3.08.2014

That Didn't Take Long

Well, it’s already begun. The first official trailer for the Annie remake (starring Quvenzhané Wallis  and Jamie Foxx) has been released and the Racist Brigade is already out in full force. Some of the stuff I’ve seen makes the fanboy tantrum over Michael B. Jordan being cast as Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four reboot look like child’s play in comparison.

None of the hateful comments are anything I haven’t seen before, but I’ll admit they’re getting quite creative with their blatant racism. Of course, that old standby “I’m not trying to be racist, but” makes the expected appearance, so maybe I’m giving them too much credit.

And wait…aren’t these the same group of people who laud the concept of colorblind casting when Jennifer Lawrence was cast as Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games or three white actors were cast as Aang, Katara and Sokka in The Last Airbender? The answer would be a big, fat yes, but it’s obviously only a good thing when it goes one way. And that way would happen to be their way.  Of course.

The folks over on Tumblr just love to expose this BS:


Sigh.

Listen, I’m not the biggest fan of musicals, but after watching the trailer I’ll be there on opening weekend, sitting in the front row with a tub of popcorn in one hand and a box of Junior Mints in the other.  I'll be singing along (badly) as the cast performs those iconic Annie songs, embarrassing myself and not giving a damn.  The production quality looks great, you can rarely go wrong with Jamie Foxx, and Quvenzhané Wallis is adorable and looks set to steal every single scene she’s in.

Hell, at this point even if I didn’t want to see this movie, I’d buy a ticket and hang it on my wall as a tribute just to be spiteful, frame and all.

And for the love of all that’s holy, can people please, please, please stop saying that racism is over? Because clearly, it’s not.



*Crossposted on The Black Girls Club
photo source: Shadow and Act

9 comments:

  1. Aww do these people think their feelings matter? Um.. nah the movies already been made. Honestly I do not care for those that have to point out how "original" a characters color should be. Annie isn't even real and haven't a couple of annies been blonde? Don't worry racists many more movies will be made starring black casts. Up next is Breakfast at Tiffanys starring Kerry Washington and Jean Gray played by Lupita Nyongo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to see this. I don't care about the ignorant masses. Let them eat cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Annie or Ann is a white name"...
    All I will say is I can't wait until I get a copy with korean subs...my students will be watching this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "And wait…aren’t these the same group of people who laud the concept of colorblind casting when Jennifer Lawrence was cast as Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games or three white actors were cast as Aang, Katara and Sokka in The Last Airbender? The answer would be a big, fat yes, but it’s obviously only a good thing when it goes one way. And that way would happen to be their way. Of course."

    Of course. And of course, these are the same people who, as one of the YT comments touched on, don't mind every person in every Bible movie being a white as well. "O ye hypocrites" indeed - that's surely a statement applicable on many levels.

    This was an interesting trailer though. I may check it out. And personally, I'd love it if they re-did "The Little Princess" as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Annie or Ann is a white name".

    I guess no one told Anna Mae Bullock aka Tina Turner that! Or Anne Marie Johnson, Or the numerous other black women I know named Annie, Ann, or Anne!

    He would probably freak if he knew about all the Latino women I have met named Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diaz "You think you're better than me."
    Fox "I am better than you." *Wipes car window.

    Yeah, I'm pretty much sold. Adorable kids. Decent singing. A+ actors/actresses. Staying true to the form of the original Annie with humor and meaning is alright by me. I decided that this year I'm ignoring foolishness so that is all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The racist reaction is pretty predictable. I'm thinking that all the movies with iconic white characters should now be rebooted with black actors playing the roles, just to stick it to the white racists and give them a taste of what POCs have had to put up with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enough said...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSwhRZwFjfY

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.