9.26.2015

Sense8 (2015)


Howdy! Been a while. Just wanted to tell you guys about a show a friend introduced to me on Netflix. Its called Sense8. Now, it took me a couple of episodes to get into it, but when I did I couldn't stop. I don't want to give too much away, but the cast is diverse and extremely talented. The plot literally revolves around eight strangers from different parts of the world: Kenya, India, Germany, Mexico, England, USA (2), and Korea who suddenly become mentally and emotionally tied together. One of my favorite connections is that of the Kenyan and Korean woman. Although it is science fiction sit touches on many issues including politics, identity, sexuality, gender, and religion. It will give you a rush. I have never, ever, ever in my life been into science fiction. This is probably because I was never introduced to anything good, until now. It has been renewed for a second season, but the actual date has not been released so here's your chance to get on the bandwagon. If you've seen it, what'd you think?

2 comments:

  1. After the first couple of episodes, I too fell in love with it. Because of the cast (Freema Agyeman, Jaime Clayton, Naveen Andrews), I watched it the day it premiered.

    While some of the characterization of Asian men was problematic (the Korean family, the Indian women's potential father-in-law), Naveen Andrews kicked so much ass.

    I also rolled my eyes when the Indian Sensate saw the German Sensate fully naked at her wedding, and we got that cliched romance of Indian woman passing up Indian guy for a white guy, and the obligatory white guy has a "large trunk" comment, even though he was nothing to write home about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In regards to Kala and Wolfgang's connection, I actually got so into the characters and their story lines that I forgot about their ethnicities and cultural backgrounds. As a matter of fact, I didn't even know there was such a thing as an Indian woman/ White man stereotype. Although there are so many stereotypes in that show that are cringeworthy- I think it's simple enough and there's just enough background to get the storyline moving and we'll get to see the characters grow (hopefully).

      Two things I am rolling my eyes at though is the way the show is going, although there is not just one lead character, you get a sense of who's 'leading' the show and this season has been...? you guessed it- the two White American characters and the White Icelandic character. Even with the pic used in this post- I can't help but notice the four White-looking characters on top and the 4 'minorities' on the bottom. Accident or coincidence?

      And also I've been reading comments about the show and most viewers seem to think (SPOILER ALERT) that Riley may be the new 'Mother' of this cluster since she's the only one that's been able to connect with all of the sensates thus possibly making her the 'strongest' and everyone fought tooth and nail to save her and her only. Most of the characters have been in a life or death situation at least once (or twice) yet only 1-3 sensates (or more but not all) helped them at a time.) This reminds me of the White-damsel-in-distress complex aka "we must save the White woman at all cost" and making the blonde White woman the most powerful (if it turns out to be the case) aka "She's a Goddess and she's everything, let's bow to her any chance we get."

      Delete

Comments are no longer accepted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.