6.02.2013

Speaking of Movies....

I just went to see the latest installment of Fast & Furious. Spoilers ahead.

Now...because it's a Fast & Furious movie, I'm not going to bog you down with a "review".  It's an over-the-top action flick about cars.  It has flat-assed bimbos in tacky clothing.  It has tattoos and muscles.  It has high-tech crime.  It even has a few laughs.  You already know the beginning, middle, and end without watching the trailer or reading a review, so I'm not going to even bother.

I do, however, want to talk about Sung Kang's character, Han.  Some of you know I've been a fan of his for years; I liked him in Better Luck Tomorrow (Happy 10th Anniversary again, boo-boo) and I fell in love with his character in The Motel.

Han first appeared in the third installment of the F&F franchise - Tokyo Drift - and he died before the movie ended.  Right there, I called fail.  That was some short-sighted, bogus fail.  Why was it necessary to kill off the good-looking Asian protagonist?  What purpose did that serve?  Why was he considered so expendable?  Who held a gun to the writer's head and forced him to off Kang's character?

Granted, the next few movies take place before his death - so that his character may live, but the newest installment brings us up to his death in a car crash and explosion (which effectively bars him from the 2014 installment).  Mind you, this latest installment brings Michelle Rodriguez's character back from the dead.  And not just back from the dead, but back from a similar death - car crash and explosion.  She lived to tell the tale.  True, she has an amnesia, but she's alive.

How come Sung Kang didn't get the same loophole?

Then there's the love interest issue.  Y'all know how that goes.  Whenever it's an Asian guy there's almost always a "catch".  There's always "something":
  1. He doesn't get the girl.  Plain and simple, and the most common scenario...assuming an Asian guy is even cast.
  2. He gets the girl, but it's only implied and ambiguous enough to be up for debate.
  3. He gets the girl, it's flat-out stated, but they don't kiss, they don't get nekkid, and the audience is left wondering why they were even written as a couple in the first place.
  4. He gets the girl, gets to kiss the girl, but she's not a woman of color, so it doesn't resonate with a wider audience*, and the relationship is summarily dismissed and forgotten before the movie even ends.
  5. He gets the girl, gets to kiss the girl, she's a woman of color...and they either break up or somebody dies.
I haven't yet seen the film where Han first hooks up with Gisele Yashar (portrayed by Gal Gadot), but they were a cute ride-or-die couple, and she quickly grew on me with her gun-toting habits.  In the latest film, she dies.

Let me recap: the white guy gets to keep his woman (and their child), the mixed-passing-as-white guy gets two women in this movie...but the Asian guy's woman falls to her death - the fuck is up with that?

No, Han wasn't in a Blasian relationship, but this is still part of The Pattern, and no one knows the Pattern the way Blasians know the Pattern.  Jet Li and Aaliyah fell prey to the Pattern, as did Rain and Naomi Harris, John Cho and Gabrielle Union, and Tim Kang and Eissa Davis...dating all the way back to George Takei and Nichelle Nichols (oh, yes).  The Pattern is ancient and evil and since it's 2013, it really needs to be destroyed once and for all.

I'll be honest...Sung Kang was my reason to even bother with these movies.  Dude's forty and still looking fabulous as ever.  Most of the other "stars" came to the set looking wrecked.

But that's just my humble opinion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*I bring this up because 1) we've already talked about this and, 2) the unspoken statement of the century is that straight men of color actually prefer women of color.  Take the Asian Invasion on YouTube, for example.  The guy's love interest is 99% of the time a woman of color, usually Asian.  Same thing with Black & Sexy TV, another online invasion.  When POC are doing the writing and directing, their first choice is to pair POC...with other POC.

Which explains the #1 reason why POC are often barred from writing and directing...unless they're Tyler Perry.

18 comments:

  1. I had a feeling Gisele would be killed off since attempting to retcon and explain why she wasn't in Tokyo with Han in Tokyo Drift would end up being clumsy. I definitely knew that she'd be dead by the end of the movie when they were talking about settling down in Tokyo and my "bullshit on the horizon" meter went all the way off.

    My heart broke watching Han stumble out of his car numb and alone while the other attached guys got to walk away with their love interests. Really pissed me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart broke watching Han stumble out of his car numb and alone while the other attached guys got to walk away with their love interests. Really pissed me off.

      AMEN.

      And did you notice how long it took them to notice she wasn't there?

      Delete
    2. I Just about burst into flames at that shit

      Delete
    3. And did you notice how long it took them to notice she wasn't there?-Kind of like Bonnie from VD!

      I have to admit I love cars and that is the draw for me with these movies. Though I've only seen two and a half of them. I would like to see (though I know it will never happen) more women of color. I do not want them joining the current group though. I would like to see them going against Vin Diesel's gang and winning. That would be better. At least to me anyway.

      Delete
    4. And did you notice how long it took them to notice she wasn't there?

      Oh you know I did. I felt like I was the only one in the theater disgusted by it. All that talk about being a family and it took them forever to realize Han was on the verge of completely shattering and Gisele was nowhere to be found?! Family my ass.... I'm still seething about this whole scene two days later.

      Delete
    5. All that talk about being a family and it took them forever to realize Han was on the verge of completely shattering and Gisele was nowhere to be found?! Family my ass

      True, true.

      Sung Kang and Gal Gadot had this really cute chemistry you don't see often. The fact that she was so adorable and loved her guns made them all the more endearing. And when her character died, the look on his face made you feel it, you know?

      I am still pissed about that.

      @ Lor

      I would like to see (though I know it will never happen) more women of color. I do not want them joining the current group though. I would like to see them going against Vin Diesel's gang and winning. That would be better. At least to me anyway.

      Me too. And they need to be fully clothed and not bimbo-fied

      Delete
    6. @Ank

      Oh yes they would be fully clothed. I already know who I would want to see playing the characters also.

      Delete
  2. I would ask why they couldn't go the way of The superman franchise and forget that that pile of shit known as Tokyo Drift existed...but I already know the answer to that.

    Spoiler! the guy they replace him with after the credits is getting too damn old! can we just retire all of these White Power Fantasy actors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. They kill off the only Asian dude and then replace him with yet another white guy.

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting to see F&F .Just haven't had the time to do it.

    Anyways, add one more "Asian men get to kiss the girl but...." He has to to look/act goofy .Hot has to be put in a comedic position. Then there is one that I thought about that may catch people off guard and may be used against them: being married. I thought about that when I was looking at Hawaii 5-O and Daniel Date Kim's character got married. In the natural, it's nice to see people getting married. He got married to a pretty woman. It may sound good, but it's not. Why I said that? Think about this ..you see a good looking mad and women may compliment him and joke "That man should be my husband". Soon as they learn that the man is married, the world the women-...at least those with some morals...will be disappointed and move on.

    That is how some of his female fans may see Daniel's character. Now don't get me wrong, there are some movies/series that put characters in adulterous affairs, but the TV may see Daniel's character as being untouchable.. that it may take away from him being gawked.Even some stars have pretended not to be married in real life because their management tells them to say that they are could ruin their careers.Though this is fiction, I think that Daniels character being married is another way of keeping him and other Asian men from showing their sexiness more. The concept may sound broad and nuts, but do you see where I'm getting at when it comes to the "married" part?

    I do see where you're getting with wot he pattern part. I'm taking all of your word on this...over and over again.Again,I looked at the Big Bang show and looked Kunal Nayyars character. As good looking as he is, he should have dates, girlfriends or be a player or something.(love to see that guy in Black..lol).His friends can have all of the girlfriends or have serious relationships.Poor Kunal..everytime there is a girl something is always wrong with them. Even with his own women,he couldn't connect with them.

    You're right about White women/Asian men pairings on TV. Ironically, a survey was done about BB on who people thought was the hottest pairing on the show. When it came to Kunals character, he was either next to last or last (if memory served me right)... he just wasn't the first pick.Its not that TV execs like IR couples.. its about Asian men being seen as triple threats against their status quo. Just imagine if they did put good looking and/ or sexy men like Sung or Kunal in a sexy position what would happen? You brought up Rain and Naomi Harris. I guess they were scared to let them make out. That's OK we got the message. Still, the movie did well..something that the producers didn't expect to happen...at least with Black women's reaction to the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @M-You might already know, but they killed off DDK's wife. I've only watched episodes here and there when I remember its on. In one I watched he got married and in the next (well the next one I watched) she was already dead. So it leads back to Ank's pattern. I think that being married (movie/tv shows) could be sexy if it was written correctly though. Most cases its like the character gets married and disappears. Whenever I watched the show I wondered why you never see anything going on in the lives of Kim or Grace Park's character. You get to see a bit of her life with Ian, but that is it. The show focuses mainly on the two white characters.

      Delete
    2. So she dies, huh?

      Whattaya know.

      Delete
  4. Actually both DDK's wife and new girlfriend are played by halfAsian (ethnicity-wise) actresses... So, even his character only gets a 1/2 white girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon,

      I'll give them a year and producers will find a way to detach them. That's the Hollywood way.

      Delete
  5. *deep breath and sigh* Getting reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal tired of your bullshyt, H-Wood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lord,

    Awwww man!I absolutely didn't know that.. wow! They wouldn't even let DDK have a beautiful wife .What a pity.And the beats goes on.

    Anyways, I too think that married men in a movie if shown and acts that way and that his role of not being a boring husband. I'll use Bruce Lee and Jett Li as examples. Though most of the times they were playing stereotypical role ,the times where they we're in marriages, they still seemed sexy. With some Asian male actors..they aren't put in the sexy roles. Funny thing is that was the argument Jett Li had with Hollywood.. that they would never put him and other Asian men in romantic roles no matter much he wanted to be in one.You raised a good question about Grace and Kim. Its like they barely exist. I guess that is why TV /movies are become boring as time passes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have not yet seen this film so I can't really comment on that. The pattern however is very true. But my observations in real life (London) I see more asian men with white woman than anything else. It is more:

    6. He gets the girl, gets to kiss the girl, she's a woman of color...and it's implied that it's just a fling and nothing too serious.


    But I think things are definitely going to change gradually in Hollywood. GRADUALLY.

    I don't get why Hollywood thinks asian men are not sexy. I remember telling my Indian friend I like Chinese guys and she said the only "chinese" guy she found attractive was Han (Sung Kang) in fast and furious, whom is not really my type. So these things cannot be predicted!
    The only valid excuse I think, it's because white men want to be superior in EVERYTHING.

    SIDE NOTE: Although I like the idea of Gabrielle and John in Flash-forward, I always felt John was really awkward with her. So it did not seem believable, which made me sad, cause I thought Gabby was doing a very good job.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.