10.15.2014

The Skin I'm In: Korean Beauty Products

The Blasian Narrative received a letter from Paige, a Blasian Narrative reader, who uses Korean skin care products. If you or anyone you know has ever been to Korea, you have noticed that there are an abundance of stores that sell make-up and skin care products. You'll also notice that they are always next to each other.
Some will argue, right-fully so, that Koreans -men and women alike- are obssessed with outer beauty. Whether you think this is a good or bad thing, I would like to say that their products are spreading across the globe and proving to be effective for many people struggling to have "clear, flawless" skin.

Paige has been using a host of products from Korea's most popular stores: Skinfood, Innisfree, and Nature Republic. She has used cleansers, scrubs, masks, and oils, all that she has really grown to love and now has become an avid user of. However, because she lives in the states her access to the products that she likes are not readily available so she has been ordering online or getting them from really good friends...and just like buying from the stores in Korea....she has received several samples to try. She raised an interesting question to the narrative: Do Asians (Koreans in particular) have similar skin needs as black people?

I would say when it comes to the oiliness that many black people including myself have yes our skin is very similar. Koreans, from what I see, have a lot of acne issues and the many stores and skin doctors are a result of trying to get rid of those issues. Before coming to Korea, I did not have significant acne problem, but I did have extremely oily skin. It was so bad that I rarely wore loion on my face in attempt to keep it dry. Coming to Korea and experiencing air quality changes and nutritional changes, my skin has become sensitive to everything. To try and control the oil I began using Skinfood's Egg White Pore foam. It worked well for a few weeks, making  my skin feel clean and soft, but the oiliness got worse. And I started getting these large pimples on my cheeks. So then, I switched to Skinfood's rice mask...this made my skin feel clean and smooth, but the oiliness continued to get worse.

Nothing seemed to be working until I sucked it up and went to the more expensive (still great price compared to the states) brand for skin Innisfree. I started with the Persimmon Toner for excess sebum (oil). Then a friend, who is Cauasian and has some severe acne issuse and oily skin, introduced me to Innisfree's Bija  anti-trouble facial foam. I bought the moisturizing lotion to go with it. They both contain torreya seed oil (found in Japan and Korea's Jeju island)-  applied on the skin it can heal inflammation, treat acne and boils. To remove make-up and dirt before cleansing, I use Innisfree's Green Barley No-Wash Cleansing Toner, which water based, with no alcohol.
All my products on the coffee table

And to top it off I was given some free masks, one of which was the Its real squeeze Kiwi Mask....I took a pic wearing the mask, but I look cray cray to say the least...so....but for the creative process...I did it...
Anyway, after a month and a half, all of these products together have done wonders on my skin-- reducing oil and getting rid of pimples and blemishes.

If any of you out there are using Korean beauty products let us know how they work for you!


17 comments:

  1. How to I get these products? The kid's acne is flaring up in spite of meds from the doctor and I'm trying to avoid the extra strength stuff if possible from the dermatologist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesstyle, for one. Others: Hmart. Mitsuwa. Uwajimaya. Probably Rakuten. Muji has a skin care line.

      Delete
  2. @Vrum I believe you can order them online from Amazon.com. I would trust them more than anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked and some of their products are on amazon.

      Delete
  3. It's been 3 years since I have been in Korea and even while there my favorite brand ever and will probably forever been Innisfree. I did try a lot of skincare while studying abroad and this brand just happened to be the best for my skin. This is coming from a very person who is very particular about what skincare I use and price. I also have a love ffor skincare the same way some women have a love for shoes....yea I might have a bit of a problem but what I can say is that I still use Innisfree products and you can buy them online now straight from them. I'll be ordering some this week actually because they are having a free shipping event. Happy dance!

    -AliyahKorea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the info, I will share it with my co-workers who are in the same situation with their skin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wondered about the skin types myself and it's good that we have similar skin types. Now it makes that much easier for POC's to find the right type of skin products for their skin. The ingredients in them seems harmless. I have combo skin. I would like for my skin to be soft--not too dry or oily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do some research and see what has worked for ncombo skin from Innisfree.

      Delete
  6. FYI, ladies...this stuff's made by a sistah. Skin ailments are a specialty of hers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use Korean skincare products, in fact I may have become a junkie. I buy them from koreadepart and wishtrend because they are the two or three who ship to Nigeria (I'm still judging YesStyle for telling me they don't have "logistics" in Nigeria <_<) The products/brands I use cover all the price ranges, I have some Skinfood, Etude and Innisfree along with Sulwhasso and SUM:37. I don't mind splurging because this year I decided that I will have clear skin lol. I don't have acne, the skin on my face is both oily and dry (!!!), I have dark spots/scars (which now seem to have faded)...a few months ago I saw a dermatologist due to the severe dryness on my face (I get dandruff like dry patches on my face usually before the rainy season here) who prescribed some products that made my face worse, I think I'm allergic to benzoyl peroxide and that seems to be in most Western skin-care products.

    I decided to try Korean products after my colleague at work gave me some. She saw the sorry state my face was in and gave me a sheet mask and a peeling gel. I loved the way my skin felt afterwards and decided I wanted to try Korean skin care. My main issue before venturing in that world was that I did not want any products that were "brightening" and the like. I initially bought everything I could find on koreadepart in this 10 step Korean skin care routine piece, yes I do the 10 step, everyone around me says its too much and I say my face hasn't melted off yet. I've found Korean products are much nicer and milder on my skin. My face has really improved, it's more moisturised and the dry patches have significantly reduced. My face is clearer and feels softer too. I think I've been using Korean skin care products for 3 months now, those products are running out so I topped up the ones that I felt were good (I had to stop using a serum that I felt made my face oily although it did not cause me to break out). I also decided to buy from wishtrend which seems to have brands that I haven't seen anywhere else. The Klairs moisturising mask sheet I bought from them is absolutely awesome, so is the snail mucus moisturing cream, Gosh I can write essays on Korean skincare products, I love them (at least the ones I use).

    I am also proud to say that I use traditional Yoruba skincare remedies as well, specialy mixed black soap with camwood, lime and eyin aro (it's a black liquid that is apparently good for the skin). I also use eyin aro on it's own on my face sometimes. This year is my skincare year, I can't see myself using Western products again, if I can't get my hands on Korean products I'll use Yoruba ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mixed black soap with camwood, lime and eyin aro

      ...Got any links?

      Delete
  8. I shop at Koreadepart as well as W2Beauty. Both are very good companies that ship directly from Korea and have contracts with cosmetic companies for supplies. Cosmicyoruba makes a great point about the use of black soap. I find that it is very effective.

    I'm a 10 step junkie myself, and have found that my tone and coloring have evened up using this ten step program. Other brands I also use, outside of Innisfree and Nature Republic and Manyo and Sulwhasso. I really love the paper facial masks versus the mud and gel masks. Although, there are really excellent mud and gel masks to be found.
    I have combination skin, and so trial and error is really the name of the game for me. I really like ordering from Koreadepart and W2beauty, because these companies believe in sending samples with your orders, so you can try certain products and see if you would want to explore a company or product even more.
    I've been doing the 10 step skin care program for several months now, and using Korea products for the better part of a year. My skin has improved dramatically.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! I have not tried the 10 step program yet but I think I shall. @cosmicyoruba I also use black soap. Thanks for adding your testimonies ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a bit disappointed because they don't seem (I've never tried their products but I took my time to look for information and products on official brand sites) to have a lot of body skincare products, my body needs them so yeah, too bad :( Also the fact that the 10 step routine is too long and expensive for me so I won't buy all of that. And my last point would be that I'm a bit lost with their products information...I buy most of my skincare products at the pharmacy and it usually says stuff like "for very dry skin", "good for eczema, dark spots, etc", so I know what to buy and what the product is likely to do to my skin. But it's different with Korean skincare products that seems uniformized or aimed at anybody with any type of skin. I think I've only found one mini-line of very moisturizing face creams from a Korean brand, a netizen recommended it to me a while ago. I'll try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I needed this post. I've had some Innisfree products in my amazon.com cart for FOREVER but hadn't purchased yet. Totally about to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.