8.23.2012

Dreamcasting & Writing Submission #2: Rajendra

Since no one else is stepping up, I figure I might as well.

Disclaimers:
  1. I write experimental fiction.  It can be...odd...at times.
  2. To boycott pointless romance and heterosexploitation, I'm swearing off sex scenes.
  3. I'm drawn to female-dominated casts.
  4. This is original work, so don't steal.  I will come after you.  I have ways.
And now with that out of the way, I'm going to briefly explain my story before introducing the cast.

The story is entitled Rajendra and takes place in a mythical world.

"Teardrop" is the name of a young sailor who's known nothing but life on the Sea.  She was found by her ship's captain when she was only baby.  Named for the teardrop-shaped gem around her neck, which was abandoned with her, legend has it she's the daughter of the Weeping God, whose temple lies on the other side of the world.  After reaching adulthood and having saved up some money, Teardrop sets out onto Dry Land to find the truth about her parents.

On the way, she travels through the Empire of Sunkara, where the Emperor has recently been insulted by one of one of his subordinates, Lord Harish, 3rd Archon of the Northern Watchtower.  The Emperor has sentenced Harish to life imprisonment in the hellish Ice Prison where the soulless Lady Gauri reigns as the infamous "Queen of the Frozen."

Upon arrival in Sunkara, Teardrop finds temporary work at a spunky blacksmith's forge.  In addition to learning about the world of Dry Land, she learns from the blacksmith, Shymala, that the now-notorious Harish has broken free of his frosty chains and go into hiding, along with several other prisoners.  So the Emperor assigns one of his more exemplary subordinates, Lady Arundhati, 1st Archon of the Western Watchtower, to retrieve him.  Determined not to fail, Arundhati dispatches the deadly Rajendra, a Living Shadow, to track Harish down.

While Rajendra initially goes to pick up the trail, Arundhati finds herself trapped between a furious prison warden and a frustrated blacksmith.  Gauri is upset because her "favorite" prisoners have been set free.  Shymala is upset because her forge was broken into and her most prized possession stolen, a harinder, which is the only blade that can kill a Living Shadow.

The three women agree that if Rajendra is killed and Harish goes free, the Emperor's wrath will be most terrible.  So they decide to up and find Rajendra to warn him.  Fascinated by the people of Dry Land, and amused by all its chaos, Teardrop decides to go along on the adventure.  But before the women can leave the Ice Prison, Rajendra returns to report that Harish has fled Sunkara altogether, leaving behind a cold trail and a very large bounty on his head.  Rajendra recommends the group travel South to consult the Sunset Oracle, who offers great insight to all who can answer the infamous Riddle of Suffering.

Freema Agyeman as
"Teardrop", the Wandering Sailor
Tiya Sircar as "Arundhati",
1st Archon of the
Western Watchtower
Lynn Chen as "Shymala" the Blacksmith, or
Lady of the Forge
Amber Stevens as "Gauri", Queen of the Frozen
(the Prison Warden)
Jana Mashonee as "Vidya",
the Sunset Oracle
Kunal Nayyar as "Rajendra",
the Living Shadow

25 comments:

  1. I love the wandering, fantastical feeling riding over this prompt. Don't know how you do it with your myths but they always get up out of the page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It needs some tweaking, but I think it could work.

      Delete
  2. This sounds fascinating. I'm a filmmaker so my brain automatically starts envisioning the world of a story, that's how I know whether I'll read it or not, and yours looks incredible. Yay for #2. And #3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize my display name was my company name...I've made the adjustment. I don't want to be an entity here.

      Delete
    2. Hey, Fearless E! Thanks! And welcome to the Narrative!

      Delete
  3. I understand that there will be no sex scenes, but will there be any romantic relationships at all? Not that I find them particularly important, I'm just curious.

    Also, LOVE your casting choices. Freema Agyeman is SO BEAUTIFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      I'm trying to think outside the box on this one, so I want to develop a romantic relationship between the audience and Rajendra.

      Delete
    2. The name "Rajendra" sounds like the beginning of an epic love affair.

      Delete
  4. Maybe nobody stepped up because you and Amaya are freakin' epic writers and they're afraid their work will suck... It's not me but a um ... a friend told this is how she felt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell your friend to be inspired, not intimidated.

      Delete
    2. So my friend took your advice and has just submitted her dreamcasting.I hope ya'll like it. ;)

      Delete
  5. When I first started to write I created worlds with solar systems, governments, etc... I did one which is a sci-fi fantasy- http://blacksuperhero.com/bsh/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8976&start=30

    Would I post the writings here? Or do I submitted it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fantasy is called Panurion: Kelyn's Fire

      Delete
    2. Email us: blasiannarrative[.]gmail[.]com.

      Delete
    3. Meanie, I think you're awesome!

      Delete
    4. Awe...Thanks Amaya. :)

      Delete
    5. I will be submitting a story soon, need to edit. It doesn't have a romance but it does have sexual tension between the main characters.

      Delete
  6. I know that you said you're not doing any sex/romantic stories but that Kunal ...wow....!he looks so romantic.That was one of many reasons I was drawn to Bollywood..those good looking men!Though I know that Hollywood wouldn't want it,a face like that needs to be in a romance picture. In general,Kunal looks good in anybody's movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kunal looks good in anybody's movie.

      Oh, dear God yes!

      Delete
  7. Romance with the audience? Freddie Mercury managed to do that quite well on stage, so it would be great to see it develop between a fictional character and readers. I'm not at all anti-romance, just anti-pointless sex passing itself off as character development. I have no qualms about anything just fading to black because my imagination is fertile. ;)

    When I'm ready to share, BN will be among the first to know. Early 2013 is the goal. The summary should be available in December 2012.

    Kunal Nayyar...yum. I want to run my fingers through his hair. Don't tell Mr. H. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our lips are sealed...for a price.

      Delete
    2. You know. I could tell him myself and save myself the whitemail. ;) Kunal would ruin my stories by forcing me to add gratuitous sex... and pretend it's character development. Yes...

      Delete
  8. Thank goodness a story with no sex scenes. I love the story reminds me of an swashbuckling adventure. But one thing, is this a clockpunk or a steampunk

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.