9.06.2012

First Lady Michelle Obama Wows China

First Lady Michelle Obama

This post is by no way meant to be political, but I just had to share an article that I saw today.  While I can't say that I'm in any way surprised (because really, the First Lady is absolutely wonderful), it's still one of those stories that makes me smile. 

From Huffington Post (with original links):
Michelle Obama's speech at the Democratic National Convention garnered rave reviews from voters and media pundits alike.

But it wasn't just Americans who were captivated by Tuesday night's address: The speech is spreading rapidly -- and was well received -- in China.

The Daily Dot reports the speech was shared more than 20,000 times on China's Twitter Sina Weibo. The social network also saw more than 1,000 comments on the speech, the Atlantic notes.

Tea Leaf Nation, an e-magazine, broke down some of the reactions in China, noting the speech received "a particularly warm reception." Among the Chinese comments, the speech was called inspiring, divine and moving. There were criticisms too, but those appeared to be in the minority.

According to the Daily Dot, one user identified as Yingwang Dechang said: “I’m not an American, so why, when I’ve finished listening to this speech, do I have such an urge to cry?”

Michelle Obama painted her husband as "in touch" with American struggles, with lines such as, "We were so young, so in love, and so in debt" and "So in the end, for Barack, these issues aren't political – they're personal." These lines also resonated in China, where some called President Obama "lucky."

The Chinese haven't been watching the U.S. election as closely as in 2008, so far at least, in part because China is undergoing its own leadership transition, Bloomberg reports. But when Michelle Obama spoke, many were listening.
You know, it really is profound (and sad) that people in other countries can appreciate our First Lady's beauty and grace, but born and bred Americans go out of their way to disrespect her at every turn.  The rest of the world must think we're idiots.  I tend to agree.

*If you missed it, you can see her amazing speech here.

17 comments:

  1. Cinnamon...girl...it's good to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can count on me to pop in when I find something interesting to post. :)

      Delete
  2. but born and bred Americans go out of their way to disrespect her at every turn.

    They don't know what to do with the FLOTUS or how to classify her. She ain't an ignorant, loudmouth welfare queen with fiftyleven chillun and 5 baby daddies. This is the aforementioned Americans' perspective about most black women, and to see someone as utterly fabulous and flawless as the FLOTUS smashes that perspective into a million little pieces.

    So they attack her weight, her size, her proportions, or simply call her a black (insert slur here) in a futile effort to tear her down because they know she's awesome, has outclassed the previous FLOTUSes (FLOTII?), and they don't want to give a sistah any props. But the classy Michelle knows exactly who she is and I'm sure she knows that every time her image graces TV or magazines, thousands and thousands of people get pissed off and/or burn with envy.

    Sometimes the best revenge is living well and looking good. Michelle has this down pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "And @Evil摄影师 from Hangzhou commented: 'This is the kind of woman a man needs.'"

      ~ Tea Leaf Nation

      Delete
    2. I liked the one that called President Obama "lucky." Why do I have a feeling that a lot of men (all over the world) are feeling that way? Wasn't there some leader somewhere that was feeling her hard? I can't remember who though...

      Delete
    3. Remember when Bill Clinton said he wanted a President who had the good sense to marry Michelle Obama?

      Delete
  3. Michelle Robinson Obama for Empress of the Universe!

    These sentiments are not just being echoed in China. The same is happening worldwide. Even people who are suspicious of POTUS can't find fault with FLOTUS!!!

    Every time this woman opens her mouth, my chest fills with pride and joy. On a good day, I even shed a tear, a colossal feat for a hard-ass like me. If I ever need to look up the word, role model, I'd better find Michelle Robinson Obama's image right next to the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For real though...I hope she runs for president someday. I think she'd have a great shot of winning, she's so popular. Hey, Hilary did it. Why not her?

      Delete
  4. You know, it really is profound (and sad) that people in other countries can appreciate our First Lady's beauty and grace, but born and bred Americans go out of their way to disrespect her at every turn. The rest of the world must think we're idiots. I tend to agree.

    It put me in mind of shocked I was to see Brits and Australians fawning all over Serena Williams. I'd gotten so used to Americans talking so much smack that hearing folks praise her skill and beauty made me do a double take.

    For all you non-Americans living outside our country and wondering WTF is wrong with us...um, right there with you, folks. Right there with you. We ARE idiots and you have every right to think so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in Canada and I don't understand how anyone could hate this woman. She is remarkable and I would love to see her run for POTUS. I am not African-American, but I am very proud of her.

      Delete
  5. @天能渡 from Sichaun province wrote, “Not bad, I feel it’s much better than President Obama’s speeches.”

    Chuckling at this b/c I've ALWAYS thought Michelle was a better speaker than his O-ness. In fact I've heard him say it himself several times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're still young. She could still run for President some day. Lord know she's popular enough.

      Delete
  6. Now that's real power when you influence the world. I could be wrong,but I don't think that there will be a first lady like Michelle.Her critics want to be her in every way possible,but they can't. I was also looking at Sasha and Malia.They have grown to a lot.Malia has some model potential.Wouldn't be surprised if she was asked to be one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Outside the U.S black women are seen so differently. Even those who come from Africa are seeking higher degree in education. American has the most negative views on black women. Asia exposer to black women is through media but also the women who work there. Every blog i read in regards to black women who live in Asia are mostly working professtionals. So Asia has a more better perspective of a black women. But euro white women have this also but as well prositution. Black women are not know to prositute themselves in Asia. More so in europe but not in such large numbers. Same in south and central america. Black women outside the U.S is just more diverse and accepting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. halima(is my name)

      um i have to disagree with one part of mybiasbeastyourbias when he says EVEN africans are seeking higher degrees of education, you see mybias, the most highly educated persons in the US(found through a census in 2008 i believe)are nigerian and predominently first or second generation nigerian americans. This means they have beat out all other races when it comes to their educational background OUTSIDE of their own country.

      sorry just had to set the record straight.

      Delete
    2. Imma see
      I didn't know that but I notice where I live its an increase of women seeking degrees and a decrease of men. That is a trend in college and universities. But thanks about informing me I welcome it.

      Delete
  8. My husband (he's Korean) said to me the other day "I wish all women were like her. Baby can you grow up to be like her?" IT made me proud that he said ALL WOMEN and not ALL BLACK WOMEN. She is truly a remarkable woman and one that should be praised as a model person regardless of color.

    It's so sad that because of her color, so many will miss out on the spectacular and wise words that come when she opens her mouth. So many young girls will miss out on a positive role model who they could emulate due to their parents own prejudices...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.