11.23.2014

Storytime: My Uncle, Siddig El Fadil, and Appeasing Ancestors through Names

So the Uncle and I have this weekly ritual; on Saturdays, I try my hand at some rather creative recipes and he acts as my willing guinea pig.  Over meals, we chat about shows and dissect their writing.  We also have a lot of sociological conversations which tie back into our TV show dissection.

So I recently got him watching Deep Space Nine, and this past Friday, actor Siddig El Fadil (Dr. Julian Bashir) celebrated his 49th birthday.

Me: By the way, check out his full name - Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi.

My Uncle: Wow. That's like 17 ancestors. *blinks* Read that again?

Me: (laughing) Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi.

My Uncle: *nods* Sounds like the parents on both sides didn't want to leave anybody one out. They probably didn't want to offend anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.