4.22.2013

Say Hi to Baby Button

After 12 difficult hours of screaming and crying—and that’s just me—Jameelah and I are proud to announce the birth of our son, Nam Edwards Le, aka “Button,” which has been his nickname for the past 10 months, at exactly 7 pounds and 20 inches.

Intense labor started at about midnight. Up until then, it was minor contractions, so we just watched episodes of "Chopped" on the Food Network. Then, contractions started really hitting, and it was terrifying and exciting. I don’t know what that feels like, being a dude and all, but I would imagine it was like that one time I did 50 abdominal rolls and the next morning, my stomach hurt like CRAZY every time I moved. I’m sure it’s exactly like that.

And then it got worse. The contractions got closer and closer together, and I was trying to remember everything the instructor told us in baby birthing class, including “Wait till contractions are four minutes apart, lasting one minute each, for one hour, before calling your midwife and heading to the birthing center” and “If your water breaks, check for meconium, which may mean the baby is in distress” and “Huy, that placenta model is not a toy! Stop using it as a hat!”

We were hoping the baby would arrive soon, because if he prolonged the labor, we would have to induce, which sounds painful, probably exactly like that one time I had to get one of my teeth removed. Well, he came, and it turned out to be back labor, which is basically the baby deciding to cause the mother as much pain as possible on exiting. Of course, we were going natural, so it was a long, long 12 hours. Our doula was very helpful, saying things like "That contraction is gone, and it's never coming back" and "You are in power; just punch the pain in the face!" She was straddling the birthing tub, exerting downward pressure to counter the back pain, while Jameelah squeezed my fingers so hard it imprinted my wedding ring into my knuckles.

I had never seen such bravery in the face of unimaginable pain. I will never complain about having to load the dishwasher again; or at least for a month. At one point, the pain was so intense Jameelah started crying while addressing the baby. “Get out of here!” she said, “I don’t need this right now!” At another point, between contractions, she reached out and caressed my hair and looked at me so tenderly, and looking back at my exhausted wife, I was filled with so much love. And fear. “Please, please don’t yank the hair off my head,” I was praying. It made me wonder why anyone would ever have a second child after going through this soul-numbingly painful process.

But then the baby came, and I looked at him with the awe of a new father, and immediately I thought, "My son; my little boy…I hope you get cuter soon, because Daddy has to send out pictures of you to people, and that conical alien head is just not cool…."

Seriously, it's magical, like having your own baby unicorn. Jameelah is doing great. Baby Button is doing fine, and he changes by the minute. We haven’t slept much for days. The baby is so incredible, and sometimes it is so surreal. I can spend hours just staring at him and his little baby hands and tiny baby feet. And I do, because that’s much more fun than actually changing his diaper.

Thank you so much for everyone's kind words and support. I can't wait for Baby Button to meet this awesome community. More updates later.

17 comments:

  1. OMG HE'S HERE!!! HE'S HERE!!!

    Well, he came, and it turned out to be back labor, which is basically the baby deciding to cause the mother as much pain as possible on exiting. Of course, we were going natural, so it was a long, long 12 hours.

    ...aw, hell naw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mommy... from one mom to another *hugs

      Delete
  2. Congrats to you and ur wife. Look at the cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY LITTLE Nam! Congratulations new familyyyyy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Mom and Dad! Your little boy has finally here...what a beautiful and previous child he is.

    I know that Jameelah is more that Nam is here. I'm always amazed at the number of hours some women spend in labor. I don't know if I could have braved those hours of pain like she did. That is major pain right there, but I guess it's not as bad as it is only temporary.

    I was thinking about the part where you mentioned that Jameelah pulled your hair. Initially,it seems funny, but one thing a nurse told my ex brother in law when my first nephew was being born is to NEVER let the woman grab you (no matter what part of your body it is)while giving birth.Seriousy, once they got you, its hard to let go. My former brother in law found this out the hard way. Strangely, for some reason, a nurse told us that.

    I know that you have to be happiest man in the world. Though you and Jameelah are really excited about having your first lil one, you're probably equally as happy that he's a boy. Now you have someone to carry on your last name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWWWWWW! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the birth of your gorgeous baby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Button! Welcome to the light!

    He is too cute for words. Congratulations, you guys! Huy, don't make Jameelah laugh too hard, cause if she's been stitched, it's gonna hurt.

    And no, you better not complain about stupid shit anymore. There is nothing comparable to labor. There is nothing even remotely close that a man can experience to compare it to. There is a reason women are the stronger sex.

    I wish you guys all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!! HE'S HERE!!!!

    Congrats you two - you THREE :))

    My son had a conehead too for a little while LOL ahhhh memories....

    Yaaaay!! *dances and hops around all joyful* :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a precious little boy! Congrats to you two, hope you have lots of happy family moments in the future. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the warm wishes, everyone. Little Button is doing well, and his parents have been able to sleep 2, sometimes even 3 hours each night. Luckily, the sleep deprivation hasn't been affecting us at all, thank you for asking, Oprah, and yes, we would love some cheesecake, Spiderman.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! That is sooo cute! Awww He looks adorable! I just got into maternal nursing and now I get to deliver babies! (Still a high school senior). It's very exciting! But yeah the pain is equal to smashing a man's scrotum but hold on to that pain for several hours. Stage 1 is pretty strenuous but once a woman hits stage 2 its easy sailing. Then stage 3 is the lovely placenta! Child birth is so amazing!

    Here's some videos with babies!! Cute Asians pop up around 29 seconds on the first video

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg1jAWtWUaU

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfxB5ut-KTs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mazel Tov & Masha'Allah to you both. May your beloved child always walk in the Light of Lights, whatever that may be. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratz on the little one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG perfection :-) just perfection !

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute! Congrats to yoy and Jameelah

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.