8.13.2013

Parade Talks "Twisted" with Avan Jogia

This was a really good interview, with all the right questions being asked, and with Jogia providing some excellent answers which have got me intrigued in the show all over again.  Peep the excerpt (Source):
Danny’s got a murderous past, but he’s affable and charming with a dark undertone. How did you pin that down?

Everyone has a defense mechanism, and that’s his. He starts talking and people sort of relax. The most telling moments about the character, I think, are the moments he’s by himself, because that’s when he’s not putting on a show. He’s not being influenced by someone else’s presence, so he’s being himself and you get to see how his mind works.

How much do you actually know about whether or not he’s guilty?

I don’t ask. I think it shifts from moment to moment. So the writers, I ask them to tell me backstory stuff, but they keep me in the dark about the future. I prefer that. It keeps everyone guessing.

You’ve said that the character has a propensity for violence, but we haven’t seen that much so far. Is that something we should expect?

He has a comfort with violence—I think coming from his time in juvie, he has to. We haven’t really displayed that too much. I don’t really try to play it, but I think of him as much more comfortable with violence than other people. I think we’ll explore that going further. We’ve been building this very likeable, downtrodden, underdog Danny—so that will be unexpected.

The love triangle is one of the most interesting elements of the show. But every time we think Danny and Lacey are getting comfortable, we’re back to square one.

Yeah, with Lacey, it’s one step forward, two steps back. He just can’t stop messing up. And it’s because he’s never fully honest with anyone. That’s going to continue. And that’s going to keep getting him in trouble. He really has trust issues.

Jo’s the underdog in the love triangle. Is there any hope for those rooting for Danny and Jo?

Everything’s always up in the air. Danny and Lacey are off-again, so there’s room there to explore, and it can go in either direction. Jo’s getting plenty of attention, too, from Rico and others. And Danny has to work harder with Lacey—she’s so much more conflicted about him. But there’s something simmering between them. There’s a passion. She doesn’t trust him, but she can’t stay away from him. She’s the one who kisses him first.

It’s also the bad boy mystique, probably.

Yeah, it’s the passion between them. Not that it can’t develop into something more substantial, but they can’t keep away from each other. He’s comforting, because he’s something from her past, but he’s also dangerous. It’s safe, but not safe.

...Danny’s character is half-Indian and half-white. Was he written as bi-racial?

No, they changed it after they brought me on. It’s an interesting thing—it’s not very common yet on TV, but I think that’s changing. It’s becoming less of this uncharted territory. It’s much less of a thing than it was even five years ago.

But the show is not about his race, which is refreshing.

That’s right. Because I did Aliens in America, and that was the central focus. It was the point of the show. But this is very much not that. It’s just displaying the very modern family. That’s just how families are in America now.
Some things:

1) Interviews like these are often crucial because we've reached a pointed where most of us don't know where the writers are going with this show and that's not always a good thing.  While recent episodes have been generous with the Danny/Lacey factor, they're not as engaging as earlier episodes.  The pilot in particular came out swinging.  It held my attention.  I've watched it dozens of times.  But every episode since has felt - to me - a little weaker and more watered down.

 2) Is anyone else here tired of hearing about the "passion" between Danny and Lacey?  It's becoming the default adjective for their romance, which I find limiting and simply incorrect.  The last three weeks have shown Lacey increasingly willing to trust, willing to give things up, and willing to stand by him - that's not mere "passion."  That's love, especially when you factor in eleven years of pre-juvie history.

3) If the writers decide to explore Danny/Jo, I will stop watching the show.

4) Danny's dark, Danny's manipulative, Danny's more comfortable with violence - don't keep telling us.  Show us.  Before, I would have been satisfied with maybe him poisoning someone here and ruining a life over there - in subtle ways - but now I'm gonna need to see him stab someone or shove them off a building to make up for the glaring lack of scary with this character.

5) I continue to respect actor Avan Jogia, and will go on having high hopes for his career.  He continues to surprise me with his depth and maturity, so much that I'm (mildly) willing to forgive all the flaws on Twisted, because I see it as just a preview of much greater things to come.

20 comments:

  1. I'm hoping when Avan mentions about Jo being explored for possible romances it will not be with him.I don't want another Black woman to be put in the back burner because of it. Iwould like for my moms prediction of a "Janny " union to be wrong (She loves Danny and Lacey, but like you but like all of us on here, knows Hollywoods history of doing Black women) .

    Yes, definitely is tired of them talking about the passion in Twisted. That is LOVE.Love is,patient,kind, compassionate.. this is what Lacey is enduring. Avans character isn't doing a booty call with her.That is why I like watching them because of their complicated love and their beautiful chemistry that I just can't picture with no one else on that show.

    Avan may be a young buck, but he s not a cheesy actor and he talks with a sense of maturity with this interview. I think that he will not be one of those child/young adult actors who will only be remembered for one show. His transition into other mature shows/movies will not be a struggle for him. I see him in other projects in the future .Who knows? It would be great for them to work together in another picture. I would like to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm OK with the word passion. I do not think it's a derivative word and for now accurately describes whats going on with them. If he'd used lust instead I would have had issues. I don't think its love yet because of the lack of trust with Danny.

    Kylie had a good interview too this week, but sort of dismaying in that she confirmed that Lacey only get focus through Jo's POV.

    So this Avan interview has made me feel a bit better about the show. I am just dying to know more about his time in juvvie. I'm sure we'll get an ep where one of his fellow ex-inmates shows up to blow his life apart. Maybe he'll have to push that dude off a building to protect his new life. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he'd used lust instead I would have had issues.

      He is referring to lust; Jogia is just being a gentleman about it. The key is to look at other words like "substantial", or in his past interview where he mentioned Jo as the one actually being close to Danny, while the thing between him and Lacey was something physical which carried over from their earlier years.

      I am just dying to know more about his time in juvvie.

      Yeah! When do we get the flashbacks from where he's flushing someone's head down a toilet or something?

      Delete
  3. Kylie had a good interview too this week

    Links or it didn't happen!

    but sort of dismaying in that she confirmed that Lacey only get focus through Jo's POV.

    I'm gonna need to start drinking when I watch this show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! Give me a drink ,too. Call me crazy, but the latest episode really confirmed more of Jo's focus. That really sucks!

      Delete
    2. Sorry! Here ya go. I don't know how to do links:

      http://www.screenspy.com/interviews/kylie-bunbury-on-twisted-relationships-laceys-choices-working-with-the-cast/

      Yeah. After last night, I may be done with this show. I'll watch the mid-season finale, but they really ruined everything in ep 10. They destroyed Lacey quite a bit with nonsensical character choices and PoorJo BS POV Mary Sue shit.

      Delete
    3. Is anyone else concerend that this show has set up a Madonna-whore dichotomy bewteen Jo and Lacey? Where Jo is the sweet, innocent, fragile, virginal white girl thats needs to be protected, loved and eventually married... while Lacey is the sexy, slutty, dark-skinned temptress that you just sleep around with? I really hope that Danny and Lacey have not had sex yet (the video needs to be just heavy making out) for this very reason.

      Delete
  4. I think I'll just have to pass on this show. I like the fact there is an interracial couple that doesn't involve the usual bw/wm. Especially with a young couple. If he turns out to be violent I would MUCH rather they put him with the white girl. I'm sorry but I'm sick and tired of black women being stuck with all the mental unstable men when depicted on tv. Now if it turns out he was framed and working to find the real culprit of his Aunt then great. If he is a killer she will look like a moron for giving up everything just to wait for him to get out of prison. I hope I'm wrong though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya'll, just don't watch episode 10. It is horrible. Just abandon ship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh, I just finished watching it. I'm going to try to hang in their and check out season 2.

      I also feel like the show has kind of dragged and been watered down with a lot of clues and innuendo that isn't really leading anywhere. At the beginning Twisted was giving me kind of a 'Heathers' vibe with the snarky black comedy.. but now ..sigh...


      3) If the writers decide to explore Danny/Jo, I will stop watching the show.
      But if this happens I'm out too.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I'm both dreading and anticipating your recap for it...I could feel my heart sinking in my chest over the course of the episode, and it's like the writers decided to completely screw over the remains of Lacey's character development in favor of Jo's white tears. I hoped for more out of this show, but came in preparing myself for the worst. Here it is, finally (and the promo for ep 11 looks worse).

      Delete
    2. *nods knowingly*

      @A - The promo is ridiculous from Lacey's hysteria in front of the popular kids to the Danny and Lacey relationship being reduced to a one night stand.

      Twisted Promo 1x11 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s7W4jn-dOo

      Delete
  7. I can't help but wonder if Avan feels that way about Danny's relationship with Lacey and Jo or if abcfamily are instructing him to answer questions in this vague manner to fuel this triangle nonsense. If he had said that Danny doesn't see Jo that way and he thinks Danny loves Lacey then it would calm some people down I think. Because I don't know ANYONE (other than the interviewer) who thinks that the "love triangle" is interesting. In the pilot it was already shown that Jo didn't like Danny that way, now ep. 10 they have her declaring her dying love to everyone.

    Ep. 9-10 make no sense at all. It's like the people who wrote those episodes didn't watch the first 8. I'm pretty disgusted with the last two episodes and the preview.....I just can't. It's like abcf invited me to dinner, sat a plate with a T-bone steak with steamed veggies and a baked potato with sour cream and bacon bits, in front of me and then offered me a jack daniels and coke to go with it. Just as I was about to dig in and enjoy.....they snatched it away and replaced it with a jar of mayonnaise with a spoon and a glass of water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help but wonder if Avan feels that way about Danny's relationship with Lacey and Jo or if abcfamily are instructing him to answer questions in this vague manner to fuel this triangle nonsense.

      1) I'm glad you brought this up because a commenter on another site said that the timing of this interview - plus Kylie's - was awfully convenient. It came after the announcement of the writers being replaced but before this God-awful episode.

      2) Another website refers to the relationships on the show as "failing trigonometry" rather than a love triangle - and aptly so.

      Ep. 9-10 make no sense at all. It's like the people who wrote those episodes didn't watch the first 8.

      Thank you. I feel as though the writers have already been replaced, hence the absolute mismatch. The first five in particular had me glued to my computer, trying to figure Danny out. The episodes after that had me pausing occasionally to remind myself that this show's supposed to be about him.

      It's like abcf invited me to dinner, sat a plate with a T-bone steak with steamed veggies and a baked potato with sour cream and bacon bits, in front of me and then offered me a jack daniels and coke to go with it. Just as I was about to dig in and enjoy.....they snatched it away and replaced it with a jar of mayonnaise with a spoon and a glass of water.

      Well...damn. When you put it like that....

      Delete
    2. LOL, maybe that description was a bit much but I'm not going to lie I felt betrayed after watching episode 10 and I was livid when I saw the sneak peek. Beg for Jo's forgiveness? Pfft, I don't know who wrote that scene but someone needs to lose their job.

      I really wanted Danny to be a sociopath, now I don't know what they're doing. I'm not sure I want to find out to be honest. I'm willing to stick around for the final and the first couple of eps in January. I want to try and support Avan and Kylie. I wasn't familiar with either of them before this show and i like what I see. I think both have talent and deserve something that will show it.

      If this show continues to crap on their characters I will stop watching and wait for it to get cancelled. Because they deserve better.

      Side note-I've been reading different theories that say the reason the show keeps trying to push this #poorjo garbage is to hide the fact that JO, not Danny, is a sociopath. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I want dark Danny, plus I don't trust the writers to pull off something like that. They're pretty bad. Do you think something like that is a possibility?

      Delete
    3. The old writers already have,but I'm not trusting the new ones either. I wouldn't be surprised if they work hard to push Lacey out and start a romance with Danny ( the thought of that is depressing. She doesn't look romantic,not even a high school romantic. Someone a blog brought up a point about her dress appeal. Why do she dress like a 5 year old? I'm not trying to be funny but ,really?).

      ABC is supposed to get 10 more installments of Twisted,but the show haven't been renewed in the traditional sense. I don't know. Like one of the posters said , they must have really underestimated the number of Black viewers that watch the show.Then again. when they featured AMBW couple..and two good looking POC's with very chemistry on it, they should have known better. Well, they better correct the flaws on the show because if the show is done the way episode 10 was, they can kiss Twisted good bye. Hopefully from there well see Kylie and Avan being real on somebody else's series/movies.

      Delete
    4. "Well, they better correct the flaws on the show because if the show is done the way episode 10 was, they can kiss Twisted good bye. Hopefully from there well see Kylie and Avan being real on somebody else's series/movies."


      That's one of the things that's making me sad. One of the pulls to this show (to me anyway) was Danny and Lacey separate AND together. I'm willing to give any show that they' re in a chance but at same time I love seeing them together. The chemistry between those two I haven't seen since Livin Single with Kyle and Max or A Different World with Whitley and Dwayne or Ron and Freddy in the last season. I've read of them being compared to character's in Scandal but I don't watch it so I don't know about that.

      I can't help but think that the show runner, who's name escapes me at the moment, knew that Danny and Lacey would go over well with a lot of people. After all he choose Avan and Kylie to play these characters, I'm assuming, they had to audition with each other and they changed the race of Danny to fit Avan. I think They knew what they had. ABCF on the other hand feels/felt differently.

      I think certain people were feeling uncomfortable with Danny choosing Lacey over Jo and the show being to much on Danny who's race was changed from white to mixed.

      Delete
    5. Side note-I've been reading different theories that say the reason the show keeps trying to push this #poorjo garbage is to hide the fact that JO, not Danny, is a sociopath.

      This is a pacification rumor which will not fly.

      If Jo really was a sociopath, then she'd be the charming one, not the fashion-deficient social outcast .

      Delete
  8. Update: It's so ironic that this interview and comments were written over a year ago. You guys not only predicted the demise of Twisted, but also Avan and Kylie prevailing to work together again on another project. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.