7.10.2012

The CSR Diaries: Agent V

If you're wondering what a chapter from one of my little series from the Bar is doing here on the Narrative, it's because the client in question was an insurance agent whom we'll call V.

Agent V is originally from Southeast Asia, born in 1969.  He currently resides in Houston (and was very glad to get someone just down the road), likes hamburgers, shopping in African grocery stores, and Kenyan ladies (hence the random pictures featured in this post).

Yes...we had one of those conversations and I'm hoping the PTB weren't monitoring it, otherwise they'll ask me why the hell I let Agent V chat for over half an hour.

Mainly, because I respect my elders and won't cut them off, even if they stopped talking about business 15 minutes ago.  Agent V first chatted about his clients, talking about how they were a good, polite couple and how he wanted to get them the best rates possible.  He talked about them for quite a bit, and then he asked where I was located.  Right then, I knew it was going to be a long conversation because he'd already stated he was in Houston, and once I confirmed I was too, the chat was on and there was no way to stop it.

He talked a lot about Houston, where he lived, and Houston traffic (which, by the way, is something else.  Just because a light's green doesn't guarantee movement).  Agent V wanted to know if I was born in Texas and in what year.  I smoothly avoided telling him my age, but he said I sounded anywhere from 19-23.  Since I'm nowhere near that age range, I was like, "Um, yeah...sure...let's go with that.  I liked being 23."

He asked me to spell my last name and once I did, he grew even more curious about me.  And this is what I really dig about Agent V.  Most people talking to me over the phone assume I'm white.  The white ones talking to me feel perfectly comfortable until they finally realize they've been talking to an African woman the whole time.  Then their tone changes, and they hurry off the phone.

Agent V, on the other hand, brightened up even more when he learned my family's from Cameroon.  He loves yams from Ghana, and asked which African grocery store I go to.  When I explained I don't but my mother does, he recommended African Country Store on Fondren and West Airport, and told me to tell my mother about it.  The owner's apparently an acquaintance from his, and Agent V described all the different foods and spices the store carries, and all the different African nations they come from.

Agent V overall displayed very good knowledge of African geography, and described the 28 months he spent living in Kenya and occasionally visiting Tanzania.  He waxed nostalgic about the people, saying they were very kind and generous...and then he started talking about the ladies.  Agent V loves him some Kenyan ladies.  He went on and on about how good-looking the women are, how passionate and romantic, and then blissfully sighed about a former Kenyan lady of his.  He had a slightly mischievous tone while talking about his life in Kenya, and I found him amusing as hell.

Eventually, the phone call ended with Agent V saying he was hungry and needed to get off the phone.  He asked if I liked hamburgers, and even though I have a serious addiction, I said no because I knew we couldn't keep chatting away like this.  Agent V let me know where his office is (4 miles from the race track), and wished me good health and a good life.

14 comments:

  1. Always night to have a CSR experience that doesn't make one feel homicidal. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...he also wanted to know where he could find good African movies locally.

      Delete
    2. To talk with and CSR who can make you feel more like an acquaintance or friend is a rare, but good thing, especially when he talk about something interesting.

      Delete
  2. Ank, I love when you have good conversations with folks and share. By the way did he mentioned what part of south east asian he is from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I didn't want to assume when you said Agent V. :)

      Delete
    2. "V" is actually from his last name.

      Delete
    3. As Homer Simpson would say, "D'oh". LOL

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is good. It doesn't happen nearly often enough to offset the crap experiences, but it's good anyway.

    I'll take 23 too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't he say you sound/look like you were 23?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah. Forgot that whole part of the convo.

      Delete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.