3.27.2014

The Blasian Narrative

Yes, I know things have been slow and quiet for a while now, and we apologize for all the silence.  But sometimes, when we're silent, we notice some things.

Some of you will notice The Mission Statement is back up.  I didn't think we would ever need to see it back up there, but apparently we do.  A fellow blogger recently talked with me about his past attempt our to join our AMBW blog as a Narrator, and his dismay at being rejected because he's neither an AM nor a BW.

Now, I know why some of you are raising your eyebrows as to why we're even having this conversation; after all, this has always been an AMBW-centric blog and as far as we were concerned, everybody here knew that.

Or so we thought.

Because our name is the Blasian Narrative, the reader in question thought this was an all-comer blog.  And we do apologize for that bit of confusion.  Mind you, there will come a day when our requirements for Narrators will expand and encompass more than AMBW.  But for that day to come, it's important for people to first realize that Blasians are not a monolith.

There was a time when "Blasian" specifically referred to a person of Afro-Asiatic descent.  There was a time when Blasian was spelled "BlAsian", and before that term came into use, it was strictly Black/Asian (or "Blackinese" if the speaker thought they were being funny).  Now "Blasian" refers a culture, a shared history, a way of thinking, a style of cuisine, a genre of literature, and last but not least, an ever-growing, vastly diverse community made up of yet smaller communities.  In short, for some of us, "Blasian" is a way of life.

I know, I know, I know...you guys already know this stuff.  But now that folks on the outside are suddenly growing increasingly interested in what we do and how we think (and whom we find attractive), do you guys ever wonder how our communities appear to folks who are not regulars in the Blasian world?

Seriously, y'all; it's got me thinking.  When I first started this Narrative, I just wanted to give a platform, a voice to a group of people who were pretty much ignored by, like, everybody.  Some of you remember back when you would simply mention the AMBW combination and people would A) roll their eyes as though it were the most ludicrous notion in the world, or B) look really confused as though as though you were speaking Martian.

Now Google "AMBW."  Do it. I dare you. I double-dare you.
[This year] I was introduced to the Blasian world. I didn’t realize how extensive it was, and how loud the clamor is for quality Blasian fiction. I’ve always acknowledged the attractiveness of Asian men, but that was it. I never thought about including them in my novels because hey, they weren’t in my world. But understanding the theoretical perspective and the methodology behind the Blasian movement has enlightened me. My senses are wide open, and now I look at Asian men for more than just their looks. I look at them for who they are and what they represent. I see them as being marginalized by white America just like us. I see them as descendants of powerful, rich and beautiful Eastern cultures, ones I would like to study.

Why? Because I want to know them. I want to have a new perspective in my writing. I want to reach a broader audience. I refuse to have my work potentially pigeon-holed just because I’m a black woman who just happens to have grown up in ‘da hood.’ Nothing I write is anything close to the bullshit of ‘hood lit,’ because even though I grew up in the hood, the hood didn’t grow up in me. I’ve always been a visionary and my vision has grown (quickly) to include Blasian methods. Ankh is surprised and pleased at my rapid conversion. So am I. It was like a punch in the face.

So, like any true author, I’m studying now. I’m learning as much as I can about the Blasian culture because I intend to write about it. I’m absorbing as much as I can to expand my perspective, because this culture, too, will be something I know, and thus, can write about.
Narrator Amaya Radjani wrote these words four years ago on right here on the Blasian Narrative. Never did I realize just how prophetic they were.  She now lives in Shanghai and is learning Mandarin, by the way.

Some of us are drawn into the Blasian world for romantic reasons, some for academic and creative reasons, some for cultural reasons, and for some of us, it's what we've known since we were children.  We're drawn to (or are born into) this Blasian world for different reasons, and as we gain more visibility and traction, it will be increasingly important that we stress to the noobs and the outsiders how we are not a monolith, that we are far more complex than we seem, and there is a protocol to how we relate to one another.

Case in point: we may all be POC, and we may all even be Blasians, but this is an AMBW house.  Ergo, all non-AMBW folks are expected to take off their shoes before entering said house and respect house rules.

6 comments:

  1. I was waiting for you guys to do a post on the new Michelle Lee video. Have you guys seen it? I honestly thought there would be a post about it the day it went up. It's pretty groundbreaking in the Blasian scene in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen it and it's been posted to our Facebook. In the absence of CosmicYoruba (*sniff*) I suggested Silver Tiger do a post, but we'll see which Narrator wants to say something.

      Delete
    2. Very blunt and very powerful video, the message is loud and clear and it's overall beautiful.

      Delete
  2. you know about four years ago, I came on this site by accident. (I was looking up soemthing for my then novel) So I stumbled on the Denny Upkins post. Prior to that was a typical weebo (yes I said it) now after reading and examining the blog, it really gave me a full understanding of something that not my own. Although I would love to write something on this blog, It's better to sit back and read what people have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just read your mission page, and I think it's fantastic. Very blunt and straight to the point. Very honest. It is so true that we are used to being marginalized and that nobody has our back. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.