6.20.2012

Book Cover Submissions & Commissions

Earlier, I suggested readers submit photos of themselves so we could amass a collection of potential book covers.  This way, authors of Blasian intent could create simple, classy covers...rather than some of the trainwrecks we've had to witness.

Submission Guidelines

1) Take professional-looking photos, complete with proper lighting and touch-up.  Don't pick up your cameraphone and just start clicking away.  The Narrative is strictly a facilitator; we will not tamper with your photos in any way.  So make sure the finished product is what you really want the world to see.

And remember, you're taking artistic photos, not headshots or "fun" group shots with friends.  Here's a famous example:


For a steamy Blasian novel/novella, this image would be perfection.

2) Not all photos have to include both a Black woman and an Asian man.  A potential book cover can have just one of either and still be perfectly acceptable.  Here's a great example:


3) When submitting your images, include your full name(s) and whichever email address(es) you use the most.  These will not be posted on the Narrative.  Our goal is to simply provide a platform where authors can shop around for images.  If they choose yours, we'll connect the two of you, and you can work it out from there.

That being said, don't be greedy.  If an author chooses your images and is willing to pay, try to be reasonable about the price.  We recommend doing business via PayPal in order to generate a sufficient paper trail.

Commission Guidelines

1) For authors who decide to shop around our book covers, feel free to contact us when you see an image you like.  We'll also offer free suggestions about title/author name positioning.

2) The images are for sale.  Don't even think about just taking the images without written permission from the models and running off.  The Narrative will attest on behalf of the models should they decide to file a suit.

Once again, we recommend doing business via PayPal in order to generate a sufficient paper trail.

If you have questions or need clarification, request it below.

25 comments:

  1. This is an excellent initiative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now those style of pictures are more like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post. Thanks. Clears up alot of confusion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dibs on the first picture...! And the cover of "Again" is stun...ning.

    I'll go ahead and be the first author to say that I'm going to need some pictures for the cover of "Adrenalin." Game on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that image for "Again" is amazing. This is the biggest stumbling block I see with self publishing- that and copy editing. Sweet baby Jesus, some of these books look like they were written by an 8 year old! Typos galore :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, for one, applaud this endeavour. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited & hopeful to see the submissions.

      I don't like seeing the Blasian Lit Threads and immediately wondering what fresh hell CosmicYoruba has uncovered.

      Delete
  7. Excellent idea. For the most part having people on the cover turns me off. In this circumstance, given that a Blasian couple is involved, it's understandable though I probably won't do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also a way to give exposure to some models/actors/singers who've been ignored by the industry, and make them a little quick cash on the process.

      Delete
  8. My personal thing with having couples on the cover is that usually the man has his shirt off. Not a fan of a bare-chested man on a book cover. It reeks of Harlequinism and some readers will assume that the book isn't far off in terms of content, whether it is or not. Just my $.02.

    @Ankh: Isn't that the truth??? When she puts together a thread, I find myself getting nervous...

    ReplyDelete
  9. If y'all can deliver a sexy Vietnamese man for my next cover I'll buy it. As for shirtless men looking cheesy, I can understand people feeling that way, but I would like to feature more shirtless Asian men simply because of the way they've been neutered in American culture. I spent six months looking for a shirtless sexy Asian man and came up with nothing. Meanwhile pictures of shirtless white and black men abound. These covers ate popular and can make a reader notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome!!!

      I understand exactly what you mean.

      Delete
    2. I come late to the party :X
      Roslynholcomb: Men's Health Asia

      Delete
  10. >>>>> This is a Great idea!!!! I'm always looking for New, Fun pics to share and possibly use in my books. It'd be great to see some photographic and model talent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here's a beautiful book cover example that I found this morning:

    It comes via Bookophilia, a local (Jamaican) book store and cafe. In case the image doesn't show, the book is entitled By Love Possessed and it's a collection of short stories by Jamaican writer Lorna Goodison. I don't know if any of the stories have a Blasian theme, but I thought the photograph and treatment functioned as an example of a well-done book cover.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember why I came to this thread now, I wanted to suggest that you open the submissions to artists in general :) not just photographers. I always stop dead when seeing some super lovely arts and think they'd make amazing fantasy or science fiction covers (Nicole finds the best stuff! In my experience, a lot of Deviantart(.com)ists would be happy to take commissions.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! Is this program still going on? If so are photos of the above couple available for purchase? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this program is still going on. As for this specific couple, you can contact the artist here about purchasing rights.

      Thanks so much for asking. Best of luck in your writing career!

      Delete
    2. Amazing. Thank you! Is there a listing of other photos available of other models who've submitted photos? Or other photographers who have submitted their work? Thanks again!

      Delete
    3. We're still trying to get the word out about this.

      Delete
  14. Hey! Just wanted to give you a heads up. The link you sent is to the female model's Tumblr. I did get a hold of the photographer though and she told me the photos are currently available for purchase. Thanks for directing her to me :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.