12.29.2014

Anniversaries in Media

Before the year ends, I want to give a shout out to the creators of Samurai Champloo, as 2014 marked the 10th anniversary of its release.

Behold - the only anime I ever loved:

Meet Jin, the fictional love of my life

Though...others may prefer Mugen....

By fusing Edo-era Japanese history and hip hop culture, SamCham creators showed the world that hip hop and the Way of the Samurai were kith and kin.




Secondly, 2014 marked the 20th anniversary of The Crow's release, starring Brandon Lee, son of the immortal Bruce Lee himself.




RIP, man.  You were taken way too soon.

So if you're not up to speed on these two phenomenal works of art, add them to your 2015 list of resolutions.

Speaking of, what are your thoughts towards the new year, Narrators?

4 comments:

  1. Props to them, including Nujabes. I've never watched it but I know some of the songs of the OST. I love them, those from "Departure" OST and "Impression". Chill hip-hop. I'll check the anime out one day, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you watch it from beginning to end, and then realize there aren't anymore episodes, you'll be devastated.

      Delete
  2. Its a great fun-loving yet emotional anime. Well composed music. I first watched it 7 or 8 yrs ago. Its a must watch. RIP Nujabes, Reflections Eternal. Big up Shingo Annen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, talk about being taken way too soon. When I read about the death of Nujabes, I thought about that old Chris Rock joke about how only the good ones die...while artists like Vanilla Ice are still alive.

      Delete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.