3.09.2013

Glenn Killed Off Soon On 'The Walking Dead'??? Real-Life Politics Behind-the-Scenes the Cause??? Review w/ Robert Darrien


To all 'The Walking Dead' fans, one of the most popular characters in this TV series is Steven Yeun also known as Glenn.   When we were first introduced to him, he helped save Rick who was locked in a tank surrounded by zombies in Season 1.  That act of kindness helped save Rick's life but also helped him gain a valuable comrade during the zombie apocalypse.

As we've seen Glenn's character grow throughout the series, he came off initially as a logical, strategic delivery guy who got the job done but as we see him now, he's become even stronger, reliable, and extra bada**.   From being almost beaten to death by Meryl and even almost being zombie fodder for zombies while duct taped to a chair, Glenn has overcome several obstacles.  By the way, that scene was ridiculously awesome when I saw it.  I was thinking, "Nooo, don't let him get killed!!!"  He even ripped open a zombie's body and used its bones as a weapon against his captures.

He has survived against some incredible odds, but I do not know if there is anything that he can do to fight through this up-in-coming challenge off screen.

There has been talk that because of the real life political situation in Korea, his character will be killed off.  I know this has nothing to do with the actual show and that world; but the politics behind the scenes with what's going on in Korea may play a major role in making directorial and producer decisions.

I want to believe that he will continue to survive with Maggie and live happily ever after but what do you think is going to happen in this upcoming episode?  Will Glenn stand up and become leader?  Will he take his revenge upon Meryl?  Will the Governor kill him?  Will the Real-Life Korean politics force them to kill off his character? What do you think?

16 comments:

  1. I believe Glenn is killed off in comic as well... perhaps they're just following cannon? Never got with the walking dead though. Couldn't wrap my head around a show based in ATL inexplicably overrun with white folk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rufus,

      Lol..you bring up a good point about the ATL. Unless they are talking about certain 'burbs, or uptown, it's mostly Black. How did they get away with that?

      Delete
    2. It's supposed to be filmed south of Atlanta, in Newton County. Which, still, is not 100% white.

      I love the show. I love Glenn. He's a fantastic character. But I too, wonder, how long they're going to let him be so epic before they kill his ass.

      Delete
  2. The show basically follows cannon when they want to. For the past 3 seasons they haven't, and the writers said that they were not going to stick with the comic book. Just look at how they are portraying Michonne.

    Glenn does die in the comics. So as far as Glenn dieing because of what's going on in Korea doesn't make sense (But then again you have a show that's basically white washed and allows 2 pocs at the same time in ATL.) Most people see "Asian" than say a Korean-American, you already know how that narrative goes.

    I hope they won't kill him off though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be pissed off if they suddenly gained "inspiration" from real-life politics and killed off his character. I mean, how much more racist can this show get?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't watch the show, but I do hope he makes it to the end. Steven is a cutie, and from the gushing I constantly read, Glenn is a great character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glenn died just recently in the triple digit issues. His death was really messed up but I doubt if he gets killed in the show, it will the result of anti-North Korean hate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i actually hope they don't follow the comic with glenn's character because his death pissed me off so much. I'm pissed just thinking about it,but like the others said they don't really follow too much with the story just look at carl and rick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I already gave up on the show because of Michonne's portrayal and I refuse to see what they did with Tyrese. So unfortunately I have not seen his character development in the continuation of season 3. I do still read the comic and although I know that the show and comic only touch on minor points I do feel that a common act would probably happen for Glenn that has happen in both the comic and the show. He will most likely become a tragic hero. He will probably die with no closure and to save someone else thus becoming a human sacrifice. Will the current political climate affect his character development? I don't know since Kirkman has a weird since of humor. At the end of the comics he has reader comments and a person who penned the name Steven Yeun wrote an annoyed letter to the comic creator for killing off Glenn. Kirkman replied back very annoyed and responded as if he couldn't remember who is Steven Yeun. That reply could mean he has a sense of humor or he has no vested interest in Glenn's character or possibly even the actor who portrays Glenn (even if the reader wasn't the real deal). However, good luck to the people sticking with the show. Hopefully the show will surprise everyone and not keep up with the sloppy writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read the comics (not outside of one or two recent issues), but how is Michonne's television persona troublesome? Ha-ha, Tyrese has barely shown up, which is kind of sad because I hear he was prominent in the comics. It sucks how TWD seems to have a quota on PoC (I agree with the sloppy writing on the end, yeesh).

      Delete
    2. @Horse:

      Shit yeah, there's a quota. When they broke into the prison, there were a bunch of brothas, one Hispanic dude and a white guy. The Hispanic dude gets got first, the other brothas get smoked, and Axel (the white man) actually gets to live for a few eps before getting sniped.

      It's like, there can't be no more than 2-3 black people. T-Dawg died when Oscar showed up, and I called Oscar's death the second Tyreese showed up. I don't expect Sasha (his sister) to make it to the end of the season. Because they have their black female in Michonne (and we won't even get into the utter fail of her characterization, but it rhymes with ghoul spit).

      There's another brotha who's one of the Guvna's mercenaries, but he doesn't speak. I'm sure that once he opens his mouth to speak, he's going to die.

      Delete
  8. I will be so pissed if they kill off Glen. He is my favorite character since the show started even though I was highly upset on how he started off as the " errand boy" ( so glad that that ended and that Lorrie died).
    I'm still waiting for the writers to stop playing with Michonne and use her like she is portrayed in the comics( cuz she is awesome even if she is only shown for 2.5 seconds every other episode).
    I want to see more awesome PoC characters that last for at least two seasons w/ (more) speaking/air presence!!!

    ReplyDelete

Read the Comment Policy before you post.

***Moderation is now in effect for posts over 30 days old.*** DO NOT POST AS ANONYMOUS.