5.18.2014

One Last Cry...

Korea: The Brian McKnight Factor

Indeed, I was crying (laughing) when I came to find out that Brian McKnight touring Korea in May. In the city where I live --Daegu-- Brian McKnight performed at the Hyundai Department store on May 5. Yes, the department store, which is very nice, but huh? A few months back, January I believe, I was on the train to Seoul for vacation when I looked to the passenger to my right. A Korean guy, maybe 23, was playing Brian McKnight videos on his tablet the whole 2 hoour ride. I was like ok, weird, but ok. But then after hearing Brian McKnight was doing a Korean tour, I had to investigate and this is what I have discovered: Korean guys LOVE Brian Mcknigt. They love to do covers of his songs and they sing them pretty well. Below is a Brian McKnight cover done by a Korean young man, which is actually pretty good. There are a host of them on Youtube. And there the popular KPop group "Boyfriend" posing with him after his concert in Seoul. I mean Brian McKnight is a great singer, but c'mon son...KOREA! Its so random. And this is not his frst Korean tour!


7 comments:

  1. People got to eat. Korea tends to like our obscure artist that are not headlining like they once did in the U.S. Eric Benét is another one, along with Teddy Riley who produces songs for Kpop groups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually let me make a correction: Our obscure black male artists they tend to like, you don't see the black women singers you rarely hear much of anymore touring in Korea unless they are Alicia Keys or Beyonce. Correct me if I'm wrong.

      Delete
  2. ST: n the city where I live --Daegu-- Brian McKnight performed at the Hyundai Department store on May 5. Yes, the department store

    Meanie: People got to eat.

    Me: *dead*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get that many Black American artists go overseas to make bread. I so understand...its been happening forever...Josephine Baker was huge in France and miniscule in the states in her day. And you're right Meanie Black female artists are not as popular in Asia other than the status quo...but Brian McKnight though...he's not young...he doesn't dance...and he does r and b slow jams...from the 90s. Maybe I'm in the wrong...I just don't get it. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many Koreans (young and old) love ballads from veterans with powerful voices. R&B influenced Kpop, especially old school kpop. Even now you have plenty of Korean male groups who do R&B/pop ballads (2Bic, Brown Eyes, etc). And I'm sure there are many Koreans who don't really like upbeat kpop and prefer other stuff.

      Delete
  4. I have a Korean guy friend who was positively influenced by a black person when he was younger and that person introduced him to black music and he's been in love ever since lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its surprising,but not that random at all,at least for me...A while back I was seeing the korean reality WGM (the 1st season) and there was a korean R&B singer named Hwanhee,and he said on an interview that Brian Mcknight produce a CD for him...and the female korean R&B singer(Hwayobi) that was his *wife* on the show did a cover of Keyshia Cole's "Love " song on a radio station there (its so good,she almost did it better that KC)(its on YT)...so I guess they love R&B!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.