8.17.2012

Edward Hong: Sexy, Racy

Let's try this again.

Actor, writer, director, and poet Edward Hong - "the guy who makes the girls go ga-ga" - is closing down HanSarangPoet and opening up SexyRacyTime.


Keep in mind, this is the gentleman who once said this:
When I produced "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When The Rainbow is Enuf" (the original choreopoem is so much better than that Tyler Perry shiet) back in college, I found myself noticing the fierce inner and outer beauty of African American women, especially those of the cast members, and loving it. Of course, I had to really make sure that this love for Black women was not for any gross objectifying reasons but for legit reasons beyond exotic fantasies. It had to be based on love, the kind with grounded reality, the kind that doesn't treat the woman in a light that is not true to her.

Okay that was a mouthful but that's basically where it got started. I have noticed that this kind of attraction is a rarity among East & South Asian men but it would seem that this is something that is noticeable within a lot of other men as well. Darkness seems to be a color that seems to be undesired by the mainstream and even in hip hop videos, if there are any black women to be seen, it's the caramel colored ones that get all the love. Now don't get me wrong, I certainly have a lot for the caramel colored black women (Alicia Keys!!) but darkness to me is something I see not as a lack of or anything negative and the Blasian poem would become the personified expression of just that.
and this:
Activist is such a massive word and in itself is an undertaking that cannot be underestimated. Being an actor is taken only seriously when one actually hustles and put themselves out there. Same thing with any other profession. An activist, however, is someone who puts their lives out in the streets, who protests, who organizes/mobilizes, and doesn't sit around "liking" posts or statuses on Facebook or retweet things they find progressive on Twitter. True activists call folks like these "slacktivists."

I don't think I have the honor of calling myself an activist because I am guilty of being a "slacktivist" too many times. But if creating humorous YouTube videos allows me to educate/enlighten people, if I put out articles and any form of expression that has me being honest about what I think of the world and people around me, then I believe I have activist tendencies in my entertainment world. But I designate the true activists to those who are risking their lives out there and making some truly radical change in their commitment.

But for now, I think being an actor as well as starting out to be a writer/producer/director gives me the ability to tell stories that can affect change, if only for one person. If one person's world changes slightly because of what I put out, then that is a gift that is far more valuable than any monetary successes this career may or may not provide.
I, for one, am most definitely looking forward to his new series.

Recommended

At the Bar with Edward Hong

9 comments:

  1. The truth should be told about the dislike of dark skin blacks especially withinthe black community. Being a caramel color brown skin Puerto Rican diva. I have a soft spot for dark skin men. But more so for my fella dark skin sistas who are absent in the spectrum of beauty.
    How can it not be perfection? To me dark skin is the sight of perfection. Maybe I am mess up in the head. I secretly envoy the beauty that dark skin can hold. I hate how mainstream culture can not see what I see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right there with you. I'm a light-skinned sistah. Most of my family's very dark-skinned - no acne, no lines, no blemishes, no signs of flaws or aging whatsoever - and for some reason the gods felt the need to skip that gene over me.

      Delete
    2. I'm lightest in my family. I have the worse skin and suffer skin allergies. My grandmother was fair skin and frickle. I didn't get frickles but I got her sensitive skin even though I came out brown. I tan like a brazilian girl. I get browner and burn on my face. Lol

      Delete
    3. I noticed of the darker skinned people I do see, they have some of the smoothest and prettiest skin ever. My family has all different skin shades, with my younger sister having browner shade than the rest of us. I'm trying to get her to see that she honestly has the prettiest skin of us all.

      Delete
    4. I can honestly say I love my complexion. I am light-skinned, but that doesn't mean I don't think dark-skinned sisters aren't beautiful. That is just me loving who I am. Some of the most beautiful people in the world are black as midnight and I love them. Black is beautiful in any shade.

      Delete
  2. I've been seeing this come up alot on tumblr. While I'm not the lightest in my family (light-medium brown), I've always had what some call a reverse complex of wanting to be my mothers smooth dark complexion. While I use all natural skin and hair care that I make myself I am blessed with my mothers smooth skin..."I get it from my mamma" lol. But seriously, I've always rooted for more appreciation and representation of women that look like my mother, my sister, my aunts, my nana, and countless cousins and other kin folk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wish media had the same equal amout of love for the various shades of brown. Its beautiful to see how diverse brown skin even at its most darkest. Its a beatiful truth hidden by prejudice fear.

    Its still blows my min how an Asian guy could gush about the beauty dark skin. I've read about white men and Latino mean having the admiration. But an Asian guy? I think that is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. This guy wears a cape of pure awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.