6.21.2014

"Daos" Character Profiles

 
As you know, Middle Child Press is the owner and sister-blog of the Blasian Narrative.  Co-founded and co-run by me and Amaya Radjani, we've tried to bring our own flair and our own flavor to the online literary world.

For quite a while now, Amaya and I have presented a Free Fiction Series.  To reward loyal fans and readers who've donated to our press or bought our books and overall supported our blogs, we create original stories - not fanfiction - which they can enjoy instantly, online, at no charge (no plagiarizing, please).  Not only has this been enjoyable for readers, it's been exceedingly inspirational and motivating for us as writers.  The main reason is that this particular form of storytelling is interactive; comments made on Chapter One tend to influence Chapter Two.

Daos is one of our most recent installments.  After watching the Philippine drama Amaya (yes, yes, I know), I was immediately inspired by actors Mikael Daez ("Lumad") and Aljur Abrenica
 ("Dayaw").  On my Dark & Twisty blog, after viewing some amazing pictures of Daez in particular, commenters jokingly suggested I should a write a story about a detective who investigates the paranormal and goes undercover as a stripper.

So I did (see Volume One).  The chapter "Strip, Tease" in particular was a hit...for obvious reasons.  In that chapter, Detectives Daos (Daez) and Ona (Abrenica) pose as strippers.  Daos dances to "Honey, I Know" by Se7en, and Ona dances to "We Be Burnin'" by Sean Paul.  But what's hilarious is that later, while looking for footage with which to create the opening credits for Volume Three, I stumbled across YouTube videos which showed that Daez and Abrenica seem more than comfortable getting shirtless and sweaty in real life, prompting me to create videos to go with my fictional 'verse.



Dominador Ona was easier to profile in this manner; actor Aljur Abrenica apparently loves to give a good show, making him a perfect fit for a Sean Paul track.  It's also fits the Ona persona; he's a young, lively trash-talker with a sense of adventure.

Nicolao Daos, however, was a bit more complicated.  The track used in the chapter didn't go well with his footage at all.  Daos is a mysterious man who doesn't share much about himself with anyone; being reserved has been a life-saver for him.  I went through just about every genre in my music library save New Age before settling on a rock track by Vertical Horizon.



But it doesn't end there.  I've been having a lot of fun writing Daos; the characters are hilarious and their adventures are totally weird.  I just wrapped up Volume Two and am preparing to begin Volume Three.  If you're not reading Daos, you're missing out, 'cause we are having sooooo much fun.

2 comments:

  1. **Update**

    The "Strip, Tease" link was going to the wrong place. I've since corrected it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...you are indeed missing out. Come on over with us and enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.