6.29.2014

PLUS or MINUS: Korea Launching First Plus Size Magazine.

"To all the girls that think you're fat because you're not a size zero, you're the beautiful one, its society who's ugly." ~ Marilyn Monroe


Korea is launching a new magazing geared to its plus-sized readers called 66100 (yes there is meaning behind this name). The title refers to Korean clothing sizes that are considered "undesirable" according to the creator of the magazine. Size 66 is an XL in women's size and 100 is XL for men...but wait is this a women's magazine or a men's magazine...unisex? Huh? Anyway the founder of the magazine is a 28 year old who understands the plight of Korean women and the extreme difficulties of finding clothes that fit. She is a size 88...way over the "undesirable" size. She is Kim Ji-yang and is 5'5 and 154 pounds...which is XXL in Korea.


I am a girl who wears mediums in America, but I can't find a darn thing to get over my hips here in Korea. I was just talking with my co-worker the other day. She commented that my dress was very nice, but then I showed her how big it had gotten since I had been in Korea...the dress is a size 10...I am now a size 6 (thanks Korean diet program). She told me to buy new clothes...I told her I tried but I can't get any othe skirts, jeans, and sometimes dresses to fit over my hips. She said "Yeah, Korean women usually have smaller waist and hips". That may be true, but since I have been going to the gym these past couple of months, I have noticed that the larger, more endowed Korean woman does exist. She's just "undesirable" according to Korean beauty standards. I see my female students...about 65% of them are not skinny AT ALL. Sometimes in the women's lounge, teachers refer to this or that student as the fat one. They were also discussing how this year many of the first year female students (7th grade) are really fat. To me they look normal...they're not fat, they're kids. Of course they could eat better and exercise more, but referring to them as "the fat ones" is just wrong.


Of course the news of this magazine has hit Facebook and the comments are mostly wonderful, prasing Kim Ji-Yang. There are some who say "Fat? She's not Fat!" and "She's not fat, she's beautiful" as if you can't be both. This was said by many: "If she's fat, then what are we?" In the African, African-American, Black diaspora...thick is in! But not fat!

I say kudos Kim Ji-yang for taking a step in the right direction for Korean views on body image. I'm going to ask my 9th grade girls what they think about this and let you all know their responses. In the meantime what do you all think?

Until next time Good People

11 comments:

  1. I think it's a great thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's long past time. This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww man..South Korea is really getting on a roll aren't they?

    That is an excellent idea. As a full figured woman,it could have been a problem for women like me to find something in my size. I'm able to go to places like Ashley Stewart's,Cato's or Torrid's to get my stuff in the states,but in many countries could be a potential problem . I'm happy that Korea has thought outside of the box. Not every expat or Native Korean is small. This is the problem with many countries, they seem to think that the world is skinny when they're not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a plus-size diva living in China...I have to have all of my clothing made. I am glad to hear that this young woman is stepping up to let other young women know that they are beautiful regardless of their size.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Off topic but have you heard about this?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG2ALvJ4Pbs

    And I thought the "war on drugs" was bad in the states.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great to see a S.Korean woman finally stepping up and showing other S. Korean women that whatever their size they all are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To be honest, these are the sexiest Korean women I've ever seen.

    In my humble opinion, that is

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea and those women look absolutely fierce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. They've got Thick Woman Swag.

      Delete
  9. I can't complain too much as I'm a size 6, but I bought size L shorts in Taiwan and they barely fit lol. I've completely given up trying to buy pants or shorts since they seem to be made for women with very little shape.

    I think KJY looks great; to call her fat is...crazy. This reminds me of the brand PUNYUS in Japan: http://universal-doll.com/2014/03/beyond-onesize-naomi-yatanabes-punyus-wego/

    I hope the trend spreads throughout Asia so I can buy more good quality cute clothes :P

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.