8.07.2012

Blasian Lit Thread #18...in which I can't be bothered

I have come across some recent romance/erotica books with Blasian themes but the majority are so cringe worthy that I cannot be bothered to make this post as fancy as my others. So there will only be book titles and links to Amazon, I am not going to do images or brief summaries.


In Love With An Asian Assassin by Sasha Collins
How I Seduced My ASIAN Boss by Sasha Collins
BWAM Interracial Erotica: Sex With A Samurai by Naomi Love
Interracial Sex Stories: Seduced By An Asian Billionaire by Naomi Love
Accepting the Dragon by Reanna Malori
The Contract: Sunshine by Shiree McCarver
A Heart Shaped Hogan (Native Hearts) by RaeLynn Blue

I'm sure you can tell from the some of the titles up there why I say I can't be bothered. But I can spend sometime lamenting this book; Crimson Footprints by Shewanda Pugh. Take a look at how awesome the book cover is;


Now let's take a minute to appreciate the image above before reading the blurb.
When an insecure woman begins a cloak-and-dagger love affair with a Japanese American man, she is intent on keeping her bigoted family in the dark albeit with devastating consequences. On the night of her brother s murder, Deena Hammond stumbles upon Takumi Tanaka, lost and on the wrong end of a .32. After rescuing him from the certain fate driving through the hood in a Porsche will bring, a sweet kind of friendship begins. A balm for her grief. Maybe, Deena likes to think, it happened the day her white mother killed her black father. Or maybe, it was always a part of them, like DNA gone bad. Whatever the case, Deena knows that her family would never approve, hell, never acknowledge her fast-growing love for Takumi. And had he never made love to her that way, in that unraveling, soul-searching sort of way, she could ve done the same. But love s a devil that way. So, their game begins. One where they hide what they are from everyone. Anyone. And Tak understands this for now. After all, Deena s career hinges on the favor of her mentor and boss, his hard-ass of a father. And the Hammond family is already stretched thin with grief. Yet, each step Deena takes toward family and career brings her closer to an acceptance she s never had. And away from him.
I stopped reading at "...the day her white mother killed her black father". And I was so excited when I saw the cover too...Please can these books that focus on how hard and bad it is to be a Black woman just cease to exist? There are so many books out there with insecure Black women, who are unsure of/hate themselves, are just getting out of a disastrous relationship after catching their boyfriend in bed with their cousin or best friend and then happen to bump into the most perfect man who helps them become "fully realised" human beings. No. I thought it was generally accepted that hinging your realisation or happiness on another human being is not advisable. Just no.

It pains me that there are not more Blasian books out there that do not focus on this romance theme. Oh well, my new genre of interest is officially lesbian speculative fiction, when Blasian themed books stop being so disappointing I will go back to being bothered.


31 comments:

  1. What's with all the alliteration? Or am I being overly sensitive to crap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be interesting if the books focused less on it being a Black woman and Asian man and more on the chance meeting of two people who are a good fit for one another. Also I wonder if somewhere in some Asian country an Asian man is plucking away at his computer..... writing his opus to BWAM love......working titles "Watermelon and Tamika"...or the classic "Excuse me sir, is this hair a 4B or 4C?".......It would be nice to see much more mature writing for this genre and much more male interaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Watermelon and Tamika" <-S.L.A.I.N

      Delete
    2. working titles "Watermelon and Tamika"...or the classic "Excuse me sir, is this hair a 4B or 4C?"

      LMAO!

      Delete
    3. Dammit, Dulce...you were about to owe me a quick $1500 for nearly spitting my Kool-Aid on my laptop!


      writing his opus to BWAM love......working titles "Watermelon and Tamika"...or the classic "Excuse me sir, is this hair a 4B or 4C?" You need your ass straight kicked for this hilarious bit. But as it stands, you win today's iteration of the Internet.

      "Watermelon & Tamika" is my new catch-phrase for randomness...

      Delete
    4. *dead and still laughing from the underworld*

      Delete
    5. anonymous J
      Laughing. Thank goodness I am not drinking anything near my computer.

      Delete
    6. Dulce...you were wrong for that. *dies*

      Delete
    7. I'm too through lol

      Delete
    8. Ok Dulce, you go sit in the corner in time out! That was just hilarious!

      Delete
  3. LOL at these books. It's not surprising though with the rise in self-publishing. It's like people have taken what they would have written for Literotica.com--a site I know nothing about--and publishing them through Kindle. Just look at how short these stories are. You can sell 11 pages for $3!? Shit, I should start writing again! And seeing as Fifty Shades of Grey started as Twlight fanfiction and now has millions in sales, I suppose others are trying to cash in on that idea as well. I'm guessing these books are simply for women looking to read BW/AM sex scenes and not much else. Why are they paying when Literotica.com is free--which I don't know anything about.

    Also, The Contract sounds like 20 K-dramas mashed into one with an interracial "twist."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As someone who's written for Literotica, all I can say is that it serves a very distinct purpose.

      Jeez, what you've just said about 50 SoG (a book I have no intention of reading) makes my job as a serious author that much more difficult.

      Delete
  4. There's a fic over on The Chamber that I'm keeping my eye on. It's unfinished, but it features a Blasian couple in their 40s, who're both into alternative genres of music and fashion - stuff that you rarely see in Black lit., much less Blasian lit. It has none of the 'omg how will these two very different people get to love each other/get the asian dude's family to love the girl' crap, and the Black heroine is FAAAAR from suffering or insecure. As soon as it's finished, I'll link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alasia here, I don't entertain bwam fiction anymore due to the lack of diversity and sometimes depth of the main female character. They all follow a similar path down to their skin colour and background (read; mixed). I look forward to the day when there is a diverse mix of stories involving this coupling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you Alasia! Yes to a diverse mix of stories, maybe the BN should do a call for Blasian fiction that is not strictly romance.

      Delete
    2. Co-signing hard on this idea.

      Delete
    3. Why don't we (the Narrative) do such a call? Why don't we post prompts/suggestions/ideas we'd like to see done by Blasian writers? Why don't we just put the shit out there and see what happens? Some people may need such a push. There are so many subjects/topics/genres out there that it may be a bit hard to navigate.

      People tend to stay in their comfort zone (and let's not kid ourselves; contemporary romance is easy to default to), and a lot of writers out there don't want to put more work than necessary into getting a book published. But there are those who want more. Give the people what they want, and let's start with some good solid ideas.

      I'll spearhead this effort. If anyone has ideas for some quality non-romance Blasian fiction ideas or prompts, shoot me an email via the contact link and I'll do a post. Don't be shy. Let's not just talk about it, let's be about it. The Narrative is about moving forward, so let's go.

      Delete
    4. Amaya, this is a really good initiative and thanks for volunteering to spearhead the effort. Prompts/suggestions/ideas and all are very good and will be helpful to some. I know we have a lot of writers who visit the BN and are maybe just hoping for a little push.

      Let's not just talk about it, let's be about it.

      Exactement!

      Delete
    5. Add this to the infinite number of reasons why I love Amaya. One thing that may help. Let's start small. Maybe a flash fiction or a short story prompt first just to get the ball rolling to see who's going to step up and put it down.

      Delete
    6. I would love to participate. Unfortunately, my plate is kinda full right now :/

      Delete
  6. I actually read the contract sunshine and I actually liked it =/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay this is good to hear, since you can vouch for the book. Those who are interested in reading the book from this post will hopefully see your comment and be encouraged to buy The Contract Sunshine as not everyone has the same preferences (and this is totally fine!)

      Delete
  7. The covers of some of these are terrible not to mention offensive (what is up with the 1970s kung fu film font?). I don't even want to go into what I read in the samples. :-S

    ReplyDelete
  8. " Watermelon and Tamika" ..awww man! just made my day. Needed that jolt of humor after looking out my window at these dreary gray skies.

    May as well entitle some of these IR/AMBW novels as that. I'm not a professional writer or journalist ,but some of the titles of these stories sounds like something coming from a newspaper or your local news than the beginning of a romance novel.Maybe the authors aren't aware of what they are doing..I don't know,but it's like they really trying hard to get the potential readers attention by doing it. I don't know about other people,but for me, being so open about the gist of the story just damages my interest in reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At this very moment, I'm pondering exactly why I'm working so damn hard to try to tell good stories. After slaving away 12 to 14 hours a day, then tending to my family and friends, I'm almost desperate to bang out quality work. It would be so much easier to self-publish trash. Silly me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soo... I love reading erotica - heck I write erotica. I also have met other writers who write erotica through a quirky little site known as Literotica. In the I/R love section there is a writer who put out two stories that goes by the penn name Kalamazoo707. One of the most popular stories of the genre is a series she wrote called "I will love you forever".

    The story is set just before the U.S. enters World War II. The main characters are a black woman and a japanese man. He fell in love with her at first sight - she was the first person he saw when he stepped off the boat and arrived in L.A. The author has taken down the first series, and plans to publish it soon. It is definitely worth the read.

    She has a sequel set after the end of WWII, with their life with two gorgeous kids, and going to school to become doctors. They have a strong knit community of close friends and family who protect them through many peri;s and always make sure that the children prosper and thrive.

    It's pretty fantastic, and worth checking out... Just my honest opinion...

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. -__- I'm gonna put on my thinking cap and write a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonder news. We can't wait to hear what you've come up with regarding your story.

      Delete
  12. Thank you I have seen some of these books and WTF has rang all through my head. I mean who comes up with this stuff and why and please stop. I don't care I judge books by their covers

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.