a Chorkie (Chihuahua & Yorkie mix), & I'm also in a band that I've pretty much lived out on the road with for about the last 10 or so years.

I noticed how you mention not intentionally going into heavy metal. How’d that happen?

Basically my older brother Moses was the one that influenced me in getting into metal with bands such as Pantera, White Zombie, Metallica, & Korn. I felt much more comfortable with the genre because I could relate.


What was your original genre of choice? Who are your musical influences and why?

I started out wanting to pursue a music career as a R&B singer but like I stated previously my brother kinda changed all that LOL

As far as my musical influences go, I would say that I'm more so inspire than influenced but anyways some of my influences are 36Crazyfist, GlassJaw, Pulse Ultra, Sade, Metallica, (just to name a few) but ultimately my favorite singer of all time is Stevie Nicks & the reason why these bands/singers influence me is because they're all amazing at what they do.

I’ll admit; I’m a fan. Guilty as charged. Love the drums, the guitars, the vocals, the vids. How in the world does all that great music come about? Who writes the lyrics? Who’s in charge of composition?

Thank you.

We all pretty much just write all the time with or without each other around we're always coming up with ideas. When we have a certain amount of time off we just get together & start mapping songs out. I'm usually the only one who will go off by myself to write. But mainly we all write together.


One thing I really like about you are your fans. Seriously. Whenever people come onto YouTube and saying anything remotely disrespectful about you, your fans come out swinging. What’s it like performing in front of such a devoted crowd?

What can I say? We love our fans & our fans love us. There's never a time that I'm not humbled by our fans. They're our world & we wouldn't exist without them.

7 comments:

  1. So down to earth, she seems like such a cool person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her humility is profound, seeing how she's worshiped by so many fans.

      Delete
    2. once again ankh,, you killed it: exposing the readership with some amazing, fascinating and talented individuals. So glad you did a spotlight on this women...now i cant get enough of straight line stitch!!!!! Thanks!!!

      Delete
  2. I AM IN LOVE !!!!! OMFG THEY, SHE KICKS SOME MAJORRRR EFFIN' A@# !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM IN LOVE !!!!! OMFG THEY, SHE KICKS SOME MAJORRRR EFFIN' A@# !!!

      Delete
  3. Amazing! She is so talented! The Narrative never fails to spotlight the most awesome POC!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.