6.15.2014

Over coffee

Previously

"I don't see Jesus in you"
I knew he was married.  Called it.
*rubs temples*
Where there's a Will, there's a Whoa

As I was recently explaining to Jules and Ballisto, Houston is what I've dubbed the City of Brown Love.  I spend my days surrounded predominantly by Africans, African-Americans, Asians, Asian-Americans, and Latinos of all types.  And we are all...so...chill.

Some of you remember my nail salon adventures (see linked above).  That was two years ago, back when I'd been going to that salon for a year.  I'm still going now; I've been going three years total now and watched it changed so much.  All but one of my favorite people are gone now, and that's the gorgeous, flawless owner himself, the one who's not interested in women (some of you should remember him).  We'll call him Jay for this post.

Jay and I bonded bit by bit over the years; he's just so used to seeing me fairly routinely.  In addition to still using me as a model whenever a potential customer is skeptical about getting something done ("Look what I did for her"), he also consults me whenever he needs to order something out a catalog for the store (to get the pronunciation right).  He also makes me his accomplice; when he wants to know what other salons in the area are charging for various services, he'll have me call and pose as a potential customer, asking about prices (turns out the ladies in the shopping center across the street charge, like, double what Jay's place does.  I'm talking $30 manicures...meanwhile Jay's place does a mani-pedi combo for $20).

Today, after years of random chatting, Jay and I seriously bonded over something I really didn't expect: coffee.

Turns out, we're both big coffee drinkers.  I had some iced coffee with me, and he asked about it, thinking it was storebought.
Moi:  Oh, no.  I make this.

Jay: (amused)  You made that?  You cook?

Moi: Mm-hm.  (he gives me a surprised look).  I make it like they do in Thailand (recipe to follow), using the cardamom spice in the coffee, and the sweet milk.

Jay:  (literally pausing in mid-file) The thick one? (yes, folks; we're talking about condensed milk)

Moi: Mm-hm.

Jay: (beaming) Like the one my people use?

Moi: (gleefully applauding) Uh-huh!

Jay: Oh, so you don't go to Starbucks, then?

Moi:  (shaking head) Mm-mm, no sir!
And thus opened the floodgates; we started talking about recipes, bitching about Starbucks' ludicrous prices, and how if you give them up for just 1-2 years you save a shit ton of money.  And as I'm leaving, Jay shares a pack of this with me (he keeps the salon stocked):



It's instant coffee; it's his favorite.  Since the directions are in Vietnamese, he gave me a quick rundown on how to make it both hot and iced.  He also pointed out towards Bellaire, telling me where I could find it in the Vietnamese (and other Asian) supermarkets.  He even offered to drop everything right then and make me a cup, but I'd been noticing the slow accumulation of potentially bitchy customers and didn't want some loudmouth yelling at him for making them wait.  I took the pack and promised to try it and let him know how it tasted next time we met.

And now....

Thai Iced Coffee Recipe
Cardamom spice

3 tablespoons condensed milk

1/4 cup cane sugar (really is the best way to go for this recipe)

1 cup heavy whipping cream (you can also do regular milk, coconut milk, or half-n-half, but whipping cream is so awesome for this)

4 cups hot coffee brewed very, very dark
I recommend brewing the coffee with a few sprinkles of cardamom (you'll have to learn how much you want; it's an intense spice), and then mixing in the sugar so it dissolves while the coffee is still hot.  After that, pour into a container before adding the condensed milk and whipping cream; mix thoroughly, taste, then chill for a few hours.  It's the most addictive thing in the world.

I first had this when I went to a Thai restaurant I shall not name.  It was suggested by my East Indian-American friend C.  She and I went with two other female companions, and the reason I'm not naming the restaurant is that it was having a serious roach problem that night.  One actually skittered across our table, so we wound up with all our checks being comped.

*sigh*  I love Houston.

8 comments:

  1. *stomps foot like a spoiled child* YOU AIN'T SHIT FOR GIVING ME SOMETHING ELSE WITH MORE UNNECESSARY CALORIES!

    and the reason I'm not naming the restaurant is that it was having a serious roach problem that night. One skittered across our table...

    BITCH, WHAT??????

    Oh yeah, and it appears that you've made a friend in Jay. Damn shame he doesn't like women. At least he's great to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU AIN'T SHIT FOR GIVING ME SOMETHING ELSE WITH MORE UNNECESSARY CALORIES!

      True, but they are the most addictive unnecessary calories you will ever taste. Doesn't that count for something?

      Delete
    2. Lol..! I'm not even a coffee drinker yet for some reason, the way people describe coffee make me want to go to Starbucks.

      Just imagine if Jay were into women. It probably wouldn't take long for you guys to hook up.Its even better that you both are good friends .That's something that I would never want to lose.

      I don't know what's up with the roaches these days. You don't have to be a nasty person to have those critters coming to you.A couple of years ago, my neighbor used an exterminator to in an attempt to get rid of her roaches (she is a clean freak). The exterminator told her that possiblythe climate, someone else near by(I assure that they didn't come from my house) with roaches could have traveled to her home or people just leaving crumbs around can cause them to come. Several months ago,there was a news report about roaches and other internal bugs and how they ate becoming harder to kill,no matter how clean or dirty a place is.

      Delete
    3. Several months ago,there was a news report about roaches and other internal bugs and how they ate becoming harder to kill,no matter how clean or dirty a place is.

      I CANNOT!!!!!!

      Delete
    4. I believe it, which is why once I'm pretty sure chemicals aren't working (which I don't like anyway), I'm just going to get a couple of feline roommates and let nature run its course. 'Cause Lord knows there's nothing like a hyperactive young cat to solve an insect problem.

      Delete
  2. The Secret NinjaJune 16, 2014 at 7:29 PM

    i just wanted to take the time out to say two things:
    1.) i love this blog and i'm so glad i've found it, you're a real Word Smith.
    2.) the comment above made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Y'all realize I had to come back to this page just to remember my own Thai iced coffee recipe?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.