11.24.2012

Signal boosting this survey

I was going to signal boost this romance novel preferences survey on my personal blog and thought that I should do the same here, as I know we've discussed romance novels here and have a lot of opinions on them going by the comments on the lit threads. Recently, a couple of awesome awesome internet friends launched a collective with the aim of publishing romance novels that were not part of the status quo. I agreed to help out with this initiative because I think this is an awesome idea, and I am all for romance novels that are non-normative. Here is some more information;
We are a collective of motivated individuals with a love for romance novels AND social justice. Given the current state of the romance novel industry, we feel that the kind of books we really want to read just are not being written, so we would like to start up a publishing press to fill this lack of representation. By completing this survey, you are helping us assess the size of our market, and how best to cater to its demands. Help us make our dream of readily available socially transformative smut a reality. 
So far there has been an awesome response to the survey, however most of it has come from white people. This defeats the purpose of the collective almost completely. We need more people of colour to fill the survey and say what you want to see in the romance genre and what you wish was better in the genre. I am with Hateya on us not letting white people control our narratives. I have high hopes for the kind of books the collective will publish and there is a diverse team behind this who I pretty much trust as much as I can trust internet friends.

Please take the time to fill out the survey if you are so inclined and help us reach the 1000 responses from people of colour target! Thanks.

11 comments:

  1. I filled out the survey. I enjoy romance but usually the type of romance that I have been reading for the past 5-6 years are book series and they evolve around Mystery,Paranormal, or action type. Such as L.A. Banks Vampire Huntress series or Crimson Moon Series. David Handlers Berger and Mitry series, or Suzanne Brockmann troubleshooters series. It can be interracial, erotica, etc... I just want a good book to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the thing, when I say I love romance and people judge or rush to say how much they don't like romance, I feel like clarifying. I don't recall the last time I read a romance book that focused solely on romance, a lot of what I read are paranormal as well, there is as much emphasis on fighting off the bad guys as well as the sex scenes. Ditto with mystery, I also read a lot of lesbian romance, BDSM romance, steampunk romance...one of the recent romance books I read and loved was a lesbian deep space action adventure. It was awesome, even though one of the heroines had serious jealousy issues.

      That's why I support this initiative, they want to publish books that are good and have romantic themes. I think anyone can appreciate this.

      Delete
  2. I filled it out. I liked how the questions were worded. It took me an hour but I'm sure I really got my point across. :). Its nice knowing my thoughts count too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and your thoughts always count. I hope the goal of 1000 POC respondents is reached.

      Delete
  3. Done. I hate romance novels, so this took less than a minute. I did take the time to say what I'd prefer to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love romance novels and it didn't take me a long time to finish this. These days I've found romance novels that are close to my ideal so I have a clearer idea of what I want to read. Haha, I believe my choice for an ideal romance novel was a pan-African lesbian road trip during the zombie apocalypse.

      Delete
  4. Haven't read a romance novel in many a moon, but...signal boosted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope this is still going on. I just filled it out. I think some laughs will be had from that last question especially.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Done, I hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.