3.17.2013

Behind the Book: Interviewing Author, Jiani Yu Williams, w/ Robert Darrien

Jiani Yu Williams, you are an incredible role model and incredibly talented, what inspired you to write each one of your books 'THE PLEASURE PALACE' and 'THE GOLDEN DRAGONS'?

I have always had a passion for Asian culture. I wrote, 'THE GOLDEN DRAGONS' over two decades ago and at that time, there were no romance books with Asians and Blacks. It was a semi auto bio, 'THE PLEASURE PALACE' I did not want it to be your ordinary romance. I wanted an unusual twist to it.

What values and beliefs would you want your readers to walk away with after reading your books?

In the GD, Edward, one of the main characters going against his families/triad's beliefs and values.  He stood his ground knowing that there was a strong possibility that he would be an outcast.

Then you have Akira in 'THE PLEASURE PALACE', who has no regrets about what he does for a living and proud of it.  Akira is an arrogant S.O.B.   All that comes to a head when faced with a crisis.  Now he must choose, "Continue down the same path or a different one."

For someone who was curious or scared about dating outside their race, what would you tell them?

I'd tell them to go for it.  Be in the relationship for the right reason.  The relationship should never be about how many different races you have dated or slept with to "see if it was different" The relationship should be that you are truly interested in their culture and because you have feelings for one another.

For a woman who's involved in dating outside her race, what are some tips that you would give her?

Be strong, because you are going to get hit from both sides. Surround yourself with like-minded people, join support groups that cater to your taste.

How do you feel about interracial relationships currently portrayed on TV/Movies/Music Industries?  What would you like to see in the future?

This is a good questions.  When I was growing up, there were hardly any blacks on TV, and not too many in a leading role in the movies.  Now days you see a lot of Caucasians and "Every other race" on TV and Movies. I would like the movie industries to think outside the box.  Just because, the script was written for a Caucasian person, does not mean you have to cast one.  There are a lot of Ethnic actors/actresses that can do the job.  I loved the part with Gabrielle Union and John Cho in, "Flash Forward." I was like, "It's about time."  Hollywood is all about money, and if too many people are complaining, they're scrapping it.
Music, I love it when the artist is trying to make the connection to reach everybody. Even when the artist cannot speak English, but has the lyrics translated. It just goes to show that the artist is making the effort. Music is a universal language.

Your concept about interracial dating, was it something that you were raised with or was it something you learned on your own based off of experience?

I have always been an E.O.D. "Equal Opportunity Dater"  My family has just about every race in it.  We call ourselves, "The U.N." There was never a time when I was growing up that I could not date or have friends of another race. I have always told my daughter that the world is larger than the three square blocks where you live.  Sometimes the best fruit is in someone else's yard.  My family is always doing something cultural, such as having Chinese New Year. My friends would say, "That's not what Black people do." ROFL. My response would be, "Who said I was Black?"

For the people who want to date outside their race but have negative Friends or Family members influencing their decision, what would you say to those people?

If the two genuinely love each other and can withstand the possibility that the family may turn their backs on them, then go for it, be happy. Start your own family and teach them to love a person for whom they are on the inside, not the outside.  Family may or may not come around over time.  Friends, if they are not supportive, then they were not your friends in the beginning.

Last but not least, what future projects are you working on?  Possibly another book, movie...???

I would love to see 'THE GOLDEN DRAGONS' in a movie.  I would like to work with Johnnie To or John Woo. I have 4 books currently in the works 2 are Asian, one American Indian, and one Cougar.  ROFL, my muse has taken an unauthorized vacation.  Little does she know that when she gets back, I'll be cracking the whip.

Thank you so much Jiani for sharing your incredible thoughts and ideas. If you are interested in learning more about the books 'THE PLEASURE PALACE' or 'GOLDEN DRAGONS'.  Click on the links below.  I appreciate your time and have a Great Day!!!


CLICK HERE for Information on 'THE PLEASURE PALACE'

CLICK HERE for Information on 'THE GOLDEN DRAGONS'

4 comments:

  1. Great interview. I have to read her books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you go! This is some great work, Robert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh...so this is the renowned Jiani I've been hearing about on so many blogs? This woman is good with her writing. I've read some of her stuff on another blog and I was impressed with what she wrote. I share her sentiments. Besides White/Black couples on TV/movies, I would also like to see more Black/non White pairings on there. I believe that were ready for it(Honestly, I have never thought that we weren't ready for IR couples to be more mainstream.That is the excuse media will use to keep it from being shown.).Although Rain didn't get a chance to romance Naomi on Ninja Assassin, it made it No 3.Although it is a provocative show, Scandal is no 1on ABC. Both feature interracial themes in them. That is why I believe it will work if the leads have good chemistry and a good storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice!!! @M, I hear you. I think we all echo the same sentiment that the Rain/Naomi “potential “love connection in NA would have been awesome. I believe when actors are comfortable and open-minded; this carries over to their characters. Whether it is Kerry/Tony in Scandal, Gabrielle Union/John Cho, Grey’s Anatomy Christina and Burke, the audience sees the chemistry and root for them on screen. Not because they are Black, White or Asian, but for fact everyone deserves to love and be loved. Recently, I watched Tasmanian Devils movie on the SyFy channel with actors Terry Chen and Rekha Sharma. They were a kick-ass couple. I was thinking “Please don’t kill off the minorities first.”

    When I read Hayat Ali’s ‘Alpha Promise’ I absolutely fell in love with Jin and Adina. It was refreshing to see a black women paired with another person of color who happens to be a vampire prince. Honestly, I am so tired of black/white storylines set on a slave plantation. Although other fans and I have been patiently waiting more than 3 years now for the upcoming sequel, the characters were so well written it’s worth waiting for.

    Thank you Robert and Jiani for this insightful interview. Both books already added to my growing Blasian Lit collection: 70+ books and counting.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.