6.17.2014

"Asian" Republican Coalition

Ankh forwarded this email to me from Jules:

"We want to be Asian-Americans too!" - only white people would ever think up stuff like this....

http://www.vice.com/read/republicans-try-to-win-back-asian-americans-if-white-bankers-in-hong-kong-count
“We have a very broad definition of what constitutes the Asian American community," says Britt, who is white. "The Asian Republican Coalition is open to all Americans, including Asian Americans and those of us like me who are not ethnically Asian but have spent twenty years living in Hong Kong.”

"... ARC seeks to expand the definition of Asian American to include those who might be married to an Asian or doing business in Asian markets. “We want to broaden the footprint beyond bloodlines,” Ying said."
Here are my thoughts:

Now I know what Black people think whenever they see Justin Bieber, or any other suburban white kid who wants to be Black. Black, of course, defined as "thuggy gangster rappers." Why the hell have I never seen a white kid who wants to be Black and then proceeds to model himself after Nelson Mandela, Malcolm X, or James Baldwin?

This also reminds me of how whites love to claim they are (insert small fraction here) Native American; notable examples include Johnny Depp, Miley Cyrus, or any white person who loves having "Redskins" as a name for a football team. Depp did it to justify his role as Squanto in that one Disney movie that did horribly. Cyrus...well, I have no idea why she did it so let's just go with salvia-induced insanity. Lastly, Redskins fans do it because they think appropriating the Indigenous identity insulates them from criticism. Despite having lived lives of white privilege, despite never having stepped foot on a reservation (and probably not even knowing what a reservation is), and despite never having identified themselves as Native American before, they do so now to defend a racist name. I've said this before, and I'll probably have to say this again: They may be genetically 1/64th Native American, but sociologically and psychologically, they are white.

As for the "Asian" Republican Coalition, it's one thing for whites to appropriate a PoC identity while indulging in white privilege (privilege that comes at the expense of PoC); it is quite another for whites to appropriate a PoC identity precisely because they have indulged in white privilege. Look at their criteria: "those who might be married to an Asian or doing business in Asian markets." So basically white men who are married to Asian women, expatriate managers, or rich old boys who may or may not own sweatshops. The ridiculousness of their criteria can be summarized with the following revelation: If any of these white men claiming to be Asian were actually Asian men, and therefore subject to the discrimination and mistreatment Asian men typically experience, the odds of them actually meeting any of their criteria would be significantly lower.

It's the first part of the criteria that really sets me off: "married to an Asian." It's bad enough you got white men claiming they are the epitome of anti-racism because they are married to, dating, or fucking Asian women. Now you got white men claiming that makes them Asian. Only a white person would come to the conclusion that indulging in white privilege makes them a Person of Color.

If the "Asian" Republican Coalition is actually serious, I've got the perfect candidate for you. Meet Arthur Benjamin, child molester and pimp, or as Republicans would say "a job creator doing business in Asian markets."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5dasAkymXc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhj5nTtVRro

13 comments:

  1. The Secret NinjaJune 17, 2014 at 8:30 PM

    wow...just when i think i've heard and seen it all, white people go and do something like this. words can not even express the anger and irritation i feel over the audacity...i just can't. thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This also reminds me of how whites love to claim they are (insert small fraction here) Native American; notable examples include Johnny Depp, Miley Cyrus, or any white person who loves having "Redskins" as a name for a football team. Depp did it to justify his role as Squanto in that one Disney movie that did horribly.

    And Tonto in The Lone Ranger, which flopped the way a movie so rarely does. He also claimed he had Romani blood when he was in Chocolat.

    And last year, he allegedly uncovered his Negro roots, which have some of us bracing for impact as to what that means for his films in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The Life of Frederick Douglass", starring Johnny Depp. Coming soon.

      I mean, if they could get a woman with light skin and bouncy curls to play Harriet Tubman, of all people, what's stopping them from pulling that off?

      Delete
  3. When I got this link from Jules, I had to take a moment to get right with God, I was so irritated. I live in China, as you well know, and I see these hard-working people at the whim of white folks who run the corporations they work for (making shit on the yuan)...and now they want to steal their identity???

    It's just like when that idiot wanted to redefine the word "discovery" to give Columbus credit for "discovering" America. I just can't handle any more of this fuckshit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Desperate arent they? (The GOP)People want to be POCs when its conveient.They think everybody is dumb except themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A coworker noted how it doesn't work in reverse. The Asians who go along with this nonsense will not be deemed "white".

      Delete
    2. The sad t thing is they won't realize it until its too late!

      Delete
    3. Yep. So true. POCs aren't called "minorities" for nothing. It should be commonsense of why we have this title. Major is underneath minor. If you're classified as a minority, then you're not White and is at risk to be subjected to racism like the minority. Sure, you may be tolerated to be used but not to be liked. Seen this mistake happen too many times . Definitely, I would be highly suspicious of the ARC, especially when there were no Asians who founded the group and or in that group....not that I like the GOP, but its highly suspect.

      Delete
    4. especially when there were no Asians who founded the group and or in that group..

      THAT should be a DEAD giveaway! I'm sure though they will have plenty for picture taking to prove that they know some Asians.

      Delete
  5. This is beyond outrageous, some people are just sick.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really don't understand how people can be so obtuse. How are you going to found a group supposedly to reach out to a particular demographic, yet stock it full of people with limited ties to said demographic (at best)? And they wonder why everyone else is either side-eyeing them or laughing at them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GAWD, I'm confused, all I know is that if I live in any Asian country for more than five or even three years, I don't want to be told I'm a foreigner. This goes for any race that goes there. It isn't fair. There are shops in Asia that say, "Please, no foreigners." If I ever go to Asian and live there for a good amount of time, I'm going to go into one of those shops, slam my money down, and order me a darn burger. I'm going to yell until I get my burger and scream and cry. I'm gonna make a fool out of myself, cuz' that's what I do best. But that whole marriage thing and the stock market thing is ridiculous. I'm gonna marry me a white man and call myself white. I know I'm going to get a lot of flack from both white and black communities. But I don't like how you limit thoughts people have to one race. That's bad and not a good mentality, for anything. And...If I could up my career by calling myself something, I'm not then.... to heck with it! The only bad thing about it is that it is another excuse for Caucasian movie makers to hire white people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. just when I think they couldn't get anymore ridiculous

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.