8.23.2012

Huy Le: "We're Pregnant!!!!"

Previously

The Narrative Welcomes Huy Le

Congrats to the happy couple!  From blogger Huy Le:
We’re pregnant!!!!
August 1, 2012

Dear everyone,

Jameelah and I are pregnant! Ok, technically Jameelah is pregnant. But, you know…I kind of helped a little. The few people we’ve told ask, How do you feel? Well, excited, happy, and kind of scared, as if someone told me an eccentric uncle just kicked the bucket and left me a unicorn. I mean, I love unicorns, but I’ve never had one before, so how would I take care of this unicorn when it arrives? The only thing I am sure of is that we will at some point buy a bouncy chair, because babies love to bounce for some reason. I could be entertained for hours, watching the little tyke bounce in its bouncing chair. Also, something called “Tummy Time.”

By the way, I’m still kind of jetlagged, so this post may not be the most coherent.

We were in Vietnam when we found out. Being suspicious, we decided to buy pregnancy tests. The trouble was, I didn’t know the word in Vietnamese for this item. In Dalat, we went into a convenience store, mainly to get some conditioner for Jameelah. “Pst,” she said, “while we’re here, ask for a pregnancy test.” I looked at the clerk, a girl maybe 18. “So…” I said, “um…so, do you have…a, uh, a stick, that, um, you pee on, and it tells you if…you…”

She looked at my blushing face, then looked at Jameelah, and a wide smile formed. “A que thu thai?” she said. (Literally a “stick to test for pregnancy.)

“Yes, yes. That,” I said.

“Nope!”

We trudged to a pharmacy, where I had to relive my embarrassment. (Maybe this is why “embarazada” is the term in Spanish for pregnant).

The first time she tested, Jameelah got very excited. “Look!” She said, “there’s a faint red line. You can barely see it because it’s so early, but I’m sure I’m pregnant.”

“Let me see,” I said, looking closer. The line was barely there. There was no way to be positive. Maybe all the tests had that line. We only bought one, so there was no control test. I didn’t believe it. We had to go out and buy several more. Over the next four days, she would test, and the line became slightly darker.

“Nope, we still can’t be sure,” I said, ”still too faint. We can’t give ourselves or our families false hope.” Jameelah was getting frustrated at my stubbornness, but hey, better to be completely sure before we told people. In Saigon, she tested again. This time the line was dark and clear as day. “I’m pregnant!” she said, “just admit it! There are no false positives!” I looked at it suspiciously. I raised it to the light. I checked the instructions on the box. I looked back at the little stick I was holding. I raised it back up to the light. I looked at Jameelah, who was smiling with big, hopeful eyes.

“We’re pregnant!” I said, hugging her.

A baby. A tiny little baby, so helpless, swaddled up like some sort of alien cocoon. I started thinking about that little baby I held a few weeks ago, a month old, who tried to “talk” to me in her little baby language, something like “gahhh, uhh, ooh, wah.” That baby was so cute. I hope my baby will be as cute and will talk to me also.

We have temporarily called our baby “Button,” because we had joked about naming our kids after various mushrooms. Jameelah is ecstatic, obsessed now with every little symptom, googling things constantly. “Did you know,” she said, “that at about this time, our baby is the size of a sesame seed?” Orange seed, she would announce a few days later, then apple seed the next day. I thought an orange seed would be bigger than an apple seed, so the baby should be about the size of an apple seed first, THEN the size of an orange seed.

But I kept this to myself. Of all her symptoms that are starting to develop, the one I fear most will be the mood swings. “There will be absolutely nothing you can do except to be nice when they happen,” she said.

“Oh heck no,” I said, “you know they’re irrational, these mood swings. We both know they are irrational!” Anyone who knows me knows I don’t put up with irrational stuff.

She stared at me.

“You…would upset Little Button?”

Well, fine, I don’t want to upset Little Button.

Jameelah’s doctor in Seattle has confirmed the results of the que thu thai, and the due date is April 2nd. “Oh, God,” I said, “it’ll be an Aries! It’ll be stubborn as hell!”

I am not so sure if it has really hit me yet. In about 8 months, I’ll be a father. That’s so strange to think about. Right now, as I type this, Button’s cells are multiplying like crazy, forming into a tiny person. I hope I’ll be a good father. I hope the baby will be healthy and I’ll look forward to when Button has Tummy Time.

Whatever the heck that is.

“Whoa!” said Jameelah from her laptop, “did you know the baby’s heart forms OUTSIDE its body first?! Eek!”

There is a lot to learn. I’ll be blogging more often, from a first-time dad’s point of view, just to warn you in case you are not interested in baby-related stuff.
See Also

Stuff not to say to your pregnant partner

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you and your wife. A word of advice: enjoy as much sleep as you possibly can! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, I am so very happy for Huy and Jameelah!!! I wish them decades of family bliss together. I hope the birth is easy and painless, with a healthy baby and a swift recovery. :)

    After being introduced to Huy in the other post on BN, I read tons and tons of his blog posts. He is hilarious!!! He reminds me of Dave Barry, my all-time favorite humorist. I will be checking out his blog very often from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already said this but not here yet, CONGRATS to you and Jameelah!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.